2016 Badminton ASIA Championships : SEMIFINALS (30th April)

Discussion in 'Continental Championships 2016' started by CLELY, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That's why I said if they are really that good (badminton players).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_badminton

Double Olympic gold winners for Badminton

Thus far China dominated with only South Korea represented once.

Athlete
    Nation Olympics Gold Silver Bronze Total
    Gao Ling [​IMG] China (CHN) 2000–2008 2 1 1 4
    Kim Dong-moon [​IMG] South Korea (KOR) 1996–2004 2 0 1 3
    Lin Dan [​IMG] China (CHN) 2008–2012 2 0 0 2
    Zhao Yunlei [​IMG] China (CHN) 2012 2 0 0 2
    Zhang Ning [​IMG] China (CHN) 2004–2008 2 0 0 2
    Zhang Jun [​IMG] China (CHN) 2000–2004 2 0 0 2
    Ge Fei [​IMG] China (CHN) 1996–2000 2 0 0 2
    Gu Jun [​IMG] China (CHN) 1996–2000 2 0 0 2

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Zhao Yunlei had the distinction of winning two disciplines in both the WD and XD at the 2012 London Summer Olympics

Women's doubles
    [​IMG] Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei China (CHN)
    Mixed doubles
    [​IMG] Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei China (CHN)

In the 2004 Athens, Zhang Ning, like LD, won 2 Singles gold.

Zhang Ning (CHN) [​IMG] Mia Audina (NED) Silver [​IMG] Zhou Mi (CHN) Bronze
    and 2008 Beijing
    Zhang Ning (CHN) [​IMG] Xie Xingfang (CHN) Silver [​IMG] Maria Kristin Yulianti (INA) Bronze

And Ge Fei and Gu Jun won twice in WD:
    1996 Atlanta
    Women's Doubles
    [​IMG] Ge Fei and Gu Jun (CHN)
    and 2000 Sydney
    Women's Doubles
    [​IMG] Ge Fei and Gu Jun (CHN)

As for XD, Gao Ling and Zhang Jun were double winners:
    2000 Sydney
    [​IMG] Gao Ling and Zhang Jun (CHN)
    2004 Athens
    [​IMG] Gao Ling and Zhang Jun (CHN)

And South Korea's Kim Dong-moon also won twice in XD and MD:
    Mixed Doubles
    1996 Atlanta
    [​IMG] Gil Young-ah and Kim Dong-moon (KOR}
    Men's Doubles
    2004 Athens
    [​IMG] Kim Dong-moon and Ha Tae-kwon (KOR)

So LD's success has already been achieved by Zhang Ning in WS.
    And ZYL has the satisfaction of winning gold in two events, WD and XD. So did Kim Dong-moon. Hard to beat!
    Can she and LD win a third gold? We do not have to wait too long.

#382 Loh, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    kwun likes this.
  3. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

QUOTE="Loh, post: 2453423, member: 1032"]If we think winning two Olympic gold medals is great, just take a look at the table below and we have to admire those who won 8 golds and more. Granted that every sport/game is different and conditions change over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multiple_Olympic_gold_medalists

More medals are available in some events than others, and the number of events in which medals are available overall have changed over time.

No. Athlete Nation Sport Years Games Gender Gold Silver Bronze Total

1 Phelps, MichaelMichael Phelps [​IMG] United States Swimming 2004–2012 Summer M 18 2 2 22
    2 Latynina, LarisaLarisa Latynina [​IMG] Soviet Union Gymnastics 1956–1964 Summer F 9 5 4 18
    3 Nurmi, PaavoPaavo Nurmi [​IMG] Finland Athletics 1920–1928 Summer M 9 3 0 12
    4 Spitz, MarkMark Spitz [​IMG] United States Swimming 1968–1972 Summer M 9 1 1 11
    5 Lewis, CarlCarl Lewis [​IMG] United States Athletics 1984–1996 Summer M 9 1 0 10
    6 Bjørndalen, Ole EinarOle Einar Bjørndalen [​IMG] Norway Biathlon 1998–2014 Winter M 8 4 1 13
    7 Dæhlie, BjørnBjørn Dæhlie [​IMG] Norway Cross-country skiing 1992–1998 Winter M 8 4 0 12
    7 Fischer, BirgitBirgit Fischer [​IMG] Germany Canoeing 1980–2004 Summer F 8 4 0 12
    9 Kato, SawaoSawao Kato [​IMG] Japan Gymnastics 1968–1976 Summer M 8 3 1 12
    9 Thompson, JennyJenny Thompson [​IMG] United States Swimming 1992–2004 Summer F 8 3 1 12
    11 Biondi, MattMatt Biondi [​IMG] United States Swimming 1984–1992 Summer M 8 2 1 11
    12 Ewry, RayRay Ewry [​IMG] United States Athletics 1900–1908 Summer M 8 0 0 8[/QUOTE]
    can't compare badminton with swimming. in swimming there can be up to 10 events a person can participate while badminton the most 2. I thought we are badminton fans that is why we are in this forum.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    CLELY please start the thread for tomorrow.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    ZYL could win two more in Rio.

