Your comments on my humble attempt at the jump smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kamalbensra, Mar 7, 2016.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

As Obi-Wan said to Luke, don't think about it, just feel the Force and use it.

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I think most of the points I was going to raise has been made already but a couple more points to help refine your jump a little bit more.

Your shoulders and upper body is not side-on enough. Your shoulders are facing the net too much. It doesn't need to be perfectly 90-deg but as you draw your racquet arm, just pull your racquet shoulder back a touch more. Also it is clear (as has been said) that your kick is not quite right. You should complete your kick just before impact, usually at the peak of your jump so that you contact the shuttle as you begin your descent. It also looks quite wide - in the sense that you open your legs quite a lot - like a star jump.

3. kamalbensra

kamalbensra Regular Member

Is the kick really a kick? Because I have lots of difficulty attempting it. I can understand stretching out my non-racket hand, pulling my shoulders back, getting behind the shuttle etc. But I really can't understand this kick at all. Every time I try to kick, I feel it's like I'm pulling myself downwards. It feels awkward and it seems to go against what I'm trying to do with my upper body.

4. kamalbensra

Yesterday's practice:

4 attempts shown in this video. The first three I don't bend my knees as much as the fourth. Kicking is something I don't quite understand as yet.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

It will come naturally when you contract your core.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep. If you start the kinetic chain with the hip first, then core, shoulder, etc, all the way to the fingers (ie. proximal to distal transfer), then the kick will occur naturally as a result.

Just think: hip, hit, hooray. And the kick will follow.

7. kamalbensra

What do you mean by hip hit hooray?

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

In this case it means start with your hips

9. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    From your video above,

Your upper legs should be bent back when you jump to create a reflex action at the waist so you will be able to bend back your upper body at the same time- your upper legs are bending forward/upward in the jump (bend only occur at the knee only mostly) and straightening down after that, so you felt it is pulling you down.

The kick is the resultant action from at the top of the jump when the waist is bending back forward; which comes to a sudden forceful stop naturally which enable you to throw the elbow and forearm high and above for the hit a racket length in front..