How do I train a backhand clear from the back corner?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TNBRE, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Couldn't have said it better. :)

I'll add one interesting detail: this grip mirroring continues when playing shots in front or behind you. However, it goes in opposite directions: on the forehand side, you shift towards a thumb grip as the shuttle travels behind you; on the backhand side, you shift towards a thumb grip as the shuttle travels in front of you (the extreme case is a net kill).

Similarly, on the forehand side, you shift towards a panhandle grip as the shuttle travels in front of you (again, the extreme case is a net kill), whereas on the backhand side you shift towards a panhandle grip as the shuttle travels behind you (a late clear).

So you can imagine a mirror on the court, which reflects forehand grips into backhand grips. But the mirror is not positioned down the centre line. You actually need two mirrors, each placed along a long diagonal of the court (forehand net corner to backhand rear, and vice versa).

Of course, these are not perfect reflections. There are some differences, such as the need for thumb support on backhand grips (as Athlete1234 mentioned), and the more limited range of motion of the backhand swing at the shoulder.

#21 Gollum, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  2. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

It may help your understanding of the grip adjustments to bear in mind that we are looking for a flat contact, in other words the racket face is square, with the fingers/grip in a comfortable position. What needs to happen is to twist the racket handle in your hand not your wrist to achieve this position. Not sure that I'm describing it well?

Some players I see make the mistake in just moving their thumb to the bevel without actually turning the handle.

(right hander) Lets say for instance the thumb doesn't move but the racket is turned clockwise slightly to square up the contact angle, the thumb position on the handle has changed.

A bit long winded sorry

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is a really easy mistake to make. For example, the basic grip can look almost exactly like the thumb grip, if you twist the forearm slightly.

As coachgary says, different grips (usually) involve turning the racket angle in your fingers. The thumb grip is different from the basic grip not only in the thumb position, but also in the orientation of the racket handle within your hand.

However, the basic and bevel grips have the same angle; their only difference is the positioning of the thumb.

4. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    That's because the wrist angles are the same eh :p
    "Early" forehand/net kill -> 90°+ out from body
    Late backhand -> 90°+ out from body

In the first case you're facing the net, in the second case you're facing backcourt.

5. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Elbow up or down during the preparation (prior to contact with the bird), gents?

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    I like to have my elbow down and tucked into my torso for a longer action. A lot of people say that you should play with your elbow up and pointed at the shuttle. I find that this reduces my power a lot. The thing is, even if you have your elbow down, as you swing, you will naturally bring your elbow up and point it towards the shuttle by the nature of the stroke. Which is why I don't see why you shouldn't go for the bigger swing.

7. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    down for prep, up when striking. Oldhand essentially told me to get it up during the stroke and it pretty much forces everything else into place.smart guy.

8. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Oldhand has one of the most efficient strokes I've seen (including on TV). He'd give Taufik a run for the ease he executes his backhand clear. :p