ZM62 Fire reviews and comments

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by zombie0517, Jan 31, 2015.

1. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    Just curious man, how many pounds of pressure was applied to the string prior to measurement. Or is your measurement taken without stretching?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

On the other ZM Fire thread, he did measure them under tension...

#42 visor, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  3. badacc

badacc Regular Member

I can confirm the same findings as other who find the string moves a lot in the beginning but once the notches appear, the strings no longer move.

I do have a question regarding the metallic ping sound, does it go away very quickly? The string no longer emit the sound after 5 clear hits lol.

4. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I never had much luck with Zymax strings, but I was always attracted by the price. Unfortunately the fire range didn't work for me. My string preferences change quite frequently though. I did have a decent go with ZM65 @ 25lbs. that was probably the best setup I had in terms of feel, playability, and durability. ZM62 @ 23lbs. felt great, but it snaps quickly, and you can't go too high without risking it snap during a warm up. ZM62F did feel more durable since it actually endured a whole day, but it just didn't carry the same feeling as the standard ZM62, at least not for me. The Fire range just felt too soft for me? It was a very strange feeling. I had NBG98 @26 in another racket and I loved it, even if it wasn't in my favourite racket at the time.

I've tried the 2nd gen (non-platinum) ZM62 (ivory, yellow), 65 (yellow, ivory), 67 (red, yellow), 70 (ivory) and the best feeling was definitely ZM62, and best playability was ZM65 for me. ZM66F and ZM66FP both didn't work well for me either, I played with both at either 25 or 26lbs. and although shots went the distance, it just didn't sound as good as I hoped? The power wasn't there either, nothing impressive. I don't go for the metallic sound as some people like. I like the bassy loud sounds from BG80 ideally, but NBG98 comes at a close second even though it sounds higher pitched.

Maybe I had an off day or my timing was just horrible since I do switch rackets often (BS10, ARC10, L70, AT900T). So I never gave each string more than a match's worth of time. I still have one set to try.

I'm not that great of a player either so don't take my words for granted. From my experience so far my favourite string set up are:

1. NBG98 (packs) @ 26 (I decided to buy a reel after my 2nd day with this string since it had a drastic change after it settled, or I somehow got better after a day).
    2. BG66 Maxima (packs) @ 23 pre-stretch, off the reel feels completely different
    3. BG80 (reel) @ 23 pre-stretch or @ 26

I play with both feather (Aeroplane EG1130, LiNing A+100 or 300, random 'tourney' shuttles" and plastic (Mavis 300/350).

5. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I've just received a reel of Zymax Fire 62 in orange so I'll be putting it to the test as a standalone string and as a hybrid set.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

So far so good. I've tried ZM62 Fire at 25 and 26 lbs and it's showing minimal wear after a couple of weeks. I can hardly even see any notching on the strings.

Tension seems to be holding well, and I like how it plays. I feel it's a comfortable string to hit with and gives a nice boost to power shots.

In other words, this does just seem like an improved ZM62 -- especially in durability. And it's cheap too!

7. Zoidius

Zoidius Regular Member

Anyone tried this at higher tensions (27-31lbs)? Dabbled with sub .68 gauge strings from Ashaway (and Yonex) but never lasted longer than a week or two which isn't economical for me.

My record was 6 minutes when some ZM62 broke in the knockup!

So, is Fire or Gen2 an improvement in durability over the old/original?

Z.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The tightest I've tried is 26 lbs (although that feels really comfortable, so I might try 27 soon).

My impression so far is that it's much more durable than the old 62. But it's still a thin string, so it probably won't last long if you string it at 30 lbs.

If you like ZM62 Fire but need more durability, the obvious alternative would be ZM66 Fire.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Glad you like ZM62 Fire, Gollum!

For me, I still like the slightly softer feel and rough texture control of ZM62, but the Fire version has much better tension retention, durability and repulsion, such that I dare to increase tension to 26-27 lbs without fear.

#49 visor, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, I know what you mean about the rough texture. Although that seemed to disappear, or become less noticeable, as the tension went up.

You could argue that 62 was a better low--medium tension string, whereas 62F is a better medium--high tension string. Though I think in most respects 62F is just better all around.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

That's a very good description...

62 for lower tensions (not more than 24 for durability purposes) and 62F for higher tensions (which it can withstand and also provides better control to compensate for the smoother texture).

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Ah yes, that must be why I had this odd feeling that ZM62 roughness became less "noticeable" as tension went up -- because it was less "needed" at slightly higher tensions.

13. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    So is the 60fire even more special than 62fire? I thought 66 was grest until I tried 62 with the right racquet/tension.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, the 60 Fire prototype was amazingly and unbelievably even more repulsive, more control, more feel and rougher texture than 62 Fire. I've never played with such a string as effortless as this!

It's too bad it won't be produced in the near future. I still have it on my racket... I refuse to cut it even though it's notched severely after 4 months of play.

#54 visor, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I feel breaking strings every two weeks is too slow, so I need ZM60 Fire. Need it now. Nao! Ashaway gief moar thinner string pls!

...oh dear, I seem to be infected with the BC string dementia. I hear it's incurable.

#55 Gollum, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... surprisingly I had the 60F strung at 22x23 lbs in the winter and it still hasn't broken, only severely notched. Maybe [MENTION=2233]Gollum[/MENTION] , don't mishit so often?

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Cheeky monkey. My ZM62F breaks so far have not been from mishits. :p I could tell the string was going to break because it was nearly worn through.

Also string tends to last longer at 22 lbs than at 26. Just sayin'. But I still want that 60F.

After all, two weeks is twice ZM62 durability.

18. GreenroomBS

GreenroomBS Regular Member

First play with the ZM62 Fire today. It feels very good and repulsive on my BS12. String movement isn't that bad.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Had crazy fun tonight playing control shots deliberately more than usual around the front and mid court. I was projecting LYD :D...

Pushes, jabs, net play, defensive blocks etc were all beautifully controlled with the help of the intimate feel and rough texture thin string grip on the shuttle.

20. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Ok real test begins now my bg66u has arrived. Trying to resist cutting the 62! I reckon 26lb as the 62 is at 24lb.