Does Lin Dan have any weaknesses?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dave010, Mar 5, 2017.

1. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Just as the title says :)

2. phorge

phorge Regular Member

His age.

Shenvi likes this.
  3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Back in 2008/2009 - no. He was incredible.
    Nowadays? He has incredible tactical knowledge, and extremely high shot quality. However, he is not that fast anymore (although he is efficient) and not that threatening overhead (his technique changed a lot for the worse in my view).

Back in 2008/2009, he was the best mens singles player I have ever seen, and nobody else even came close.

DeathMarkz, dave010 and Abu Tanki like this.
  4. LEE CHUN KIT

LEE CHUN KIT New Member

I agree that LD was the best player in badminton history, but I think his prime time was 2011/2012 rather than 2008/2009, as we could see LD in that time got the fastest footwork (so did LCW), the most powerful smash (none of the MS players could make it), the greatest hand skill. Back to 2008/2009, no doubt LD was great and got the most explosive power (both smash and speed), but his net shot and defence were not better than LCW's.

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Lin Dan's speed in 2008/9 was incredible. His defence and net may not have been better than LCW, but they were equal. His tactics and overhead were far superior. Lin Dan's speed and overhead action was not as good in 2011 from my point of view. He had just taken a large amount of time off, and I really believe his overhead had less threat. Lin Dan didn't play the same attacking style that he used to - and its that attacking style that was so incredible.

Being able to substantially change his game, from all out attack, to more patient and thoughtful, makes Lin Dan incredible. But I still think Lin Dan of 2008/9 was the best simply due to his chosen gameplay style. He combined the best defence (equal to LCW) with the most powerful and explosive attacking I have ever seen. His patient play in 2011 and 2012 was much less spectacular from my point of view, although I agree his skills (net in particular) have increased over time.

6. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I'm not sure any of the top players have any "weakness". They do everything at such a high level. Maybe what they have is 'weakest part of their game'.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Lin Dan at the final of Beijing Olympics was so incredible so much so that I felt there was something not quite right.

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    LD's performance in 2008 was something that you would probably only see once in a lifetime. Something that was incredible in more ways than one. However it is difficult to argue whether his performance around 2011 was better. He seemed a lot more mature and steady yet still fast and aggressive. The question you guys are effectively asking is would a 2008 LD beat a 2011 LD? I personally would say yes. His speed, constant attack and consistency was so relentless in ~2008 that it made up for any deficiencies he may have had at the time. I guess when you have won it all, your desire to win is more is not quite as strong.

But going back to topic, I think he does have some clear weaknesses now. The obvious ones are speed and stamina - as you would with age but I have noticed that his forehand defence is quite weak, he seems to struggle to get any smashes down his forehand side back well. He also seems to struggle to get to fast net drops, particularly on the bh side.

His smashes don't seem to be as accurate and consistent as they once were although he does seem to reserve his smash for occasions when it could be a clear winner.

9. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    His weakness is slow now and weakness in defence in German now

Lukman Shaari likes this.
  10. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    LD shares the same weakness as Tiger Wood, Bruce Lee and many more men before and after.

pcll99 and dave010 like this.
  11. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Still a top player when focused. If he is in the mood for all the matches he will win the All England, if not anyone can defeat him.

12. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Gave up today in all England.

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    He outperformed DLCW to the point that it seems he doesnt realise he is playing in the Olympic final but more like practicing.

As much it is impressive to watch DLCW playing when he is in top form but when LD is in top form, then very likely he is in invincible mode and any opponent that is playing with him is just there to face defeat in a manner whether it is a quick or slow one:)

During his supreme reigning days, its seems very unlikely he has any weakness. Thats why he is alwsys THE player to beat (other than DLCW). At this conquering stage, the only weakness that can possibly be will be within and from himself..... mentally...... .....overconfident and think things can be taken easily.... Eventually, that leads to unexpected defeat.

eelvis likes this.
  14. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Saying he's weak in defence now is a bit unfair, his defence was always a bit suspect. The thing is, he used his superior physique to execute great dives, and purposely left spots open on the court to use them. Opponents don't expect that retrieval, but he used it a lot and got very good at getting back up from it quickly.

Problem is his returns aren't always that great off of the dive, they're a return and they work because people didn't expect it for a long time. Now players counter it, they aim to rapidly push him back from that position. It's tiring as all hell.

Lifts are also either fantastic or awful, need I remind you of OG SF round 2? Must've lifted out at least 7 times.

His straight clears are also very inconsistent, with many of them landing long these days.

I love watching him play but I'm honestly surprised so many players fall for his shenanigans after this many years.

His forehand corner has already been mentioned, but it's not a weakness, it's a choice. VA may have made use of it, but I am happy to bet LD can put the shuttle anywhere on the court from that position. That's why nobody rushes it. He's very experienced and can analyse and change his shot right up until the last moment. He has the patience to change from a smash to a drop or clear if it becomes beneficial.

That last part is what makes him so formidable. He doesn't have shots he likes, only the right shot for the moment.

dave010 likes this.
  15. linhrom

linhrom Regular Member

Hes from china. Where they have vast experience coaches, whatever "weakness" anyone can point out, they will work on it straight away.

So its not so called "weakness" but more like where you should and shouldnt do agaisnt such players. Applied to most top players

16. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Weakness may not be the right word I think.... whenever he falls short during a rally, his vast expereince comes to his aid and makes him right any initial 'wrong', so the end result is a very tough person to beat.

I offer myself to help you discover his weakness. Set him up for a game against moi ;)

17. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Except when he lifts it 8 inches out of the lines... ;)

dave010 and eelvis like this.
  18. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

you don't see a Chinese guy boasting of 8 inches....;) lol jk!