The Talking Point: Air Conditioning!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by gelee, Aug 11, 2013.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Could you tell if it was turned off before game one or not?

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    yes, please bring all these big tournaments to wonderful sunny California, tho our weather might be a bit dry, we have wonderful weather 98% of the time, and only 30% humidity, so no stickiness whatsoever!!! :p

3. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    The fact is this thread is going nowhere and should be closed

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I could tell you the first 4 matches were not as hot as last one..spectators did not use "paper fan" in the first 4 matches..unlike the last match...

5. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I did not watch LCW vs LD in first set as I was busy with media..I did go back to watch in2nd game and it was really hot and hotter than INA vs DEN and INA vs China...I did not know when it was turned off ,either first game or 2nd game...

6. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    The organizer is not handled 100% by CBA, it is by Sport Bureau and many things did not go smoothly..For example:for Welcome party, they decided one person per country..Shocking!!( it is nothing to do with CBA, even CBA tried to persuade them to have more people but the rule of Guangzhou province, not to have "the waste" rule since March), schedule practice should be signed off by referee but at one point, on eof the organizer made the practice schedule where Chinese players had 3 times ( 1 in main hall and 2 times in practice hall) and INA had 1 time, but NO in the main hall...Transportation issue, not many capable speakinbg English staff...I can tell you that even CBA did not have authorities on many issues...

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and none of the gyms have air-conditioning so the possibility of a/c manipulation is automatically a non-issue!

8. gundamzaku

working professional

it's funny you mentioned homecourt advantage because i was listening to the horrible cantonese commentators and there has been numerous times when it was a close line call and the call went to the chinese player, and the commentators would say that it's because of home court advantage...are you serious? what kind of thinking is that, it's no better than in the old days of the korean line judges calling all the shots in favor of the korean players!!!

9. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    There are about more than 10 International line judges and some of them are umpires....

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i thought after the Korean incident BWF are using umpires who are not on active umpiring as linejudges. IIRC, those umpires during the finals do not look like locals.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in terms of linejudging and umpiring during the MS final, i think while they are not perfect, there were no sign of bias.

it seems that both players have had their share of borderline calls but both seems to be mature enough now to make a big fuss about it.

LD got faulted 2-3 times during net kill, the first one was a good call, but the second one was a bad call (and LCW picked up the kill anyway).

12. gelee

gelee Regular Member

Thanks for validating some of the information here huang. I think most of us here already came to the conclusion that the AC was turned off deliberately during the MSF.

13. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    The drift in Singapore and Istora were worse than in Guangzhou...I can tell you that most of the players complained about the quality of Li Ning shuttle-cocks...as you know that Li-Ning also sponsored Indonesia national tournaments ( Sirnas) and same problem had been brought up...

14. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    We have to understand that eventhough it listed the organizer is Guangzhou Badminton, been told that Guangzhou Badminton outsources this event to Sport Bureau and many of the issues ,Sport Bureau was not aware of/familiar with ....at the end it was a successful event considering how expensive the tickets...ID card was charged US$ 250 each,other countries charge US$ 100 per person...INA had to pay over 18 ID cards..

#234 huangkwokhau, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

:eek: were they gold plated.:D

From someone in the know, do you know how much power does BWF have over thing's like air conditioning. I know they obviously did nothing but I just imagine there would be meeting's and briefing handed out daily especially if there had been complaint from day 1. Surely if they had sat down and made the decision at the start of the day briefed organizers, this kinda stuff wouldn't happen.

16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    They did, but I can say that quite of few issues that BWF could not do anything...for example,about welcome party, BWF was notified just a day about the policy of " each person each country"...it is up to the host, not BWF..on this AC issue, BWF should be responsible , in term of taking care of players' health

17. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    One thing they did well is giving out certificates to the players/officials that you have attended Wang Lao JI BWF World Championships and signed by Paul Erik Hoyer....hehehe...

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Thanks for the insight, Pretty embarrassing then that BWF made the decision to keep it on all day were ignored and did nothing.

19. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    In my opinion, BWF should have stopped the match if it is true that organizer turned off the AC, unless it was broken...BWF has a call but they did not do it..

20. gundamzaku

working professional
    wait, didn't the came out on top and won in the finals with spectacular shots?

wow!!!!