How to play the 'tall' guys

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kwilko, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Kwilko

Kwilko Regular Member

Im quite small (at the moment) and i was wondering is there any way to play tall badminton players especially when they are good at the net. Thanks

2. Sander1337

Sander1337 New Member

I usually play very defensive against tall players... Clears must be staight up so then can come straight down at their end of the court. If you play offensive clears they will intercept and smash it.

Also, if they are strong at the net try to evade playing net-rallies, if they pull you towards the net try to play a very high lob to the end of the court, if you feel you could be too late for a possible cross-smash coming after the lob (that's why you must play it very high) you can try playing cross lob...

Important against tall players is that you try to defend the shuttle as high as you can above the court... That way then can't "intercept" it...

3. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

My doubles partner is a tall guy. Don't know whether it's the same for all tall guys, but breaking him out of the long diagonal seemed to work. He can cover the diagonal very well, but a movement change in the middle of the diagonal breaks it up. I also tend to play the bird close to their shoulders when attacking.

4. phili

phili Regular Member

You need a good length and height in your clears otherwise it can get very nasty. Normally tall guys aren't that good a changing their direction. When you attack make sure it either is directly at the body of your opponent or it has a good angle so he has to get down really low.

5. Kwilko

Kwilko Regular Member

Thanks guys

6. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Are we talking about singles or doubles here?

7. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

use the push and pull method
    and make them twist and turn their upper body
    theoretically, taller players are not as agile and nimble and this will make them slower to respond and give you plenty of time to capitalize on errors
    the push and pull method works for both singles and doubles
    twist and turn is predominantly used in singles

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

9. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Watch the Olympics, I dont know if Ivanov (the russian mens singles player) is out but hes like 6ft7 see who beat him then that will give your answer.

10. Kwilko

Kwilko Regular Member

We are talking primarily singles (or atleast i am) but it can also include singles

11. Kwilko

Kwilko Regular Member

*doubles aha

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    As someone said above, the main thing with playing tall players is to twist and turn them. If they hit straight, turn them. You will need to be patient playing tall players especially when they have good defensive skills. Another thing particularly in playing tall singles players is you will probably benefit from upping your pace. Get to the shuttle earlier than they can to your shots, you should aim to make up the height difference by using your relative agility and speed around the court.

13. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

As has been stated, extra height (whilst maintaining good length) for defensive lifts & clears is important. Also make sure your drops aren't too slow, as long reach gives easy net kills.

One thing you could try when attacking in doubles is playing push-drops (i.e. halfway between a smash and a drop) slightly more frequently. The taller they are, the further they have to go to take one off their toes. May help you to break down their defense better.