Need Help Preparing for Upcoming Tournament

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Natty Bumpo, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Regular Member

Thanks For Everyone's Help and Advice! Unfortunately, that was the only footage from the tournament i have. I will try to post more footage from my club play. I am usually play doubles which makes me very lazy as a singles player. I have also noticed my singles serve is not going to the back line. I also seem to lack the stamina a junior player should have. I have tried to do shadowing drill and 8 corner footwork but get tired too quickly? I have been gaining weight recently and need to go to the gym. However, I don't know what to do at the gym. I think I should run on the treadmill or bicycle? Any tips on to increase stamina?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Do the same training that a junior player puts in and you'll definitely be able to keep up with them.

Proper training on court is supposed to be tiring! What are you expecting? :crying:

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Call it a stab in the dark, but you aren't asthmatic are you? I noticed my stamina was lower than it should have been, and it turned out to be the case for me - didn't have a clue about it until I was 20. If it's your breathing that starts to suffer, it's worth looking up.

4. Natty Bumpo

Nope no Asthma for sure. I think I am just out of shape. I need to do lots of running

5. Natty Bumpo

I need help! Preparing for a new tournament. My first doubles match is against an old man. He was former junior national player for pakistan or something. Lots of deception and double motion he uses to fake us out. Also many head fakes and effective smashes. How do I prepare for such an opponent? Any tips to win?

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How close are you in scores when you play him?

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Keep hitting to his partner...

8. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Focus on the birdie, not his racket nor his body movement... n relax...

9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    @natty , like others have said, you can definitely improve...as long as you work at it.

First, not to disrespect but I don't see the aura where you are an amazing player.

It would be more helpful if you had more footage of your play, the video clip is too short.

In singles, you already mentioned your less than ideal serve. That already puts you in a bad situation. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of good quality serves and clears, keep practicing for consistency.

Don't be overly concerned with a hard smash. A very good player in our club hardly smashes, he's probably in his 50s, he plays with good consistent control, always forcing the opponent(s) to lift, gives little opportunity for others to hit downward, and has great vision of where the court is open.

You also need to understand the need for good and quick footwork, even if the shuttle is the size of a beach ball, can't hit anything if you're not there.

So play and train with these in mind.

1. Good footwork around the court because you have to get there to be able to hit the shuttle.
    2. Consistent placement of your shot will ensure every hit from you is in play and where you want the shuttle to land.
    3. Quick vision on court will ensure you find the openings on the court to get the point or in the worst case, limit your opponent's opportunities.

Lastly, you stated you're embarrassed to go back to your club because everyone knows you lost and will try to beat you. You should be so excited to go back, you want the aura of being an amazing player, it starts from not backing down from a challenge.

I'm in my 40s and I learn something new every time I step into the court. Each opponent is different and each game presents a new situation.

10. Natty Bumpo

Thanks for your advice! I need to definitely improve my footwork. My consistency is also terrible. I can rarely a hit a clean drop or a powerful smash multiple times in a row. Maybe I should focus on drills rather than games. Now at times I feel sluggish when playing. For the past week, I am fatigued too quickly. I can't clear to the back or hit a smash properly. I also can't seem to draw the energy to follow up my smash in doubles. Any tips on how to net kill?

11. Natty Bumpo

Hi everyone,

The Tournament was fun but we lost in the opening round. This was B level doubles and my partner was a an older relative of mine. We lost to the deceptive old guy and his partner who is an overall good player with a powerful smash. The score was 10-21 and 16-21. In the consolation round, the pressure was on us. We were playing two brothers who are both nationally ranked. One is in middle school and the other is in elementary school. The younger one is a fan favorite and our match was played on court one(like centre court) so everyone could watch. There was literally plenty of people on sides of the court watching. It was similar to the number of spectators at doubles finals match. We had the first game in the beginning and with a lead of 20-19, I hit a a very short mid court smash right into the net to make it 20-20. Then we lost the first game due to some silly mistakes. The second game we planned to target the younger kid because he was the weaker one and only like 4 feet tall. We pushed him to the back and forced him to make short clears. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish my smashes and there were a lot rallies. I played the back most of the time and my partner played the front. We would lift to the younger one hoping he would clear. Unforntunately he kept dropping perfect shots and making my partner in the front run from side to side. This kept going and we lost the game 11-21. Many spectators were rooting for the kids to win and they did fair and square. We made too many mistakes and I was not aggressive enough. I still can't seem to be aggressive. My attacks on serve are always returned and the same goes for my smashes. I seem to get tired often and loose focus. My net kills are terrible because I am worried I will hit the shuttle straight into the net. Most just try to drop the shot instead of killing it. What really bothers me is that I've guys 10 years older than just start playing for the first time and in 4-5 months pickup the game so well and be so aggressive and accurate with all their shots. They are all really better than me now. I am usually the second or third option the good players at our club need an extra person doubles. Not sure what it takes to be aggressive

12. Suchir

Suchir Regular Member

playing badminton
    I guess it's just the atmosphere of the tournament... U prolly got rlly nervous and played bad. I had that happen to me

13. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    If we're talking about the same grading system here, based on the video you posted I would put you in as a level C. B is for intermediate to advanced players and A are top level club players and university team players who train regularly. then theres the open level players who would compete in state and national tourneys.

First, find a good coach. If you have one, then you are obviously not training enough if you've been like this for 4 years. Get your coach to work on your fundamentals, start with your footwork and be able to cover the entire court. When doing footwork drills, push yourself. Don't be content with just being able to do it, do it faster, recover to base faster, run till you're going to pass out and if your legs and thighs are sore the next day, it means you had a good training day.

your coach should correct your form and work on every shot with drills. work on both forehand and backhand for each shot and always returning to base. 3 sets of drills for every shot and revisit whatever shots need work. clears (overhead and backhand), flat drives from both sides of the court, pushes in front of the net to kill loose net shots, net shots knowing how low you need to keep them since you just did net attacks, drops from the back, smash drills, footwork smash drills moving you from both sides and smashing, smash defense blocks and lifts, chasing down drops and lifting them to a good height to the back, short serve, flick serve, singles high serve, play halfcourt singles, play singles without smashing, play singles without clearing, etc. theres so many i can go on and on.

do active recovery, train lightly while your body is still sore. eat good food, no junk, get plenty of sleep and let your body heal itself. be an athlete. keep doing this for months and you'll see your overall fitness and game improve. keep playing and constantly tweak your game for years.

you don't have to be aggressive to play badminton. the most common advice every club player gets during competitions is to relax. if you're naturally relaxed then thats an advantage for you. aggressive and emotional players can crumble under pressure.