ever play w partner that throws racket?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by surge, Sep 19, 2007.

1. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    throwing ...not really, but i've seen some competitive players whack their racket against the floor really hard(after making an error). Was thinking he gotta be rich

2. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    well, my friend does throw his racket when he is super piss off. Miss a smash, drop or anything more than a certain number of time, he will do that. To me, thats a bad habit.

3. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

I saw one do the exact same thing mid-game. The guy tried in vain to hit the shuttle, but swung too low and hit the floor instead. His shaft broke in two! All us spectators bemoaned his racket's loss.

Part of the game I guess...when it happens, it happens

4. daviddoff2005

daviddoff2005 Regular Member

Surge is definitely talking about me. I am a bad tempered person and I am sorry if I am making everyone at IMH uncomfortable. I will try to change this terrrible habit and promise everybody playing at IMH that it wont happen again. If that day I cant play well, I will go home instead of spoiling everybody's mood.
    Again, IMH people, Surge, NetAsia, and others, please accept my sincerest apology.

5. aheng

aheng Regular Member

this idea was ever come across to me strongly once when i am on the way back to home after a disaster performance. i m happy i can control my emotion well during the games, but still need to be release out after the session.
    maybe due to my accounts nature, my rational won over my emotion, ended up i torture myself by doing rope skipping 1000 times...haha

6. surge

surge Regular Member

hey david,dont take i personal. there were quite a few that i met the last few times. and you are not the reason why i post this. it was another player. they were playing at the other court when i was playing next court. he kept shouting and threw his racket. when i told him cool down, he ask me to shut up.but the shouting was rather irritating.

your case i was just sitting there not playing. so it doesnt affect anything. just getting a general feel on this.

i just thought that we dont drill ourselves so much so no point getting upset w ourselves. only social players.

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i have a friend, he also sometimes just woke up at wrong side of bed. play badly. after a game, he just say 'that is it for the day', and sit down on bench for entire session. chatting and laughing with other friends. sometimes, we do play not in form. so, just take a break from playing. this will enable us to concentrate back in games after few days break. breakaway.......:D

8. daviddoff2005

daviddoff2005 Regular Member

Thanks Bro, yeah i have to remember that i only social player. Must watch less of those professional videos.

9. Jun Wei

Jun Wei Regular Member

Vid, actually i am alright with you throwing the racket....haha. The other time, i guess i may just smash my racket into pieces if not for my twisted ankle left me stranded on the floor. after so much training and playing,
    i actually twist my ankle in such a embarassing way. i understand sometimes the frustation does built up. hehe. next time just take off your shoe and fling it across the hall. works sometimes. haha.

10. surge

surge Regular Member

yesterday i went for a game and partner some ex-national player....the day before went gym and leg was wobbly still but hand itchy. during game cannot perform at all cos legs slow to everything! kena F left right up down center!!!:eek:

feel so bad, kept apologising to him. last friday also partnered him and win easily ( he is good, he set, i just smash and he block)). then yesterday he was so pissed w me. say when i good very good when i off form really sucks!!! hahaha

i smashed he turn around, " that is a smash ah??" really throw face man me...hee

then i just went bath and go home. dont spoil others game...:p

we all have our days...but never throw racket la....no money buy new one if broken

#30 surge, Sep 20, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  11. quark_816

quark_816 Regular Member

Engineer
    i've never partnered that throws rackets but I've played against one.He constantly throws his racket when he can't get to the shuttle on time.its really funny watching throw his rackets.:)

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    O Yeah

We've been using this collective-insult-therapy since 1987.
    And it works great... it's very very effective in curing the habit. :D

All you need is plenty of alert players and racquets.
    In our group, this therapy had become so popular that everyone would instantly join in the moment someone threw down a racquet in anger.
    Once when my partner (a new joinee) flung his racquet, he was utterly taken aback when a lot of others ran all the way over to our court to drop their racquets... and, mind you, I'm talking of a very large playing hall.

Embarrassment is a great curative tonic.
    Especially when taken in large, sudden doses.
    :D

#32 Oldhand, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..did they..

...(the other players) also flung their rackets or just.......simply dropped their rackets??..2 different actions, ya know..:p;)

14. Kimmysolucious

Kimmysolucious Regular Member

Funny you should mention this thread.

In fact, my "partner" does this all the time. He says he gets angry with himself. He will throw his racket in the air, talk/yell at himself, throw the shaft on the floor so it will spring straight back up, thwack himself on the calf, etc, etc... Mind you, he does all this with a Nano9000.

I try to lighten his mood, but it never works. I guess I learned to play with it or else I will hit HIM with my own racket!! no just kidding. my 900T is too valuable to do that. lol.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This behaviour is used by some players to raise their game. Unfortunately, I believe it works for only a minority of players. Two famous racquet players for whom it works are John McEnroe and Camilla Martin.

It's much easier to think you play better when angry in a sport that involves a lot of strength.

In a game of badminton, where delicate shots and timing of shots are crucial, I believe getting angry does not improve play (for the majority).

Being motivated and yelling after winning a point is different to being angry with oneself.

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

When people shout and throw their racquets, everybody on every court freezes and stares at him/her. I actually consider that as bad manner. >_>

17. No one

No one Regular Member

went to a tournament recently where I saw a guy in the finals lose a so-so point (I think it was 14-15) and he got so angry he smashed his racquet (NS9000) to the ground. Racquet head completely gone:eek:.... "Luckily" a club member of his was close by and lent him another racquet....the guy went on to win the doubles final with his partner.

Well I guess if you are rich enough then you can do what you want with your racquet.:( I don't think I could afford to make such an extravagant gesture myself. But for myself, the guy's action really soured the game for me. Up till that point it had been ok to watch, but to get so upset over a game--even in a tournament--that's just too much. Like surge said, we're not professionals.

never played with such a partner, thank goodness.

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yeah, Anger is a double edge sword. It'll pump you full of adrenaline and force you to move all out but you lose the calmness needed for tactical awareness and shot placement. For some people, they need to get angry to perform at their peak.

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

O Yeah

That sounds very much like Taufik Hidayat :p

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

lol

Drop, of course.
    That's why they would run over to our court. :p

And all around the 'offender' too :D
    That was embarrassing, to say the least :D

Ahhhh... that was another time in another country :(

In Singapore, few would even drop their racquets, much less throw them around.
    In fact, here is where they mollycoddle their racquets...
    ... there's rim protection, ribbed bags, anti-scratch tape... the works :D