Where to aim your smash if your smash isn't too strong? (Level doubles)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SSSSNT, Jul 23, 2019.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I have this discussion with a friend yesterday about where to aim the smash if you don't have the biggest smash. So lets say your smash is just slightly below average power-wise.for an intermediate player. A lob comes at 3/4 the court and of course the opponent is ready to defend. Where is the best place to smash the majority of the time? Do we aim at opponent's racket shoulder? Body? Between the opponent? Do we look first at how the opponent is holding the racket? Do we just not smash and drop instead?

What has been your experience?

2. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Over your partner, so they can help you out and minimise the chance of you being counterattacked. If he has a strong enough smash, then play to rotate - drop and move in as soon as is reasonable.

If you are set on being the rearcourt player, then with a weaker smash, you NEED to make use of variation.

You can gain advantages by either making your stroke faster than your opponents reflexes, or by increasing your opponents reflexes to be longer than your stroke. The former is having a big smash, the latter is by varying your attack.

There are many ways to vary your attack even without a huge amount of power. Vary the placement, vary the power (including drop Vs smash), use slice sometimes, and other times without (e.g. stop drops or plain half smashes).

ucantseeme and SSSSNT like this.
  3. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Variation, but that's for everyone so I won't cover it. In doubles, you smash towards the sidelines to rotate and move up, and you smash towards the middle to let your partner intercept and cut off drives. So if you are weaker at the back, you can smash towards the sidelines and then rotate up to the front. The above poster said you can drop and then move up. Unless you are playing mixed doubles that's not going to happen. Another thing you can do is to change how you think of smashing. In this variation, you smash not to kill and win points, but to let you follow up and have continuity.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    This is a good question/topic.

We're always told that we can always improve if we work hard enough at something. But with smash power, there is a limit to what each person can physically achieve no matter how hard you train. Although power helps a lot, it is not the only thing that can make a smash effective.

So my first piece of advice to those who find that their smash power is lacking or at their limit is to work on accuracy and placement. Really make sure you can place your smash anywhere at will.

Whilst we all recognize FHF as one of, if not the best smashers of our sport, his smash was not actually that efficient (in terms of benefit to effort). It was reliable in that he was not only able to hit hard anywhere on the court, he was able to sustain it as well, he was relentless and this often forces opponents into error eventually. But his placement and variations were very limited and this made it quite predictable although it was still difficult to return due to the speed.

Other elite players, particularly those who have come to the fore in the last few years make far better use of angles, placement and variation instead of just brute force. This is a far more efficient way of forcing errors.

When we look at how opponents make errors in detail, we are essentially trying to make the defender mishit or mistime their defensive stroke (or in some cases both leaving the shot to the other). To do this we can try the following with our smash:

1. Speed - hard smash, reduces defender's time to play quality defensive shot.
    2. Angle - using steep smashes does several things. It prevents counterattacks, moves defenders forward and makes the straight defensive shot more likely. Angle is important as there are two areas you are trying to hit - either as high as possible on the defender's body (but making sure it is not long of the baseline) or very steep such that the defender has to reach forward to get it. But ideally not between the two where it is reasonably easy to defend and counterattack.
    3. Placement - place the smash at the body in an awkward position to defend, place in-between the defenders for confusion, or place wide near the sidelines. This is perhaps the most common smash that if you know how your opponents defend, can be very effective. The ideal position on the body is just above the racquet arm elbow area. Watch how your opponents defend, look at how they stand, where they stand, what grip they use, how they play the defensive strokes and where they like to place the shuttle. Knowing these things can help you decide where to place the shuttle.
    4. Variation - This is to prevent your opponents getting too comfortable with defending your smash and keeps them guessing and moving.

The most efficient smashes are a combination of these attributes. The more we move the defenders, the more they are likely to make an error, even if it is small movements such as having to change grips all the time or to change from forehand to backhand or having to move forward and back to base. If you can catch your opponents by smashing at them while they are still trying to move back to their base position this often produces some error which you can build on.

As mentioned above, if your smash power is limited, try working on the other points above, particularly 3 and 4.

5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I'd suggest being aware of the difference between when your opponents are lifting to you to goad you into smashing because they expect you to smash and in a certain place. Vs Your opponents lifted it and didn't really want to do so. (in both cases they expect a smash, but in the latter case they don't want that!)

