O YEA finally entering a tournament! or should i say...I NEED HELP ON MY SKILLS ASAP!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by malaysianfreak, Jan 24, 2011.

1. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    hi all BCers! you may know me as the dude that always post thread on BC about help ~ and guess what i need you all guys help again :p! well as the title says imma goin to a tournament (actually it's qualifying for my school team :cool:) although my chances of winning is nearly (literally ) 0 cause my brother participated :mad:...still i want to give them a true challenge and by that i nid to improve my skills!! :):):)

==>> 1. i have a little problems with accuracy/hitting the frame :p...i don't know why but i sometimes thought i hit it but it turns out i dind't. about 10% are misses 15%frame hitting ~ so...is there any basic drills i can do to counter this problems? i thaught of hit a shuttle into the air repeatedly does it help?

==> 2. LIFTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lift is one of my problem ! each time i lift it's 92.3% out! which is screwed!!!!!! i tried adapting by using less power but it goes but it goes to the mid court !so a smash and imma dead! so...hmmm during a lift should u use your wrist our your forearm ( like a pronotation ) .

==>3 . off days~ any way to counter off days?

==>4...clear...nevermind just saw a thread about it (reading it now :D )

so that's it ~

my level of play is about advanced beginner
    competition is only 2weeks away so help please!!

2. ignatio103

ignatio103 Regular Member

it
    strengthen your wrist flex and always lift high up...initially u may find that its 3/4 length but eventually your will get it right to baseline...

3. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

practice practice practice!

4. malaysianfreak

student
    oh...ok thanks iginato! just had a game and tried snapping my wrist! it works! thanks ya! and i just started practicing! had a squash training racket at home!

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    you are so annoying.. but I notice that you are enjoy it. Good one mate.

1)Hold the racket firm always to focus on the shuttle
    2)Lift as high as you can, aim 3/4 court will do. If your shot is high enough, nothing to fear even its half court. They may make mistakes.
    3) Focus when you play, just give your best.
    Just get your shots in at any point in time. Your opponent will beg for mercy.. ;) Dun bluf you are advance la... ;)

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Any dramatic change in technique is not a good idea with only two weeks until the tournament. Focus on improving consistency and footwork for now and change your shots up after the tournament.

You'll be able to find tips on all of the aspects of technique and game improvement that you want with some use of the search function but I'll post some short answers hear for you.

1.) Practice makes perfect. Hit shuttle after shuttle after shuttle. It's a good idea to get someone who's patient and a stronger player than you to repeatedly hit clears right to your baseline whilst you return them. Eventually, returning these shots with good depth and consistency should be almost automatic.

2.) Barely swing at all. Your wrist and racket are perfectly sufficient for hitting a high, deep lift. Watch this video to check up on your technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsiWxdTgXaM and try not to overhit.

3.) It doesn't matter how you win, just whether you win or not. All good badminton players are good on a good day but one of the things that makes a great badminton player is the ability to find a way to win despite not being at your best. Keep your shots simple and don't go for too much. Certainly at your level, it will be easy for you to hang in there and wait for your opponents to make an error. If you're not playing like you can beat them, let them beat themselves.

Good luck in the tournament. I don't know what school standard badminton is like in Malaysia but you'll probably have a decent chance. Just relax and enjoy it - you can't expect too much from your first tournament but the more you play, the easier it gets.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

This isn't really any advice regarding the questions you asked, however I think it could be worthwhile for you especially at the level that you are playing at in two weeks.

At this sort of standard the people that play tend not to consider match tactics in a game, they tend not to adapt their game when it isn't working or isn't suitable, and instead they will persist with the same sort of shots. Depending how long the match is (1x21 or 3x21) you should be able to work out your opponents style pretty quickly, if they are an average player, then they will tend to stick with the same shots, no matter if they are 6-0 up, or 0-6 down. The quicker you work out your opponents game, the more chance your have of winning the match, especially if the opponent is of a similar standard or lower. It's also important that you are able to work out which shots work against your opponent and what don't. At this sort of standard, if you feel you have a physical/fitness strength over your opponent, but are maybe similar technical ability. Making your opponent move around the court in long rallies will take any finishing abillity away, when it comes closer to the end of the match, this should give you an advantage.

Good luck !:)

8. malaysianfreak

student
    i took all of yall's afvice (at least for those i can understand) my clears are much much much better (since i tried to relax and tried the wrist snapping action ) i try not to play net =P (lacking confidence !) but my lifts are getting worse!!
    > when i lift i constantly hit the edge of the net(the white part )!!!! so i think i am concluding today is an off day >< since i am trying to absorb new tecniques ! keeping a strong mentality is still challenging ( i have bad morale ) but i will continue pushing myself to new limits! ! THANKS ALL BC-ERS! AND GONG XI FA CAI! (happy chinese new year!! )

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

If u see high shuttle, just move backward 1 step and whack as hard as u can.. and provided, u hit it hard though:D...

10. malaysianfreak

student
    ^ yeap i just learned it from the power of 4 guide! positioning! hehe thanks though ! and gong xi fa cai~~~

11. extremenanopowe

so you will be the first freak to learn badminton thro bc... so many 'sifu'.. you must be better than lcw soon... I scared la... lol. ;)

12. malaysianfreak

student
    with all the help i think i will be able to be the next LEE CHONG WEI!! ~ in 5years time la xD (seriously i hope i could >.<)

13. extremenanopowe

Could your back side. lah.. Must say.. I will definitely 'be better than Lin Dan'. LCW is not enough... ;)lol

14. malaysianfreak

student
    i will defenitely be better than li... hold on! lin dan no good la!! CHONG WEI BEST!!