A Pro Players "Strange" Doubles Positioning during High Serve/Flick

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mrsmile, Mar 12, 2014.

1. mrsmile

mrsmile Regular Member

Student
  2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    That's cos it was a terrible flick serve and got what it deserved! :D

One of the few times that you would stay in front after a flick serve is if you caught the receiver by surprise and he/she is late getting to the shuttle and force to play a weak return

3. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    This is just my observation, and not necessarily correct.

The pros seldom flick serves. Pro receivers are generally aggressive, and like to jump on any low serves. Given these two factors, when a flick serve is played, it usually has a good effect of getting a defensive clear, or a drop. The serving side would right away get the attack, and thus should maintain front-back formation. Front player, i.e. the server, is lurking around the net hunting for drop shots.

There's a video clip with "flick serve compilation". If you check it out, in all cases, the servers stayed at the net immediately after. You can do more sampling of other top level matches, and you probably see similar things.

4. mrsmile

mrsmile Regular Member

Student
    thanks for the input. you made a good point there. now i do a little feel guilty for pointing out my friend's tendency to stay where he flick/high served. haha XD

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

As usual, it depends!
    A flick serve may well be an aggressive shot, with which you gain the attack. In that case, it's appropriate to stay in the front. If the flick may be smashed by the opponent, it's usually better to get to a defending stance...

6. vixter

vixter Regular Member

In theory it sounds good, but I don't agree that this is how it is. I think the flick serve is very common and that it usually doesn't have the effect of getting a clear or drop in return (if deceived they will try to hit a late drive). It's true that the servers in that compilation stayed at the net, but since it's a compilation it'll be a selection of great flick serves where the receiver was totally deceived every time. That would only happen once or max twice per match. I think in general players are well ready for the flick serve and will return it with a smash.

7. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    Agree. especially at the top level.

8. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

to be honest, this guy is just a flog, lol. Shotty flick served followed by "Lets duck because point is over anyways" mentality is absolutely shocking. If this was JJS the flick serve could be even shorter and he would still get back into position.

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Interesting, and may be not all that relevant, story - I watched one XD match between a top HK pair (LEE Chun Hei/CHAU Hoi Wah), and a top CHN pair (Zhang Nan / Zhao Yunlai ), in HK Open I think (2-3 years ago). The HK man made three consecutive flick serves to opponents. They got caught every single time! Well, to be exact, I think in the third time, the CHN pair got it back, but were in a lot of trouble (and lost the rally also).

I mean, they're not caught just once in the match, but three consecutive serves!

Too bad I didn't capture the link. If the pros are that ready for it, and I mean the topmost ones, how could something like that happen? In this case, the server is the man and thus he wouldn't stay at the net. But I don't remember if the woman stays at the net after those serves. And I don't remember if the CHN man received twice or once. But does it matter?

To me, this seems to indicate the pros are gambling. And when they gamble, they can only be aggressive towards one, but not the other. While the receiver may be gambling, the server may also be gambling. After all, if you anticipate your opponent has a lethal smash (from front of Doubles line), why would you flick serve?

#9 raymond, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014