6. highmountain

Men single is the most high profile match of the 5 events. It got the most attention and people talking, the core of badminton.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think we need a thread just for this.

visor, kwun and Maurice MJC like this.
  8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

That s why LD played 5 tournaments in 5 weeks because it s to do with beginning with the end in mind.
    The end is the OG and part of achieving that end is to get to WR2, otherwise he will have LCW in his half, assuming CL and LCW are ranked TOP 2. ( I assume same country players will be in different halves based on OG rule.) LD s key objective before OG is to get enough ranking points to reach WR2. LD did not play 5 tournaments in 5 weeks so his fans can enjoy seeing him lose!!

Let s get real. Are you delighted that LD lost to LCW? LCW used to have to have a clear lead over LD in the final game to defeat LD. LCW s two recent victories over LD were won, coming from behind, a huge contrast from the past. LCW no longer has Rashid. Tommy Sugiarto now has Rashid and could not beat CHN players since ( Tommy had beaten CL and LD before he had Rashid.)

LCW now has Frost and Hendrawan and you can tell they have done a lot of homework so that LCW has better awareness of opponent vulnerability. It has nothing to do with his opponents. It s about having the mental alertness under pressure, to use the best tactics at the right time and he has all the skills and experience to deliver. There s no guarantee but at least LCW still has lots of room to improve, in that space.

Again, my question to you, are you absolutely delighted LD lost to LCW yesterday?

OneToughBirdie, soulpx, blabl and 4 others like this.
  9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Well, you have to allocate 2 hours and 41 minutes of your time.

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Really surprised this isn't being mentioned more. By far the most incredible outcome of the tournament so far. 2 hours and 41 minutes! Arguably three matches in one!

Regarding LCW vs LD, nothing surprising there. The usual fanatics looking for excuses for their idol hehe. Seriously though, there's nothing new there - LCW beats LD in a non-major tournament. Been happening for over a decade.

blabl, Maurice MJC and visor like this.
  11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Best post of the thread.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

blabl likes this.
  12. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    The result was predictable at how LD played, he didn't reveal all his cards here.:cool: Do you all really believe he would give it all here?:rolleyes: There's more to this LD vs LCW as these guys has some aces to bring out the table. But I'm delighted in the end no one had an injury that's for sure:p. During the post interview, LD and LCW looked relaxed in answering the questions with occasional smile from LCW. Looking more for a "better match"from the two in the future.:D

13. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

The result for China Master the same, CL didn't want to reveal all his cards therefore LD can win. Do you really believe CL would give his all before Rio?

14. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Of course, that's why come this year, I said everyone will begin with the end in mind. It's all about preparing, probing, conditioning, calculating, sparring, targeting to eventually peak in time. And I also said the best is yet to be seen not here but in Rio. We all can't wait to see them putting 100% like in Beijing and London, but last night LD's just using 5% in the third game. He didn't actually bother taking the last shot and proceeded to shake LCW's hand. Why would LCW fans would be upset if we're merely pointing out LD doesn't seems like even trying?:)

Shuttle007 likes this.
  15. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Guys chill relax. No worries. Be cool and calm. Oh come on. The MS match itself is long over already. I am sure Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan have both moved on. That is it. Obviously Lee Chong Wei won and Lin Dan lost yesterday. Lets all of us just accept the result.

From agree to disagree just move on. There is no point to keep on arguing about the MS result yesterday. Lets accept it. Any arguments won't change the result.

Be happy and remain happy. Sorry for playing the role of th bad guy here.

kwun likes this.
  16. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

At least LD accept the defeat graciously like a man

blabl and renbo like this.
  17. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    My bet is firmly locked on LD after seeing his China Masters performance thus I'm eagerly waiting for Rio. I want to see his 100% performance. On the side, I'm placing a bet for a high end racket at our choice with a club friend, with me favoring LD and my friend favoring CL. Let's see if I could rake in some money from my 'bandar' and at the same time get my racket of choice. Now if you're wondering why I'm so rooting on LD...can't wait , can't wait;)

18. highmountain

I am both LCW and LD fan, LD may have lost in the semi but we all know he will be BACK. In Rio, we hope both LD and LCW will reach the final. either way one will create history. If LD wins he surely be a LEGEND in badminton men single, and if LCW wins he will create history in his home country by being the 1st Olympics gold medalist.

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

LD's attitude in this match was so relax, I rarely had seen him with that low tension when playing against LCW. Not saying his mind was absent, but I felt he was feeling at ease. And it showed in his precision play, specially at the net, where he had the upper hand against LCW. His hand was relaxed.
    For LCW, his tactic seemed to be a bit different. He used a lot of flat-fast lift to the back and it looked like KD did run more then him, or at least as much. Normally, this is LD's tactic, and LCW runs twice more. Moreover, on a number of occasions LCW appeared ready on LD's flat lifts and jumped to attack them.
    It is interesting to see the evolution of their encounters.

blabl likes this.
  20. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I want to personally congratulate LCW on advancing to the final. I want to thank LCW and Lin Dan for giving us a fabulous match.