Smash Grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J_Noodles, Jul 5, 2013.

1. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Thank You guys for input. I thought all coaches taught players how to pronate their wrists when hitting shots, as it is the most powerful way to hit shots. I personally have never had a coach, and as a result I don't really grasp pronation and how to execute it. I've watched the thejym's video but i still do not understand it! Can someone fill me in?

2. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Nevermind, I understand pronation now, and know its full potential after practicing it a couple times. The rotation of the forearm is extremely powerful

3. joetheshow

joetheshow Regular Member

Fulltime day dreamer
    My grip right now is sort of in between generic V-grip and this grip we're discussing here. I am trying this grip, since it seems like pro-pictures are all showing it and LJB promotes it as well. Current my smashes are not my strongest suit, but it's not a game breaker either.

I haven't tried this with a shuttle, but my question is about the follow through. the new positions of my thumb and index finger makes it difficult to stablize the racket at the end of the swing. My other 3 fingers are doing most if not all the stablizing work now. Is this expected?

4. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

In my experience, sometimes if you rotate your grip away from the basic v-grip towards a more panhandled grip, you tend to turn your body less to smash and you use more arm/wrist. When I do this, I also find it difficult to hold the racket after the smash