Smashing straight at your opponent when your opponent set you up for it and expects it, is probably not the best idea, if you're trying to win.. In that situation. Smashing to the centre is ok or perhaps better is a different shot like a drop, or even a clear. Or sometimes a player might be good at defending low smashes but not higher ones, or higher ones but not lower ones, in which case you could pick accordingly.

If your opponents didn't mean to lift for you to smash it, then they might be out of position so then just smash where you see a space / where they are not.

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Hhmm... Im a power smasher & my preference racket is 3U head heavy racket for double. Not long ago im an agresive player that will smash hard any high bird wether im in good position or not i will force myself to smash it hard till i break the opponent wall. Well it work most of the time but the biggest downside it drain me really fast & my 2nd game i would be pretty laggy response.
    Lately i change my style (thanks to my friend that giving me advice). Instead of smashing all the time, i add color of my shot mix it with drop, flat drive, clear. Doesnt mean i stop smashing, smash still my majority of card i play but with the variation opponent hardly read my atk & feel unready when i launch my bombardment resulting easier point & i can maintain my stamina better. Or with this variation of play, i create a moment where it would make the opponent doing weak return that makes it imposible for them to block my hard smash return.

So, maybe your smash power still weak but power is not everything. Brain beat all. Use tactic instead of bruteforce.

wemo1234 likes this.
  7. S Chandrasekhar

S Chandrasekhar Regular Member

----------------

Agree on FHF one! On the other hand take the example of someone like Carsten Mogensen, who didnt have the speed of FHF but his smashes were incredibly effective from back court mainly due to his steep angle cross smash and the hip area which used to be his target. His jump Smash style is the best and so easy to the eye in my opinion :)

8. Taehee

Taehee Regular Member

I think that various course is the answer.
    Usually we always want to be a hard smasher. but If you are not a hard puncher you should aim for a course.

1. Basically use the straight course
    In that case your partner will finish the rally in the front court.
    But if you hit the shuttle to the cross side often, your partner have no chance to finish the rally.
    2. The opponent is not ready, in that case aim for the opponent's body.
    3. If The opponent is ready, in that case aim for the spot between the opponents.
    4. Sometimes If your opponent is careless, It's good to hit the shuttle to the cross side.

Below movie is what I said.

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I don't agree with you full. Your video is just a selection of good smashers. MGF, YW, PJ, Rankireddy, SSJ are not according to my impression weak smashers. So this is not related to the topic "Where to aim your smash if your smash isn't too strong?" That the conclusions out of your own made video can't be transfered to somebody who has a weaker smash.

I don't have a hard smash, but I get often the complement from opponents, that they feared my attack. Also my MD partner says that I have a decent and unpredictable smash when we do drills, but beeing honest: He hits harder than.

Why does people say this to me? I use a lot variation even small ones and I'm able to prepare a good smash. I can recommend to not hit every smash the same. Means:

• Hit 1-2 check smashs (not full) to prepare/built up the big one if possible. Opponents feel safer because they returned your smashs at slower pace. A change of pace from slow to fast can often be beneficial to create a weaker returns and disrupt the timing/rhythm you told your opponents before.
    • Don't hit several times the same spot. If you smash towards a player and he lift it use variation in the aim and roam. It's good to hit it steep first and than flater not vice versa because putting racket up is slower than dropping down.
    • Smash the same direction but around 30cm left or right. Opponent will barely move on straight lifts, this can disrupt the good positioning of him to defend well and can generate weaker returns.
    • Aiming the racket shoulder can also be very beneficial to make a return more difficult
    • Never force yourself to hit blind but powerful. Chances are high that the angle is flat and good be counter attacked, never smash 100% from the backline. If the lift is high and very deep, don't waste energy on this is make any recovery difficult. Do a good drop shot or a half smash instead and wait for a better chances to hit full.
    • I can't tell to hit always straight, middles or cross. I variate this on situation and what my front court player can cut out best, do we want to rotate, what the opponents can return more dangerous (can be personal), what I read (some opponents play always the same preferred returns) and adjust to them and where the gaps are, the weaker defender stands etc.
    IMO you can successfully hit winners with a weaker smash if you look for other parts of a smash beside brute power which make it dangerous, Especially if you play at a level where a smash is more a tactical shot and don't end the rally on regular base regardless how hard. My two cents.

dnewguy, Taehee, Mason and 5 others like this.