The worst habit possible?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bananakid, Nov 13, 2008.

1. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    You are definitely right with that one...
    I have seen players slam their rackets on the floor(not Lin Dan, but players who are not so good, yet have huge egos) when they make mistakes or lose a game that they "should" lose because the other player/team is better in terms of skill and everything else.

Or even worse, refuse to shake hands with his/her own partner after a loss... that's even worse!!!:mad:

2. Foppa17

Foppa17 Regular Member

I've never shaken my partners' hand after a game win or lose. If things go well there's usually a lot of high fiving during the game though. I guess it's just one of my habits and superstitions.

3. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    What I meant earlier was that sometimes some sore losers would refuse to shake his/her partner's hand after a loss, simply because they blame their partner for the loss, and not taking responsiblities themselves as well.

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I think not shaking hands with your partner/opponents is really bad. I always shake hands with everyone (even if I think the umpire is an idiot, my partner was terrible or my opponents cheated (alright, if they cheated, there'd be a few hard feelings). Not shaking hands is another badminton crime I really hate.

5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    beign a sore loser is really bad yeah, there are other aspects as well like the loser of the match making up excuses as to why they lost i actually laugh at some of the reasons cause there kinda funny when i hear some of the things people tell me or tell their friends why they lost. i played a guy once and kept him under 10 and his reason for loosing was that he hadnt had any sugar in his system since breakfast but that didnt stop him from going all out in the match. other times he used the excuse that he just ate, or that he was to tired but same deal didnt stop him from playing all out. oh well players will be like that.

6. wirre

wirre Regular Member

No doubt it is the unsportsmanship of bad line calls that irritates me most. All the others can be a product of how good or not so good a player is.

And bad winners I find even worse than bad losers. When I was in high school we used to meet the other schools in town for competitions. And although it was fun to beat the others it was a bit embarrassing too since our teacher/coach was such a bad winner and always had to rubb it in and humiliate not only the loosing sides teacher/coach but also the students:eek:
    Come on give me a break, who does that to kids, really:mad:

7. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I think deliberate bad calls are unforgivable, whether it's line calls, where someone clips the shuttle and it goes out and they claim it didn't touch them, or where it hits them square in the chest and then goes out and they try to claim it didn't hit them.

Apart from that one thing that really annoys me is that there is one player at my club who I partner sometimes, and when you are defending and your oppenents drop (a really good drop, tight to the net) and you get to it but have no option but to lift, he stands there and shouts at you to stay at the net (while your opponents are about to smash) and then he tries to defend the whole mid court and rear court on his own, and then when your opponents smash down the tram lines and win the point easily he looks at you like it's your fault for not covering the court!!! :eek:
    I mean WTF!

8. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    This is truely unacceptable & it annoys me the most, hence ranked # 1 on my list.
    a) lifts the shuttle when receiving a serve

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Some (more to do with personality, such as (p)) I agree, but some I don't. You already specify that's recreational level, and personally I do believe some of the ones you listed are "useful" under certain situation, when you try to make the game to be meaningful for both sides, or simply want to play a relaxing "lazy" game. ;)

For example, I use a lot of (a), when opponents are clearly below my level. I don't want to jump on their low quality serves with drives, drops or smashes. Give the opponents chance to keep the rally going, and let my partner be involved. I also use (d), if opponents are not great in back court games. It's very useful when you play club level mix doubles, when you serve to the ladies. It effectively lower their chance to return with a quality stroke, and eaisly break their formation. (f) does not need to explain, as I don't want to quickly kick off lower skilled players off court, but rather give them some chances to make the game a bit more meaningful. I also had to admit I tends to do (m) sometimes. When you try to masterize a stroke, you need some real game situation to practice. The pressure is the missing element from normal training drills. Of course, I don't do that all the time to the same partner in the same day, unless I want to be "greeted" in the parking lot. :D

Overall, I agreed that most are "bad habits" for competitive playing. However, if you (as a very skillful competitive player) decides to join a recreational level of playing, you have to adjust yourself into the crowd. Yes, by theory and higher standard, they are wrong. However, why they need to know all the "correct" ones when their goal is just some exercises? :rolleyes:

10. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Lifting the birdie, after a serve:p
    Have to stop doing this constantly in doubles:eek:

11. kimir

kimir Regular Member

played against an old man who drive-serves illegally (like a table tennis serve).

if the opponents return his serve to the baseline, he expects his partner to take it.

if the opponents return his serve to the front of the partner, he expects his partner to take it.

essentially the old man only wait for the shuttle in front of him. his partner was rather frustrated.

12. Nanospeeder

Nanospeeder Regular Member

Grad student
    Changing shuttle cocks when they are trailing....the aerodynamics of new shuttle travels faster/farther which throws off your rythmm.

Or use their feet to push/kick the shuttle to the other side instead of scopping or picking up the shuttlecock and flick it over.

13. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    changing the shuttle to break the other teams momentum is deffinetly a good technique and one thats used world wide, wouldnt really call it a bad habit for players to change the shuttle. plus there are also time when even you might be up but you still have to change the shuttle.

14. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

IT manager, Lifetime Badminton Player
    Thanks, I agree 100% . Maybe you can see this thread too http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62748

15. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    haha, when my partner in doubles comes in front of me to take my kill shot and I'm already there. --> then when they attempt the shot... the other side returns it and we lose the point... X_X (only the cases when i guess the rotation could be confusing or something like that)

#2 line calls... depending on their attitude and persistence arguing.

#3 high clearing a serve

#4 doesn't make a kill shot when it's an obvious one, especially at the net.

16. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Do you mean like a Tennis serve? I don't quite understand how you could use a Table Tennis serve in Badminton, seeing as how the shuttle would have to bounce off the floor then over the net :p

17. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I don't like playing with players who have no idea what's around them in doubles. I'm right there for a kill, and they try to do it to, but don't realize they're about to kill me. Like playing with stupid people who lift everything is fine with me, but the worst are the ones which make playing doubles dangerous for your own safety.

18. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef
    i have a really bad habit which is not listed out ... There are times when some people smashed to my back hand which land in front of me .... Me on the other hand will initially react with a back hand position and later i twist it again.... so i will hit the ball with the forehand face of the racket ..... in the end the ball will be a half court or a into net shot ..... Will explain if you guys dun understand ....

19. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    1. I hate partners who blame you for your weak defense when, in fact, it was his weak lift that forced your opponents to smash at you.

2. I hate partners who blame you for your "forced" errors when, in fact, he's got an equal number of "UNFORCED" errors, which is of course more unforgiveable.

3. I hate partners who laugh at you just to point out that you have a weak defense, which is basically because of his weak lift.

Yeah. You know who you are! I have beaten you in singles before, so don't act like you're better than me. Your footwork sucks! You're slow on the court! And your fancy shots rarely work! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Whew! I got carried away. At least it's off my chest now. :)

#39 venkatesh, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Nothing against you, but...

A better single player does not make a better one in doubles. Otherwise, CHN should win all events easily, as they have tons of top WS and MS players. I see many players in my club are not great single players due to slower movement (i.e. age, injury, etc), but they usually give the younger kids a lesson in doubles, with their crafty racket skills and experience. :rolleyes: