Cross court dribble/drop

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by r10sai.tm, May 31, 2019.

1. r10sai.tm

r10sai.tm New Member

Would like to see videos on Cross court net drop shot/dribble, with a focus on the gripping.

Whenever I try that it's a tad bit higher than net. So opponents are killing it. Sometimes I get it right, but not out of proper technique. Just luck. Would like to learn how to in a proper way.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

#1 r10sai.tm, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Very different between backhand and forehand action. Are you struggling on both or more in a certain direction?

A video of your current stroke will also help if you're able to upload one to YouTube and link it here. More likely than not, your contact point is probably too low, so it won't matter what technique you use - it will be too predictable and too difficult to get it tighter to the net in such a situation.

#2 DarkHiatus, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  3. r10sai.tm

r10sai.tm New Member

Thanks for the reply. I struggle on both, more so with backhand than my forehand. I'll try to get a video. I don't play professionally or in any competition. Just with a casual club. And Hamilton (in NZ) isn't that popular for badminton so can't find coaches, especially affordable one's .

And I haven't really noticed the point of contact or how low I'm taking the shuttle. I'll try to observe it this week and give more details.

4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Hold the racket in your fingers, so you can turn it with your fingers. This video is not focused on the grip, but it seems to be not too bad overall. I didn't watch it completely and at first glance, I'd teach the grip differently (more in your fingers, not so tight) to be able to hit a variety of shots from the same position, but the overall movement seems to be explained well

Approach ne the net, your arm not completely straight. Drop your elbow and just gently push the shuttle.

It's the same (the other way around) on the backhand side!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

As mentioned above, it's a guiding/pushing action...not hitting or tapping.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

6. khoai

khoai Regular Member

This is a super slomo video from our very own @nbonkowsky. Basically, you need to cock your wrist to allow supination.

#6 khoai, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Cheung likes this.
  7. r10sai.tm

r10sai.tm New Member

Hey guys. Played today and found that my point of contact was low, so I will now focus on hitting the shuttle closer to top of the net.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

DarkHiatus likes this.