Mixed doubles - returning the serve as a guy

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Evanplaysbadminton, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Evanplaysbadminton

Evanplaysbadminton Regular Member

Hello,

As suggested by the moderator, I'm dividing my previous thread.

Should I return differently than level doubles ? Some players told me I shouldn't cross the serve line when I return.
    I've already been told to aim for the sides lines in mid court, or aim between or at the players.
    It's not easy if I try not to cross the serve line. Besides, I don't stand exactly behind the serve line, maybe two steps behind because I'm afraid to get a flick and I'm bad at moving back fast even if I trained.
    I also do some drives in a deep corner but some players seem to disagree with this technique ? I don't see why because it seems effective at my level.

Also, should I move backwards immediately after I returned the serve ?
    Some say I should move backwards immediately to be in attacking position, but when I watch some top players, they don't move backwards immediately, they move a little bit back but not necessarily behind the woman.

Thanks.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

You can have many option for returning services. Like front corner, mid corner, or back corner. Or you could aim at opponent body.

The trick is still the same, dont do obvious shot every times but do some variation & makes the opponent guest.

Returning low, before the service line is good to force the opponent to do a lift, your team immedietly in attacking possition, & initiate bombardment early. But if your partner is not capable to initiate the bombardment, then why would you force them to lift? So again, back to the basic for doing variation rather than obvious shot.

buibui2 and ralphz like this.
  3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I can't really advise on mixed doubles.. but budi's post seems very good to me..

I see you said you struggle getting flick serves.. Flick serves are meant to be generally quite easy to get.. hence the general advise given is that they are meant to only be done on occasion.. .If you struggle to get flick serves and so have to stand very very far back. like two steps back you say.. Then that indicates to me there are big weaknesses in your footwork...

Playing at the rear court requires good footwork.. otherwise you are going to struggle..

I see that in your thread about attacking from the rear court, you mention about struggling to get shots and what to do when struggling..

I've no doubt you have big footwork problems at the back or going back - I do too.. (though I can usually get flicks as i've practised them right. and am continuing to practise them.).

I'd say, getting that footwork better is important.. The going back, and the being at the back.

Particularly footwork moving back or any moving around at the back.

A half court singles game can show up bad footwork too.

When you are at the back, what's your footwork for if they try to push you from side to side.. You have to consider that, it's really important especially since you suggest you struggle at the back!!

Evanplaysbadminton likes this.
  4. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Mixed returns are mostly drives and mid-court pushes. It's very rare for the guy to hit a net shot serve return since the female will rush the net anyways.

ralphz likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It’s very rare for the guy to hit a netshot return because the opponent will simply lift it over his head to the back of the court. And then the closest person there is the partner.

It’s not that much of a problem if his partner has a stronger backcourt game than he has. If the partner has a weaker backcourt game, then the partner might not be able to control the rally when he is stuck at the net.

ucantseeme and speCulatius like this.
  6. Evanplaysbadminton

Evanplaysbadminton Regular Member

The way I was taught is that I should move immediately to the backcourt after I return the opponent serve, net shot or not. And my female partner should stand besides me on the T while we wait for the opponent serve, she has to be ready to take the net after my serve return.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Basically, it would be rare for the man to make a netshot return of serve due to tactical disadvantage.

ucantseeme likes this.
  8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I agree. As long as you can't play consistent a net shot tumbling and dancing on the tape with immediately fall down which makes anything for the opponent impossible you will break your own neck.

I mostly play low energy falling pushs between front player and back court player. Allow me more time to be prepared for the lift. Sometimes some females are biased to one side of the court. If they are more committed a deceptive return to the net is possible, but at higher level you don't get away with that often and you will bring yourself into an disadvantage.

IMO it is important to have a female which is quite trustworthy in the rear. If you don't have that the option which you choose are always related to her. Also important to have personally solutions to change positions. Since it is a common tactic to pull the man to the net and push the female in the rear, you work together with your partner to be familiar and confident in this situations. If your female at the back don't mean you have loose the rally easy, you can play more creative and have more options. If this is not the case, you should prevent to make yourself the net player or getting pressure in the rear when you need to go from the front corner into the opposite rear corner on a flat and punched deep lift.

#8 ucantseeme, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Evanplaysbadminton likes this.