How to smash? Can Someone please help!! Thanks!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ilhammi14th, May 11, 2004.

1. ilhammi14th

ilhammi14th New Member

Hi there...

I'm an average badminton player to just recently re-touched badminton after dropping the sport for 2 years. I'm only 16 years old, and I really hope any of you can help me...

I've always been fascinated by hard-hitting players who are capable of steep and fast smashes which breaks their opponent's defense. I've been trying to smash for two months now, and I still can't get it straight. Well, I gotta admit I'm thin, and don't have developed arm muscles, but everyday I've been exercising my forearms...

I decided to start from scratch, to learn how to smash from the very beginning. I was hoping how can I actually execute a good smash? I'm using a Yonex Ti-8 Long racket with BG-66 strings strung at 24lbs. I used to play nylon shuttlecocks, but now I'm switching over to feather ones... Nylons last longer you know. So er, can anyone please help me... Is it in the wrists, arm, body? I need to know... Thanks...

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's in the throwing action. The motion of a smash is much like the motion you'd use if you wanted to throw a cricket ball a long distance (or even a shuttlecock). The throwing action can be thought of as a whipping motion too.

There are many components to this throwing action. People will talk about rotating the shoulders, raising the elbow, forearm pronation etc. But fundamentally you need to "throw" the racket head at the shuttle so that you contact it above and slightly in front of your body, hitting it at full relaxed reach.

Oh yes - don't forget to use a forehand grip ;) And the racket you use has almost nothing to do with how good your smashes are.

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I give you one of the many ways to learn : watching how trained or professional players do it. Repeat, watch, repeat, watch, try, diagnosis, watch again, repeat, try.

You can download videos from men's doubles finals of All England 2001 featuring two great Indonesian teams. Put your focus solely on Halim Hariyanto as he is perhaps the best smasher in the video.

Use emule to download.

ed2k://|file|Badminton.-.2001.AE.MD.Final.Candra-Sigit.vs.Tony-Halim.game1-2.mpeg|604000628|17E32331646DE5640FE903C441F5D2E0|/
    ed2k://|file|Badminton.-.2001.AE.MD.Final.Candra-Sigit.vs.Tony-Halim.game3.mpeg|329763980|48DBEF831211F649F80AA6374A5C1219|/

Full link here:
    Videos to download via eMule

Second method will be to get a well skilled friend to help you or to engage a coach. This method is a surefire 99% success while the above is not as convincing, maybe about 45%.

4. Senshin

Senshin Regular Member

There are many ways a person can smash depending on the situation, but since you're starting up again might as well start with something simple. It took me a whole year and a half to learn how to smash and I only have two years of experience in me so don't even worry. First you have to notice all the joints that bend in your body because you'll be needing all of them for power in your smash. Begin with your wrist action...you probably already hear people talking about that before...make sure your racket can point straight to the ground when your arm is straight or near the ground...if you can't that means you're holding your racket wrong or you've been trying to smash with slap instead...Smash is similar to a clear...but catch it above the birdie instead of below...that means ur racket head should be angled toward the ground [ *\ like that ] * is birdie ....you have to use all the joints in your arm at the same time all the way up to your sholders...including your elbow...i see a lot of girls use only their elbows to try and smash...which just lifts the birdie into the air...they sometimes lean at the birdie which makes it kinda like a drive but that is the wrong technique...practice without the racket and feel your sholder as you do it...if you can feel your sholder muscles tense up then you're doing it correctly...the look is possibly most similar to how you should look when trying to scratch that part of your back that you cannot reach...the smash should be done with a smooth motion...don't even try to do it quick without the proper form...muscles might help out smashes a little...but after you develop the technique then you'll get that speed you want...SIMPLY...grab ur neck with your hand with ur elbow as high as you can point it towards the ceiling...unbend your elbow and snap all your arm joints towards the opposite side of your body down to ur waist...just keep practicing and observe and copy people...that's what i do.

5. ilhammi14th

ilhammi14th New Member

Thanks... But... Anyone of you Singaporeans know if it's possible to hire a coach or trainer? Sigh... I've got a secret dream for a place in the National Squad in 3 years' time...

6. AarOn

AarOn Regular Member

Go find a Community centre which has badminton training every week..Hm..Clementi Sports hall for example. :) Juz walk into any community centre and look at the notice board some might have badminton training session some might not have.good luck in findin..;)

7. LiLYu

LiLYu Regular Member

what about the foot work when u r doing a smash?:confused:

this guy keep on telling me to move my leg as i am smashing...but i just cant do it, why is that??:mad:
    which leg is suppose to go first?

8. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    It depends on which is your racquet hand.If you are a righthander,the standing position would be left leg out and right leg behind,vice versa to lefthanders so you suppose to know which leg out now.By moving your legs it will add more power to your smashes as you are using your bodyweight to its full. :D

Hav fun smashing ! I can't smash myself not even badminton for like 1 month because just when to the doctor to check out my wrist and finding out the pain in my wrist is the veins swelling :eek:.Its effect is like you feel your wrist as hard as rock :rolleyes: (but almost :D ) and making you unable to maneuver it.