question about when to do and not to do an attacking clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ralphz, Jul 23, 2019.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I have a question about when to do and not to do an attacking clear, in (level) doubles..

Let's say they lift it high. In the axis perpendicular to the net it went to the back. And in the axis of the net it's in the middle of the box i'm in.

My partner goes front I go back to get it. If I do an attacking clear, my partner won't have much time to go sides So then I guess i'd have to get an attacking clear cross court from them.

On the other hand, another scenario, if they clear it to me and cleared it not that high, and my partner didn't find time to go front, then maybe an attacking clear is ok and we stay sides and I just have to worry about if they drop it to my side.

I'm not sure when to do an attacking clear.. When it is a strength and when it is a liability.. the right time, and the wrong time.

Thanks

2. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

In my opinion, As the name "attacking clear" suggest, it is for attack. Your partner stays at front (maybe take half step back) since you want to maintain an attacking position after the clear. So he covers the net and cut off any attempt of weak smashes from the opponent.

So IMO ideally an attacking clear is done when your opponent cannot get to it comfortably with a full smash. i.e he has moved too far to the front because you did a good drop the play before or you smashed twice and he is glued to the floor or just as rare variation of attack when it's not expected.

Of course, in lower levels, you can do attacking clears a lot because lower level opponents have a hard time replying to quality attacking clears.

ralphz and DarkHiatus like this.
  3. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Attacking clear when your partner is moving forward is very dangerous for your partner. Would not recommend lol.

Depending on the situation, if your partner absolutely has no time to move back, then he can duck and let you return any smashes towards him.

4. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Second @SSSSNT - it's an attacking clear. If you aren't in a position to attack, then do not play it. It's a bit like tight looping net shots as these are also played when you are exclusively in a strong attacking position. If you are taking them 1ft off the ground and your opponent is standing at the net, then it is ill advised, given that tight looping net shots will not achieve an attacking effect, just as an attacking clear is ill advised if your opponents are fully ready (in good balance, in a defensive formation).

That said, if you do choose to play one, then I assume you chose a good time to play it i.e. when you have gained an advantage and seek to vary your attack. For example, your opponent just played a lift to your rearcourt but hasn't quite managed to recover - an attacking clear can further unbalance him and maybe even force him to take a backhand shot from behind him!

You should be prepared to enter an offensive formation because you have played your attacking clear hoping for a weak return - if you do not adopt an offensive formation, then you are squandering your attack. Equally, you should not playing the attacking clear to neutralise a shot, so you shouldn't adopt a defensive sides formation.

As for your partner running forward as you play an attacking clear; in the ideal case he would move forward and kill a weak reply. If you played the clear badly (e.g. it goes midcourt) or it is played at a bad time (opponent was ready to counterattack), then be ready to defend but don't be surprised if your partner is too late to move into sides formation.

ralphz and LenaicM like this.
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

Clears are usually defensive, and attacking clears ie. punch clears are just slightly more offensive.

Rule is never do it if your opponent is standing mid court or rear of it as it will give away the attacking initiative.

There are only a few scenarios where I would use it.

1. If you have good deception, you can lull your opponent to think you are about to do a block or drop, but punch it past them with sudden grip tightening when you sense your opponent buying it and rushing forward.

2. If you're under severe movement pressure midcourt or rear, and need a safe placement shot, then a punch clear to the rear court in between your opponents (assuming doubles) is a good option as it creates confusion. You see this quite often with the JAP WD players.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ralphz likes this.