Shouting while smashing, and used as an intimidation

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by migzz10, Nov 21, 2008.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It's better to pay attention to the shuttlecock than to the opponent's cries

I just watched some Quarter-Finals matches played at the 2009 Australian Open Tennis Championships. I noticed players were usually uttering cries of some sort whenever they are executing power shots. Dropshots and other control shots requiring less power are usually performed without an utter of a cry.

It is only natural that when someone performs a power action, for example; a punch in Karate, a throw in Javelin, Hammer, Shot Put events, etc... to shout/yell/scream.

IMHO, Badminton players should not feel intimidated by their opponents' shouting when smashing. It's better to pay attention to the shuttlecock than to the opponent's cries.

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Tennis players sort of grunt when playing big groundstrokes, I think pros have done it for as long as I can remember watching and playing the game. There's no need to shout on softer control shots in tennis but in badminton, deception plays a bigger part so shouting on drops that look like jumpsmashes can help. If your opponent is good enough, he'll read the shot anyway but it's worth a go.

3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    you shouldnt need little tricks to intimidate and put off your opponent. learn to play deceptively you shouldnt neeed to open your mouth unless you pull a massive point and celebrate then.
    bad sportsmanship to "glare " at your opponent.....just play the game and the skill will show who is better....you can easily decieve your opponent with shots....a smash drop and clear shot should all look setup exactly the same for the couple of seconds befor the shot is initiated...then your opponent has the split second when you hit to decide wat shot your actually hitting.

i think screaming is wrong...just like in tennis...there is no need and there isnt actually more energy thrown into the shot or stroke...its just silly.

4. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I used to not scream during tournaments. Just last Saturday, during a tournament, I imitated a player from our club who usually shouts after a winning point ... and screaming actually felt good. I have no intentions of irking my opponents, but I lost my jitters when I started screaming, thus, giving me a good play. Now I realized that shouting keeps me calm and makes me focus more. Yelling brings out my "real" game. It is not wrong to SHOUT. And certainly, there is no rule against it. If you get bothered by it, then it's your problem.

5. bradmyster

i mean its wrong whilst hitting shots during a rally...totaly different to celebrating a point afterwards because i do that!

6. Danstevens

Student
    I really don't think it is. If you really exert yourself with a shot (ie; stretching/diving a long way for a dropshot or hitting a huge smash), you're probably going to make some noise. Not necessarily a shout or scream but maybe a grunt or something else.

Also, if you sometimes shout on a jump smash, it can be used to add an extra layer of deception to a jump drop. I'm not saying it's right and I'm not saying I need to but there's nothing in the rulebook stopping you. You're not distracting your opponent, you're just deceiving them in the same way you would by looking in a certain area before slicing the shuttle the opposite way.

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Question. How about if you shout while your opponent is hitting? Is there a rule that says this isn't allowed? 'Coz I don't mind my opponent shout when they smash. But I would certainly get distracted when they shout if I'm gonna be making a shot.

8. bradmyster

i no there isnt a rule against it. i said i dont agree with it. thats all.

9. krisss

krisss Regular Member

My former international coach was taught always to shout when smashing , and sometimes when dropping for deception.

I asked him why he did this , he said that it was to change the opponents mind state. If your opponent is scared when you smash it stops there game. He gave me an example to help me.

When your serving and the score is 21-20 to them , and you think to yourself , the persons got a very good service return , don't hit it in the net. Your more likely to hit in the net rather than if you think - get this shuttle over the net.

He explained that badminton is a sport that you also need to be mentally strong - and he shouts when he smashes to see if he can weaken there minds.

Other things he does - never apologises saying sorry , just puts his hand up.
    He never claps the opponents shot
    Waits for his opponent to get ready then he serves.
    When returning the serve waits for them to get ready - then walks to the service line to return it.
    Always returns the shuttle back - TO THE PERSON , never showing his anger or frustration.
    Always when returning the serve takes his time looking back at the baseline before getting ready - as if to say , if you flick it I'm ready.

He said that it was these little things that could really make a difference - if you make your presence strong , and your opponent thinks negatively then they are going to be more likely to make mistakes.

I know I went a bit astray - but I thought this was really interesting.

