Killed in action

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by badrad, May 10, 2005.

1. HLinIllinois

HLinIllinois New Member

Playing w faulty equipment...

[I have charge of 20 kids from ages 4-17 for one hour on Sundays...weekly racquet inspection would be a hassle, remember, there's also attendance and a lesson...any quick solutions out there?]

HL

#21 HLinIllinois, May 20, 2005
    Last edited: May 20, 2005
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if it is a class format, group them into pairs and have each person in the pair inspect the other person's racket.

3. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i think i can confirm this incident, as my coach had told me he was there when it happened. apparently it was one of the crappy community center provided steel racket of some kind, and the shaft/head came apart from the handle. it is a very tragic incident. i think it was 4 white people, under the age of 30, playing, when a racket head+shaft flew off and struck a person opposite the court near the eye. this resulted in brain damage or something, and the poor fellow passed away :(

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Thanks for the info, SWC_Ant ... I think many players are curious of the details of this tragic incident.

-dave

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is indeed really sad.

but to learn from this accident, we badminton players need to keep an eye out, make sure the rackets our opponents use are in good condition and won't suddenly fall apart.

but i think such an accident is very very rare, the chance that we see a racket break and flying off is very rare, and add to that having it fly straight into someone's eye is even more rare. at least we do hope so.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Feel very very sorry for this person.

All the safety concerns, such as inspecting equipment, should be highly recommended through out our community. However, don't be surprised that many "good players" will think us getting crazy, for looking at rackets all the time before the game. :cool:

One more thing, i really get motivated to improve my body reflex now. :eek: :cool:

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    because of poor funding, these old and decripited steel rackets (or those new steel ones that sell for 5$ each here or 1$ in china) are even more dangerous than modern fake racquet. A piece of flying steel debris pack alot more punch than a piece of flying graphite. Maybe ok for a E level player but a decent swing by an adult can dislodge any loose piece. Last year, i converted a bent heavy steel racket as a warmup racket. I had to add extra security measures around the shaft-handle connection for safety reason because i know i can dislodge it if i don't.

#27 cooler, May 26, 2005
    Last edited: May 26, 2005
  8. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

man why wud u use a steel racket as a training racket though? its dangerous + it can injure u, because of uneven distribution of weight. Use an Iso 53 mf, those are 2u g3, and the sweet spot is big, so u wun get as much power with ur regular swing, causing you to improve strengh. iso 53 mf = good training racket

9. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    guys this is fo real, just last week somebody died playing...well, after playing badminton, they had an intense game and after that the guy sat down to drink, then after drinking he stood up and suddenly collapsed, he hit his head on the floor, theres this 2inch hole at the back of his head, doctors said he had a heart attack and he's just 27yrs. old:eek:

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    wow - only 27 years old! did he die from the heart attack or from concussion?

really have to make sure you obey the signs your body gives you, but when competing it's hard to tell. during the hot spells, keeping hydrated is essential, this prevents cramps and possible heat strokes.

I remember one night a while back, at Britannia, there was this rather silly 80+ year old (lol...not me!) who was playing with a bunch of younger teens (lol...lol...NOT ME!), and after playing a game as he sat down on the bench, he just casually collapsed. he was totally unconscious, and had labored breathing. W-O-D had to close the gym as the ambulance came to attend to him. he did wake up, and he had absolutely no idea what had happened and why there was all the emergency crew around him.

11. glencomienda111

manager
    the doctors said he suffered a stroke thats why he collapsed, and at the same time when he hit his head on the floor gave him the concussion, having a 2inch hole at the back of your head will make you lose blood a lot quickly, so i guess both, i talked to the guy he was playing with, he told me that there wasnt any sign that the guy was having an attack or something, they both sat down to drink, after a couple of seconds the guy stood up then suddenly fell, kinda scared on what just happened, im just 30 yrs. old and that thing happened to someone whose younger than me:( thay tried to revive him 'cuz some of the players on the court were nurses and doctors but there was nothing they can do.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    at least he died happy

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Sorry to hear the demise of some badminton players while in action. I do also hear some pll died of heart attack while playing badminton. However i think the mortality rate in badminton is still much lower compare to other sports.

14. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    happen at the High Prairie Open a few years ago - guy died of a a heart attack after playing. Evylngrynn's dad was there when it happened.

15. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

indeed a tragedy..
    wasn't there a Korean guy died after playing PS/Xbox nonstop, not too long ago ?

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yeah, but playing PS/Xbox is not a sport.

17. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    Some of the readers might remember ?

I remember one incident few years back at the US open held in anaheim at the Orange County Badminton Club (OCBC),98 ?

One of the players from Canada ( if I remember correctly) felt on her back, while trying to recover a shot, she scream so load " somebody please help me !!", the whole gym went dead silence for a few minutes, the incident went so fast, no one know exactly what had happened or type of injury she sustained from the fall, after being attended by the paramedic for a few minutes, she was standing up, walking off the court. and thanks God, she was OK.

We have some players in the club using fake Yonex they bought from China, reading some of the posting about flying rackets, maybe I should stop playing with those guys.

18. glencomienda111

manager
    LOL i was thinking about that also:D didnt say it though 'cuz he might haunt me, now at least theres the 2 of us:p

19. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    cracked my racquet on mrs. badrad's head...

I am in the doghouse for a few days. I broke my new racquet, but it was the fact that I broke it over mrs. badrad's head that has me in the bad...

we were having some fun beating up a couple of boys last nite. NOW... My story is that the mid court lift was deeper than I thought and that mrs. badrad backed up into my smash follow through. Her story is that it was a mid-court floater and that I reached out too far...

The entire gym could hear the "crack". She winced - but not a single tear. We then completed the game (we did a 15-1 on the boys). I think the boys got real scared of mrs. badrad when they saw her just shake it off and continue playing like nothing happened.

mrs. badrad has forbidden me from throwing away that racquet, as she wants to keep it to show everyone what I did to her...

well... at least i didn't kill her... with all that guilt she is giving me, maybe, just maybe...:D

20. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    You might as well build a kitchen, and comfy bunk in that doghouse, badrad. Sounds like you gonna be there a while! :D Bwahahahahahhaa ...

Ouch! for Mrs Badrad. BAD DOG! BAAAAAAAAAD DOG!

How's her head this morning? Headaches, bumps?

-dave