Using not enough power to properly block drops/slow smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ballschubser, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I've an issues with blocking drops targeted near the service line or slow smashes. It seems, that I take blocking literally, that is, just holding the racket still, so that the shuttle rebound gently to the opponents frontcourt. The problem is, that the power behind these returns is often too low and the shuttle get caught in the top 10cm of the net.

So, how to generate enough power to block it over the net, without pushing it too high ?

I'm a little bit lost here, it seems that I'm only able to play it in a binary way, either too powerless or too powerful.
    Do I need to use only my arms ? A little wrist flick ? Or just my fingers ?
    Is it easier to play it cross, because you can use more power ?

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

This is definitely a finger and wrist control thing. It just requires experimenting until you find the optimum amount of power needed to block it over the net. Also, try angling your racquet face slightly more upwards, as this will generate a bit more height on your blocks.

Ballschubser likes this.
  3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

A downwards shot that lands near service line is either a drop/fast drop (which is what you describe as a slow smash).

If you are playing a shot to your opponent's forecourt from a drop/fast drop, you aren't playing a block, you are playing a net shot. Therefore, you shouldn't think of your racquet as a literal 'block'; it is a finely controlled net shot, just like you would play a tumbling net shot (but likely taken a bit lower, assuming your opponent played a reasonable drop/fast drop and your footwork isn't fast enough to take it above net height).

The amount of power you need to use will depend on how fast your opponent hit the shuttle, and what angle it is coming over the net. Generally though, you are about 1m away from the net, and you don't really have to hit it all that hard, so at most you are only likely to need a little finger power if you need any at all.

You can use your arm if you want to be deceptive, by getting into the position to lift the shuttle, and then stopping your swing short of lifting, so you get a shuttle that loops over the net. It won't be as tight as using your fingers, but used sparingly, you can trick your opponent into moving away from the net too early.

As always, hit 1000 shuttles from the same position and you'll figure out the power you need!

Ballschubser likes this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Im not quite understand about the problem. Why would you had hard time on lifting a dropshot. Even me in my beginner day whos play 3U head heavy racket for double find no problem on lifting dropshot. My return might be awfull, going outside the court, or messy but for power it self i find no problem.

What i can think is
    1. that you are pushed back to the rear court & not ready to take sudden drop play. You run catching the bird & have a very late/short swing to lift it up.
    2. You mean flat fast drive play. If this is the case, blocking literally is not a bad idea. What matter is how you face your racket so it wont be fly to high for your opponent to cut.

5. Ballschubser

Because I'm not lifting the shuttle, I'm trying to 'block' it (net shot), so that is only pass gently over the net,.

Yeah, and here we get to the common problem in germany: training is mostly only for the youth, when you are older like me (>45) and you don't have learned how to play it in your youth, then the only option is to learn it by playing vs other players who want to have fun. And coaches are rare, at least I only found one who gives private sessions, but I need to drive 2-3 hrs for a single session.

What I do is, that I started recording some games and try to identify where I can improve myself. Sometimes it is easier (e.g. how to do proper lunges), but sometimes it is really hard. When you watch videos about how to move/activate your arms/fingers etc. for a shot, you often see only a blurry half-second image and 90% of all shot-training videos are about the smash.

6. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I'm in the UK, and although I get coaching, the emphasis of each coach and the methods they employ are often very different. Even two in the same club teach opposite ideals sometimes!

I previously found that finding a like-minded training partner was the most effective way to get 100s of shuttles fed. It's better have a coach present too, but getting either a coach OR a training partner is hard enough. Find someone else who wants to improve (there are people out there who are not youths, believe it or not!), and take turns in feeding shuttles to each other (even 2 dozen shuttles is enough to do this with, but you can grow your used shuttle collection in a box). The feeding is actually very good practice in itself - you'd be surprised how hard it is to deliver a consistent feed to your partner, even though you have no footwork to worry about. It is good practice for your finger technique.

LenaicM likes this.
  7. visor

visor Regular Member

The action you want is a pushing action, not a hitting action. You want to feel the cork and feather sit on the string much longer than a hitting action. To the point of almost carrying the shuttle over the net.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

You mean, you recieve a drop shot & want to return it with drop shot to. The world "generating enough power" is kinda confuse me. So you problem is how to adjust your power to return dropshot with dropshot. If that the case then you just need more practice as not much power required for it. Like you said its practically blocking the bird with adding little thumb or finger push depend on how fast the bird are.

9. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

Worn\soft strings can sometimes make this harder, i.e: lack of control.

10. regularAl

regularAl New Member

Imho the best way to practice pushing action and the "feel" is to play net game only with your partner. So what you do is you start with your doubles service but then right after the service the court is limited only to the front service line. For added fun, you can keep score also.

LenaicM likes this.
  11. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

You can actually try practicing doing this all by yourself in your room. Toss a birdie into the air just in front of you and try hitting it softly with the racket in a sort of mildly "bouncy" manner to the opposite side until you get the hang of the control.

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

Ballschubser likes this.
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

Good suggestion. But I would add not "bouncy," but instead make it more "catchy". This is where you can learn the difference between the two actions, and the amount of action required to get it to the various gradations in between.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#12 visor, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there

Visor hit the jackpot here in regards with giving you the relevant guidance of the type of technique required when addressing such scenario. "Pushing action" will be the approach that you need to learn and training through multiple shuttle feed will be the best way for you to get all the relevant input about how this technique should be correctly done practically.

Just want to add more, since pushing action can be consider as a "delicate" kind of shot and therefore, if you address the incoming birdie way to late then more hitting actions are required in order to propel the birdie after contact has been made since the resistance that your birdie need to travel from your late reply has become greater and the height that the birdie needs to go through the net cord as well has also increased. In this case, your pushing action is not the type of hit that you want to you use when you're in this situation. In view of this, more swinging actions involved during this late contact and thus the quality of your reply will probably not be that good (errors/weak reply).

Therefore, one must understand that it's not just about the technique but also the manner on how you address that incoming drop will also dictate on the quality of your next reply. If you are able to always address the incoming drop shot at it's earliest opportunity then addressing it with the above technique will greatly increase your chance of a quality reply since the resistance from both the distance and net height that the birdie need to go through will likely be minimal.

SS

Cheung, Ballschubser and visor like this.
  14. Ballschubser

+
    I practiced it in my cellar with a provisionally net and some used shuttles and it works quite good. I have tried this before, but was unsure if this was the right way.

What I do is to "push" with my arm and shoulder only, no real wrist or finger action involved other then steering the racket.
    I have done this several times before when receiving a serve in double, gently pushing it cross (only arm, no wrist/finger). But until now I was thinking, that it is wrong/awkful technique and I need to actually hit every shuttle.

When I'm pressed on and late to the shuttle, I instinctly hit a lift.

I think that you although need some space left to move your arm/shoulder, so when stretching to reach the shuttle, pushing wouldn't be an option, because I wouldn't be able to move my arm/shoulder any further to guide it over the net, right ?

15. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Yes bro

Ballschubser likes this.
  16. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Power for blocks comes from the legs. Squat low and push off with ur legs + body when you block