Taufik Hidayat getting worse?

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by romizone, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

"Getting worse" is putting it mildly..

..TH is arguably a "past history"...(like someone said), perhaps since 2 yrs ago; although his SEA Games' MS title, last yr, was sort of probably his farewell major title..:rolleyes:

As for the in-between-back & forth exchange between Hau-ge and cooler, well, i thought i was reading a repeat script from the 2007 U.S. Open thread:p; although i see it as more of a silly entertainment (it's almost like the Pemuda vs. X Ball's version of bantering)...Perhaps in 4 yrs, we should all chip in to buy Hau-ge and cooler plane & badminton tix to watch the Olympics in London and enjoy some R&R; instead of spending time in this forum doing the same old routine..:p;)

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

ah, never mind, TH should live in our memories as the great player he once was, everyone loses their edge towards the end of their career, be it when they are 25, 30 or 35. people decline for all sorts of different reasons, injuries, age, marriage, kids, money .... let's just thank him for all the great games he has entertained us with in the past and move on.

3. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Considering the fact that he's the defending champion, losing in the 1st match, straight set, and terrible scoreline, somehow isn't acceptable. At all.

Please don't misunderstand me. I also give credit to MAS uncle for outplaying TH. It's just, well, TH's poor performance gave higher contribution for his fall.

4. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    INA fans in INA can probably still see TH 2 more times this year:
    2008 National Championships; in November.
    2008 Superliga Badminton; in December [if there is no SS Finals].

After that, he may retire... :)

5. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

Why must retire so soon? I am not ready to see TH retire yet....
    we see many badminton stars come and go, yet TH is so unique and tak tergantikan (what's that in English).
    I dislike many things about him, I hate it when friends tease me as a TH's fan, yet I must admit that I love watching his great play when he plays his best.

Is it not possible for him to bounce back? :rolleyes:

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^And..^^

..what sort of motivation(s) for him to make his comeback??...:confused::p:confused:

7. romizone

romizone Regular Member

Profesional Player
    Just adding a word
    Tak tergantikan = irreplaceable ....

8. qinyujun

qinyujun Regular Member

Accountancy
    He is a second to none athlete in the world and I like him and encourage!

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

if only they know when to stop, ie right at the top. it's always that one last tournament to prove you're still the best. but unfortunately like so many before them just couldn't accept that until they are already on the downward slope of no return.

#109 AlanY, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

but olympics is quite different as a 4 yearly tournament. 4 years is a long time particularly for singles. that's probably why we haven't had a defending champion successfully retained his/her title until this year with ZN against all odds.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Stopping is easy... but knowing when to stop isn't :)

When you are on the peak, you have only two choices - fight to retain your top spot, or take another step. Unfortunately, your next step can only be down ;)

For many champions, only an increasing frequency of failure brings home the realization that they are no longer the best. But then, the desire to fight that realization grabs them... and, more often than not, that desire doesn't let go until they have embarrassed their honourable selves.

Michael Schumacher, Sachin Tendulkar, David Beckham, Rudy Hartono... Taufik Hidayat could very well be in this list.

Very few retire from the scene when they are on the top of their game. One reason is that it's difficult to imagine that failure lies ahead when one is still winning.

Try telling Lin Dan to retire... he'd counter that with one word - Why? :p He might be in for a defeat (and a long downhill ride) in his very next tournament... but, now when he's just won the Olympic gold, he has no reason to think he will lose just ahead.

However, there have been exceptions like Donald Bradman and Jahangir Khan. Perhaps, they stepped down because they had monopolized their summits for so long that it was time to take the next step... the step down :)

I'm guessing that Taufik won't leave until he has sung his own elegy :rolleyes:

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

you only know the best time to stop once you'd passed it. if LD quit now he'll be forever wonder if he'd denied himself for the chance for the second gold in 4 year's time. ZN is a good example, 4 years ago when she became the olympic champion at 29, wouldn't be the best time to stop?

13. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

I guess you are right. I read it somewhere that Taufik said he want to retire in a 'natural way', when he won't be able to compete with Ina's younger players anymore. :rolleyes: The media keep asking him the question "will you retire?"

14. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    When the day HAFIZ able to beat Taufik, then he will retire...

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Unless their country wants them to continue due to lack of quality MS ;), not saying Indonesia doesnt have any.

WCH wanted to retire aft 2004 OG, but at the time, LCW was only 22, not matured/good/experienced enuf to take over. Of course WCH's achievements are nowhere compared to Taufik's or Lin Dan's but WCH, a degree holder, can make it pretty well in non badminton field had he retired at 27.
    Same scenario again with LCW, looks like he'll have to hold the Msia MS fort till next OG, when he's 30, till his juniors are ready to take over from him.

16. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Tendulkar has been losing it since 2003-04.
    Even in 03 he was not the same Tendulkar of old... You could say his decline started at the turn of the century.
    Murali is declining rapidly recently as well.

17. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    :D:D " natural way" means.........DIE.....;)

18. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Taufik is still way better to watch than Simon

19. rinewy

rinewy Regular Member

student
    I love Taufik:( its always joyful for me to c him win matches but stil have to accept the fact-lah he no longer played with 'killing Qi';). but stil love to c him around in some tourneys.....as i stil wanted to c him play:(:( tho he kind of clueless on court sometimes.:crying: addd oil ler...

20. totorosan

totorosan Regular Member

There have been instances of players making a comeback. Andre Agassi (he's tennis and not badminton) is one good example. He came out of nowhere to win some major tournaments. A lot of ppl have told him that he should retire since he can't possibly compete with the new players that are so much younger than him~ but he perservered... i think it's all about the fighting spirit.... Have not seen Tuafik's fighting spirit in the last few games.... perhaps dengue really hit him hard~ U can see the fighting spirit in LD's eyes as he started the Olympics match with LCW... somehow dun see it in LCW... which is a pity...