When does one know if he is a defensive or an attacking player?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LenaicM, Feb 27, 2018.

?

What is your style of play?

1. Defensive

2. Attacking

3. Balanced

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Glad to see that I was not far off with that lower body rotation. Good luck changing the habit!
    On getting behind the shuttle you are right you get behind well enough except on that stick smash but that is difficult on fast shots.
    Your main concern should be the lower body rotation as it seems to be the biggest point right now.

Ahah I feel you I was convocated at 8:00 on Saturday AND Sunday this weekend (with the energy savings time change it was a nightmare!)
    I have a lot of tournament coming up (one this week and one next week in addition to the one I just participated in). It is gonna be exhausting but exciting. I am a fresh d8 in singles with last Sunday results (lost in final of d9-d8 draw).

LenaicM likes this.
  2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

That's some good results congrats! I'm P10 and I play in Provence but may be we'll cross each other on court one day!

3. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Thanks! I am very happy with this run. Hope to best that in the next weeks
    I see keep it up I was p10 some months ago ! I am playing around Versailles. Lots of tournament here and the level is quite high too.
    Maybe!

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I'm guessing you prefer to smash to your right, much more than your left? If you see in your over head preparation that the racket faces completely to the side. This might suggest your grip is still not correct. Also your strike point is quite far to the right, instead of more in front of you. This kills your options an/or your power if you want to hit to the left.

A 'minor detail' that will have a big impact on max smash power is how much your elbow does/doesn't lead your swing. Check out any 'slow mo' smash video on youtube and pay attention to how far ahead pros elbos are, and how far down their back the racket goes. Creating such a difference gives space for racket head acceleration. Your action is more compact by quite a margin.

LenaicM likes this.
  5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I do smash more to the right. I also try to smash on the left of the court though but then my smashes will most likely be out so I tend to focus on the right side. I will try to review my grip which I think is OK but might be too tensed before impact.

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks I will definitely try to correct those points you mentioned I wasn't necessarily well aware! I will try to bring that elbow up as like you mentioned I don't at all and I'm sure it will help to increase power.

6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Did I go a little bit too far here?

Like I already mentioned on that thread,clubs are closed during summer in France. It's only been 15 days and while I workout more, do a lot of footwork related exercises on this "garden court", today I decided to try self-feeding as I was just so desperate to hit some shuttles. It does look a bit ridiculous and it's not easy to find the timing. Also it's possible to self-feed on almost every strokes like net shots, backhands or drives. I even tried to do some kind of multi shuttle by throwing the shuttle quite randomly around the court. It sort of works...

My concern is: will self-feeding give me a wrong sense of timing / positioning for my strokes and thus should be avoided or is it ok? (Even though it looks ridiculous :))

7. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I'm interested in some experiences too ,because I like to train at home and feed shuttle to myself too.

I think, that there are many benefits, e.g. legs get stronger, faster, better eye-hand coordination.

The concerns I have with self-feeding is, that the angle and speed of the shuttle when it hits the racket is just not right and you will most likely need to adapt your power and racket angle when back on court.

I tried this once with self-feeded reverse sliced crosscourt drops... well, at home they worked perfectly, on court not really. So the carry-over of shots might be limited. :cool:

Cheung and LenaicM like this.
  8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

That's a feeling I experienced when I tried forehand strokes at the back of the court such as smashes or even clears. The timing felt off because of the speed and the angle of the shuttle like you just perfectly said.

Well I'm not sure many players resort to self-feeding but nice to see I'm not going mad and someone else is doing it too!