New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

The only flaw for any high-end racket is the person holding the racket hehe.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't get me wrong, I have an excellent backhand clear and smash. But I'm finding that I haven't adapted as well to it's extra stiff shaft on the backhand side as much as the forehand. Somehow I can't use my backhand flicking or whipping action as easily as with my other less stiff rackets. Oh well, will keep on adjusting and adapting.

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Nothing a couple more sessions won't fix mate :) Anyway, I can't do Taufik style backhand smashes with any racket, so you're one up on me.

4. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    This is simply not true. there can be many flaws. Anything from frame aerodynamics, stability, materials used, profile of grommets, kick point, quality or tackiness of the grip, durability etc etc.

I'd argue that Yonex's head frame aerodynamics are rather archaic compared to some of Victor's, offering more air resistance than they need to.

5. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I suspect ssj100 was just being a tad facetious.

6. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Not really, I was just trying to say that the player is the most important aspect of badminton. High-end rackets can't really be "flawed" if they are being used by the world's top players right?

7. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I agree the most important aspect is the player. But a racket can be flawed no matter who uses it. Chances are the skill of the top player just off sets it. Doesn't mean the racket are flawless though. For example, I still think Yonex (even on the high end) rackets have clumsy head frame shapes and overly protruding or inconsistent grommets. Just my personal take.

8. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Just depends on how you look at it. If the MX80 is truly flawless, why isn't every single player using it? Again, it's all player dependent, and the player's own flaws (or preferences) matter the most. For example, Lee Yong Dae obviously doesn't think the MX80 is "flawless". But yes, sounds like the MX80 is flawless for you. However, I'd only call a racket "flawless" if I can beat Lin Dan in next year's Olympic Games Final hehe. Problem is that I can't even beat some members in my own club at the moment!

9. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    From my highly developed sense of things as a Design professional *cough* I think a racket can be flawed only if it had a key design or marketing criteria in which it failed.

For example, way too many people talk about how they want a racket that's powerful above all else, yet the racket designed as a pure power design - the Z-Slash - hasn't been the success Yonex had hoped for simply because that power isn't accessible by everyone and comes at the cost of sweetspot and other aspects. The looks were polarising too, to the point that they quickly did a conservative 'Taufik' version. For me, I think the ZS is a flawed racket.

You can't use to Pros to make a judgement on how successful or otherwise a design is, for a thousand different reasons.

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I didn't like the Z-Slash myself, but I don't think that makes it a "flawed" racket. I know a few advanced level players in my club who use it very well - enough to beat me often anyway hehe. Again, I believe it's all player preference. What works for one player of a certain level will not work so well for another player of the same level. Also, as far as I know, the Z-Slash is still being sold and used/preferred by many people out there, so it can't be too "flawed". What's flawed for me is the price! Costs more than the VT80.

Well, you can't use anyone to make a judgement either then. You can only try it out for yourself to know for sure.

11. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I meant from a design perspective pertaining to it's actual goals. Every player isn't using it because it's play style is not to everyone's taste. Similar, likely not to LYD's who prefers a more defensive light racket, or JJS's who prefers a head heavier power racket. I meant the MX80 is flawless in design in what it sets out to be. A quick, all around but still powerful slightly aggressive advanced racket. For the actual play style it goes for, I wouldn't change anything about the design. With the VT80, I'd make the grommets more low profile and flush to the racket, and I'd make the head frame more angular so it cut through the air with less air resistance.

As far as ultra head heavy powerful rackets go, I do however feel the VT80 is likely the best out there (hence why I'm using it as my main racket). Here's waiting on a ultra head heavy version of the MX range to possibly take that crown!

Sort of reminds me of the Yonex 8DX vs MX80. They are actually strikingly similar in design. Similar handle size (though MX80 has a longer shaft), similar BP, similar stiffness. But play with them both and you'll realise the MX80 is a far better racket. It's so much easier to use than the 8DX, a lot faster too, and this is mainly (imo) down to the more angular and aerodynamic frame.

#1171 Naim.F.C, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  12. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Sounds like Yonex should hire you to design their rackets hehe. For me, I really don't have much idea about the exact Physics of a badminton racket. I think there are many variables that I'd over-look as I'm not a professional badminton racket designer, and I certainly don't work for Yonex!

I believe that we can examine the physical aspects of the racket in detail and draw our own personal (and likely bias) conclusions. But at the end of the day, it's how the racket feels and plays for you that matters. For me, in practise, I have no idea what all this "less air resistance" is about. Is there even a scientific method of measuring this and showing that it actually makes a difference in practise (among the comparable high-end rackets)? I know Yonex are always promoting this sort of thing - just watch the video of the VT80 - in my opinion, that is marketing at its best/worst (whichever way you look at it). For me, it's all mostly a load of "BS".

At the end of the day, if the racket feels good to use, I'll use it.

13. TKChai

TKChai Regular Member

Student
    Finally get another long session with my MX80 tonight!
    Looking forward to hitting some big smashes from the back already :D

14. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I think aero does help. My Precision swings thru the air pretty effortlessly compared to other similar spec rackets I have. Hard to put a finger on it, but it even sounds different on the swing.

15. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Just got my new 3UG3 (YG4) MX80 back from stringing. Using Victors 80 grommet pattern, but my stringer had to do a two piece job today. Only ever used one piece so I'm a little wary. Upped the tension to 25lbs mains and 27lbs on (a few) crosses. MX80 is so fast and light I find I can take higher tensions than I can with the VT80. Get to test it on Mon along with my freshly strung VT80 3UG4 and 4UG4. Can't wait!

Whilst I was waiting for it to be strung I got to watch pro tennis players practise at Queens tennis club (Aegon televised championship in Barons Court West London). Was awesome!

#1175 Naim.F.C, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

^^

Naim

With you buying so many rackets in the last 2 months, you better check and make sure your g/f is not also going on a spending spree on multiple pairs of shoes! :D

17. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Haha lol. Well recently I've started wholesaling shuttlecocks in bulk to different clubs internationally. So she sort of see's all this as 'Market research'. Plus it keeps me healthier so she hasn't said anything negative. Thank God lol.

18. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    From a design perspective it is, but from a personal perspective, it may or may not be. I agree, at the end of the day it's all about matching styles of player with styles of racket.....but having said that, I have no idea why the MX80 suits me. On paper it shouldn't, as I didn't particularly gel with the SW35 or BS10, but theoretically, take the best parts of both those rackets and you have one that does.

Thanks Victor :D

19. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I'd be interested to read the article(s)/reference(s) of the scientific break-down of why exactly it is flawed from a design perspective. Otherwise, isn't it all personal perspective?

20. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Great idea. Instead of discussing relative success or merit, let's just throw our hands in the air and say 'ah well, it's all 'personal perspective'.