Putting racket infront of net

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Budi, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

So i play again some unknown which his services return is like cut the bird right after it passing over the net & return it fast flat to backline corner.

Normally my partner in the back would do the task to take it. But here im thinking. As he cut the bird right in front of the net & angel of the shot would be very small in short range, is it ok (by the rule) for me to put my racket in front of the shuttle (well... Still in my area for sure) to cut the shuttle path if he is doing flat shot.

2. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I think it is okay, as long as your feets are both on the ground not touching the lines. The disadvantage of such an approach would be, that any flick serve could do great damage.

When you are fast, with lot of anticipation, you will be able to intercept a low serve quite early near the net. To counter this, you should add some (good) flick serves from time to time and you need to keep the shuttle really low when it crosses the net (almost touching it).

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

:Dyeah... I know that by adding variation on my serve would be difficult for him try to cut my bird & yeah flick serve always put him at disadvantage. Just thinking another way if it possible:D

4. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Hum you are talking about returning a serve while I though OP wass talking about returning a serve RETURN.

I am pretty sure there is a rule against obstruction but I do not know exactly how it applies.

5. Ballschubser

Ahh. I see, yes you are right. In this case it would be just a block, as long as you don't reach across the net with your racket or hit the shuttle before it crosses the net, it would be a standard, legal block, right ? It is similar to these lucky blocks, when you played a too high netshot and your opponet kills it, you can place the racket just in front of the net in hope of blocking the kill.

@SimonCarter: But according to https://www.badmintonbible.com/rules/faults 13.4.4 it could be a fault,if it is legal to cross the net with your racket after hitting the shuttle on your side. In this case a block could obstruct your stroke...

We need @phihag here.

#5 Ballschubser, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Well.. As he hit the bird right after it cross the net which is pretty close, blocking it in the tight close to the net would cover alot of angle he can play. Even if it miss, my friend would likely to be able to take it. Just a surprise return.
    My only concern is as its very tight close & fast flat shot, the shuttle ball havent turn back & im hitting the feather instead causing it fall to my area. Maybe i should ask my friend for a try as its legal:D

7. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Can it be obstruction?

1. When you have a hitting motion yourself, you do not do it to obstruct, but to hit the shuttle. This lowers the chance of an obstruction call significantly.

2. When the serve is good, the opponent cannot hit the shuttle cleanly, cross the net with the racket and not touch the net. In theory this might be possible, but in reality?

3. How fast would the opponent have to be at the net to hit the shuttle close enough to the net to make the obstruction call even possible? I really don't know, but keeping in mind that both feet have to stand on the ground during the serve and the shuttle only travels slightly more than one meter (server's arms extended), I have my doubts that it's possible.

8. Ballschubser

I think, if this is the case, then the serve is the issue. This is only possible with absolute anticipation and commitment.

When you try to block it, then you try to fix the sympton instead of fixing the reason.

I was once in the situation of exactly this, when one of the opponent served, I rushed forward and pushed it fast to the corners. Why ?
    1. No flick, not a single one, I was able to commit to a rush without fearing a single flick or high serve.
    2. Too high, it was about 10-15 cm above the net, too easy to push it into the corners.

If the opponent would have tried to block, I would have tried to play a netshot to the sides. Just a single flick, even a bad one, would let me be more cautiously and not commiting to rush 100% all the time.

GingerCorslette likes this.