10. arturosauce

arturosauce Regular Member

LOLLL, end of thread.

11. Danstevens

Student
    That's really unfair. I don't agree with that at all. Shouting for more power or deception is OK but shouting with the sole purpose of distracting your opponent is wrong.

It's a controversial tactic so that's fair enough.

I do a few of those things. I acknowledge lucky shots with a simple raise of the hand, don't really clap opponents' shots - maybe just tap the handle of my racket a couple of times. I do the baseline thing as well and obviously, wait for my opponent to be ready before serving - it's not really fair not to. I must admit to showing anger on court, occasionally pleasure but you definitely know when you're getting in to my head lol.

I agree about the whole presence thing. Some players just have a really imposing aura about them and it tends to be people like him. They're very calm and you never know if you're beating them mentally or not. Angry players can be a little bit scary sometimes but at least you know that mentally, you are in the better state.

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Well, for a 'real match' I do some of those, I can even add a few.

After you played a winning netshot, don't cheer to much, just look at them, maybe throw in a smile;)
    With lucky netchords, or when you hit it at their body, cheer first, walk a lap, don't say sorry until you're about to serve again. (keep them waiting a bit, maybe they'll get a bit angry, maybe a bit confused)
    Try if you can get them to serve again: stand ready with your head down, or stand ready with your head up, but your left arm stretched out in a stop sign, whatever, as long as they serve to soon and have to serve again.:eek:

All of these are "tactics" that are perfectly according to the rules, and lots of players using some of these.
    But sometimes it's good to be nice, it's sports afterall:D
    Badminton is also a sport where you're very likely to meet the same opponents again and again, people who have the name of "always trying to screw with everybody" also tend to have a lot of opponents that are really phsyched to beat you.

13. Foppa17

Foppa17 Regular Member

I don't tend to apologise for hitting someone in the body in a match. In practice maybe, but not in a match. It's kinda "if you can't hit it, get out of the way".

Also, since I play doubles, I use a trick that I learned from hockey. Early on in the game, wire it as hard as you can at the head of the man at the net if you get a chance. Odds are, they won't want to stand that close to the net again, giving you more room with netplay later in the game.

14. Epiphany2k

Epiphany2k Regular Member

IT
    Yelling to distract is poor sportsmanship

I oppose any type of gamesmanship, including yelling as a deceptive tactic. My interpretation of the rules is that this is a violation.

Yelling as an expressing of exertion (grunting) is common, and is often done unconsciously/automatically. As mentioned before, you see the same thing in tennis. The difference lies between yelling as an expressing of exertion and yelling to gain any kind of advantage. The former is acceptable while the latter is not. If you want to fake a smash, do it with your body, not your vocal cords.

IMHO, this is categorically unacceptable. I would not hesitate to tell my opponent and/or an official that an opponent's vocalizations were distracting me. Being a good sportsman means showing respect for your opponent. This includes avoiding any kind of gamesmanship, and yelling merely to distract or otherwise fluster your opponent is a clear example of gamesmanship.

15. Heong

Heong Regular Member

I don't see how that's illegal. As i've seen many professional players such as Koo Kien Keat who shouts at almost every smash/drop to intimidate the opponent.

But as previously said, when the rally is not in play, do not shout while facing your opponent. You may recieve a warning and yellow card if repeated.

16. Epiphany2k

Epiphany2k Regular Member

IT
    The rules are very clear on this matter

Seems pretty clear to me. Not only is it a violation, it also constitutes a fault, and the offending player will lose the point. Is your interpretation of rule 13.4.5 different from mine?

Moreover, a fault can also be called...

Thus, not only is there a specific rule against deliberately distracting an opponent, the official can also call a fault if other inappropriate behavior has occurred.

What you seem to be saying is that some players break the rules and get away with it. A lot of people break rules and get away with it (not just in badminton, but in other aspects of life as well), but this does not change or nullify the rules.

A copy of the rules (which is actually referred to as the "laws of badminton") is available for review at http://www.internationalbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=11623.

17. vorxaw

vorxaw Regular Member

donno if anyone watched the sharapova/oudin match today but they had a fun graphic on screen recording their COMEONs and EGHHHs(grunts)