When your opponent drives to your backhand

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kamalbensra, Jun 27, 2016.

1. kamalbensra

kamalbensra Regular Member

hey guys,

I wana ask for advice.

If you're playing doubles and you're on the left and your opponent drives to your (area around your) left, do u return the shot using a backhand or round-the-head?

I got caught today (after quite a while because not every player plays that shot). Hence I 'forgot' to be prepared for that. My fault for not being alert enough. After getting caught the first time, i was more prepared and when the opponent drove the shuttle again to the same area, I returned the shot using a backhand.

Your thoughts?

2. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    depends where your opponent is hitting from i guess. if he is hitting cross court to you backhand side i would probably have my forehand ready and want to hit with my forehand... and depending on if i have time to switch to backhand to play the shot. if he is hitting from straight... from his forehand to your backhand... i would have tended to prepare for a backhand grip and play a backhand.

also depends on the situation of the rally though. if you were defending from and attack, a return of serve, a return of the return of serve?!

but in truth there is no right or wrong... whichever is most comfortable to you in that situation is fine. some people lack power with the backhand drive so i would play a round the head, others have better power control and deception on the backhand so they would favour the backhand more in those situations.

a video would help. or a better description of your scenario.

3. kamalbensra

This is what I mean. Opponent hitting from his forehand. A good strong drive. I agree with strengthening one's backhand, esp a backhand drive. I'm weak in that. That's probably why I couldn't return it the first time. The second time I returned it ok (I netted it). Wish I could have returned with a good return drive. Will work on my backhand drive.

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    It's important to have good reaction to change between the grips. It's also important to be quick and to generate with your fingers and wrist a short, but powerful swing. From my experience it is great to train it with a partner. Start with slowly hitting forehand to backhand and try to increase the speed. Next step is to change alternate forehand backhand with your partner and increse the speed. IMO most people don't stand correct for drives, aren't really prepared and get the timing wrong. I suggest to add a drive routine to your warm up, if you don't have a coach. Otherwise ask your coach to practise with him. I have a real fixed warm-up routine with my partners (XD & MD) and this helps me alot to be "READY" for a game.

5. kamalbensra

You nailed it. It's not easy to switch between forehand and backhand for drives. I think it's important to train w a partner and specifically alternate between forehand and backhand drives. It is really important to train and learn to be able to switch fast. I'm unable to switch fast enough for now and end up taking either forehand or backhand for al the shuttles (that go to my left and right area). And that's not the correct way right

6. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    watch some of the pros who have excellent racket carriage, people like LYD, Cai Yun, i particularly like Zhang Nang. Although he is a bit unorthodox, you will see him driving on his forehand side with a backhand grip. but its pretty effective. but the generation of power with next to no backswing is pretty good.

7. kamalbensra

Yes and I've tried that during training. Hitting all my drives (including forehand) using backhand. But that should not be what we should be training for correct? Because in a game, you're probably holding the racket with a forehand grip and unless u can change grips fast enough, u wouldn't return a forehand shuttle with a backhand grip.

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

The exact same could be said about having to switch your grip from a forehand quickly to play a backhand shot. Either way, learning how to quickly adjust your grip is going to be necessary.

9. kamalbensra

Agreed. Learning to quickly adjust your grip is smthg we have to be able to do.

So I trained with a friend today. And let me share. If you're playing doubles and you're taking care of your half of the court (the left half) while your partner looks after the right half, there is almost no way I (I speak for myself as I don know about others' ability) can reach a shuttle which goes cleanly down the left sideline with a round-the-head shot. No way. I just can't reach it (unless I'm already standing more towards the left - which I won't because then the right side of my court would be left empty). In this case, a backhand would be the only possible return. And while training today, that's what I was able to do - a backhand drive or soft return to the net. There was no physical way I could reach the shuttle with a round the head shot.

#9 kamalbensra, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  10. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    tbh if you are getting drives your racket should be in front of you... so an around the head shot shouldnt even really be a potential option.

11. kamalbensra

You're ryt. In fact, IMO ur racket should always be in front of u or slightly up, but not down.

12. kamalbensra

Guys,

Another question. When practising drives, and you're interchanging between forehand and backhand grip, when switching from forehand to backhand, do you turn the racket
    - clockwise, or
    - anti-clockwise?
    I reckon the more common technique is clockwise.
    I tried anti-clockwise and found that it works as well.

13. decoy

decoy Regular Member

When going from backhand to forehand I turn the grip counter clockwise. I turn it clockwise going forehand to backhand. That would be the shortest distance to turn for both, wouldn't it?

14. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    If your opponent plays a good drive you are always to late to be hitting it round the head. If its to high: round the head and with power, take the offensive.

If the drive comes with great speed, it gets tricky to play an accurate backhand drive or lob, but if you can its always a good way of defending. If the drive gets to you with great speed and in an steep angle you might find yourself only able tp return a netshot. On those I'd like to wait to the very last moment and movements of the opponent to play it straight or cross with just a slight wrist movement. As that is such a defensive shot it is something you might want to avoid though.

15. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Drive back to the empty space if it's near the body
    Block or lift if it's far (you have to step to get it)

And use a backhand MORE as the backhand grip can cover larger areas. This is something I often forget as I had a habit using forehand for drives since small.
    Backhand grips can also be easily used for forehand shots.
    My favorite the drive battle where one give up and then lift short. By using a backhand grip and doing abckhand shots at the drive, you don't need to change the grip too much and just hit using an overhead shot.