How to Produce a Faster Smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kelvin T, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone, I had been practising my smash lately as in stand position smash (Not the jump smash yet :(). However I am able to produce more sharp corner smash as the training goes by, but the main concern is I still could not produce a fast smash in training or game as the opponent can easily block my smash.

Therefore is there anyone to produce a faster smash and what possible reasons might cause such phenomenon to happen? Which aspects of me should be improve as in doing my wrist work exercise or so?

Please guide me along. Thanks. ;)

2. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

Your smash is probably blocked because your opponents knows where it's coming,
    A solution is to work on getting better angles and more deception on your smash.

As for simply hitting harder, its a matter of swing speed and timing. If you're to tense before hitting you won't produce power. Try relaxing all the way up till the moment you actually hit the shuttle. Don't expect to get a more powerful smash right away, it taks alot of time.

Good luck.

3. gregs_pcs

gregs_pcs Regular Member

Wrist or arm exercises won't help you at all unless your naturally feeble which I assume your not.

What you need to do is concentrate on timing along with ensuring you fully pronate and supinate your arm. This is where all the power from and why 13 year old girls can smash harder than fully grown men.

At the level I assume your at, don't bother jumping unless its backwards to intercept a shuttle as its going behind you, ie flick serve. Concentrate on getting behind the shuttle instead.

If your smash is coming back, that's nothing to worry about. Your only there to set up the kill for your partner and maintain the attack until they make a mistake. That's why you should avoid smashing cross court unless your confident of winning the point. It simply allows your opponents to drive back straight and gain the attack. It may even be more advantageous to ease of the speed of the smash to gain a better angle so they can't attack back as easily.

Concentrate on timing and correct technique, not strength.

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

it's all down to Timing and technique.:)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

All of the above, plus make sure you're leaning into the bird at point of strike.

6. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Thanks everyone for the constructive advice on how to improve my smash. Another question, I'm currently training on lift blocking, but eventually most of my block will end up hanging in the half court...despite there might be technique problem, is it also because the wrist strength is not enough to lift the shuttle to the back court? =)

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Probably not strength related: its just technique. Once you get the timing right (technique, not strength) then you will find it very easy. Remember to take an early contact at full arms reach in front of you (if possible) and make use of finger strength. There are no big swings, only small, compact, powerful swings. If any strength is "lacking" its probably more finger strength than "wrist strength".

8. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    this is my humble opinion: Technique of cos is the main point. dont think when you get yourself a head heavy racket (as many claims it will produce faster smash) you will have a faster smash. set the correct technique first.

i do this, which you can try: practise clear shot first until you have it sound crispy(you'll hear the sound diff)... this will also help you to maintain the sweet-spot shot which for me is important in smashing. then, you just need to adjust the angle a little bit to change that crispy clear shot into a fast smash.

of cos you can't expect to have it done in a day...

this is only through my experience, and im not a pro if anybody would ask...

9. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    Technique is everything, once you have the correct technique, then you can add power.

One thing that no one has mentioned (and a lot of people simply don't know) is that a faster smash comes from faster racket head speed. This is primarily increased by increased forearm pronation speed (using your wrist more - although, it's not actually your wrist that does the work, it's your forearm pronating on the radial-ulnar joint (although it's not really a joint, it's an articulation).

Basically, work on your racket head speed - although strength training is also an important part of it, but should not be confused with weight lifting - you want dynamic (fast moving) exercises rather than shifting a very heavy weight slowly).

One final piece of advice - if you want to ge better at a shot, drill (meaning find a partner and practice the shot until you're sick of it)

Hope that helps :)