Badminton Smash Return foot positon

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dineshr, Jan 1, 2017.

1. dineshr

dineshr New Member

Hi, I am looking at certain videos of right handed Pro Players and notice that they keep their left foot forward when ready to receive smashes. Does it help with balance and pivot or slight foot adjustments with right if needed?

I either take a neutral stance or keep my right foot forward.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    There are a few reasons.

1) If the shot is played as a drop, it allows you to take a longer step forward with your racket leg.
    2) You are aligned to retrieve any fast clears they might play instead of a smash/drop.
    3) You are more ready to retrieve a shot on your forehand side. You'll notice if they're confident their opponent will smash on their backhand side, they'll adjust their footing slightly. This however, requires a good level of reading the game and anticipation.
    4) It makes you less vulnerable to smashes played towards the racket shoulder by giving you extra response time should they hit there.

Generally, you go for a pretty even stance, with your racket foot just a little behind the non-racket foot.

3. dineshr

dineshr New Member

Thanks! I am trying it and I felt a little odd at first but seems promising after a few games. Got to do more of this.

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant

Here's a good video for you to look at for smash defence.

5. dineshr

dineshr New Member

thanks..will take a look, although would it matter if my main game is doubles where I am expected to also clear as well as as do fast drives on the returns to get past the net player..

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Smash defence in doubles is a bit different, because you don't need as much sideways movement to cover your side of the court.

You still tend to have your racket foot back a bit, but you tend to have your weight more forward to cover a drop.

7. dineshr

dineshr New Member

Got it. thanks!...got to put it to practise now.

8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    In general, most players will angle their feet depending on which side the shuttle is coming from (this is applicable mainly for doubles). If the shuttle is lifted high to the backhand side, normally the player will stand with racket foot slightly forwards. If the shuttle is high on the forehand side, the player will stand with non racket foot slightly forwards. This is intended to prevent too many shuttle travelling "across" the player.

As a general rule, I believe the feet should be mainly side by side, but having one foot slightly in front of the other allows you to push forwards and backwards more easily (which is important for retrieving clears and drops). I personally have racket foot slightly forwards more often than not, but on occasion I will stand differently depending on where the shuttle may come from, what shots I expect etc.

All the best!