Can’t seem to generate enough power for smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by brokenchronos, Mar 14, 2020.

1. brokenchronos

brokenchronos New Member

Hi,

so I’ve been playing badminton for around 6 months now and I’ve been trying to learn the smash to up my game however I seem to be unable to generate enough power for a smash compared to my seniors in badminton club. I feel like im doing the right motion but there’s still no power. Is the smash all about technique and doesn’t matter the racket you can still smash as well compared to higher end rackets?

The racket I’m using is a senston n80 a cheap beginner racket

2. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Yes and no. Technique is king but a bad racket and its strings are only as capable as they can be. Borrow a different racket to see if it is you or the racket that needs to be looked at.

3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You feel like you are doing the right motion? Somebody else might feel like you are not. So maybe come up with a more factual approach?

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Would you be able to smash on warming up stroke exchange? Coz u know on actual games, opponent will never give you easy bird to smash on purpose. Rarely you had situation where you are at good smashing position.

If not, maybe you could ask friend to record a video of you smashing for us to see.

Anyway you might want to train shadow smash at home (that if you already have the correct movement). Do a smashing movement without racket including your footwork pattern for smashing. Do it daily routine for 50 times. If you are get used to it already, add another 50 & so on. For adding some weight you can use any unused plastic bottle & fill it with sand or something to add the weight.

Simeon likes this.
  5. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Check these with yourself, request ur friend to feed the shuttle and do a smash!! If u feel that ur smash is reasonably good and if your feeding opponent also feels the same. Then during the game it’s your footwork and position at fault!!!

This happens to 80 to 90% of the badminton players. Often in doubles u cant get to the shuttle or behind the shuttle due to fastness of the game! So to solve this situation u need to change the game plan and anticipate for the right bird.

U cant generate enough power when ur out of position!! If ur in position and still unable to generate enough power it’s basically the technique.

if u have good technique and at the right position behind the shuttle still no power it’s then racket/strings are to be fault!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

A better approach is to record yourself , without seeing your smash then it makes it very difficult to provide meaningful help

7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You'd be addressing him, it's his thread.

8. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Well you can ask one of your seniors to smash with your racket and easily see if it's your technique or the racket that's the problem.

DarkHiatus and ralphz like this.
  9. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Without seeing a video....I'm still willing to bet it's a technique issue.

Plenty of good instructions on YouTube, Badminton Famly springs to mind.

Also, it's possible that after only 6 months your expectations are too high.

ralphz likes this.
  10. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Don't slow down the movement In order not to miss hit. Use your abnominals as well.
    When you slow swing your racket above your head without the shuttle, you can see where the contact point is during the movement.
    But in real speed smash the racket head does not reach the shuttle at the same point of movement. The racket head may be lacking 20 centimetres because of the bending. That's why you should hit through the contact point, not feeling any brakes. After that you will find your racket at your waist level pointing downwards.

11. brokenchronos

brokenchronos New Member

Hi,
    i have a video of me practicing my smashes but just through throwing them up the air due the courts being closed.

I don't get why they're so flat

12. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Isolation makes for tricky video recording! ;-)

Still hard to see, as we can't see you, only the shuttle and a glimpse of racquet head.

Flat can only really be the angle of the racquet face at impact and, unless you have a weird swing, that's affected by where you 'take' the shuttle e.g. too low or too far behind you etc.

13. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Carefull.... There is a lamp up above you.

Actually you dont need an actual racket & shuttle to train smash. Just do movement as if you are smashing include arm, body & foot movement. This to makes your body memorize the pattern.
    Or just sit down (you dont want hit anything up in the ceiling) & do full swing repeatly using a weight object. Can be racket with head cover on it or any heavy object like empty bottle filled with sand.

Anyway, its flat shot coz the shuttle ball is facing down which is not good angle fpr smash. Cant see clearly but as you just throw it up & hit, can be coz of it.

14. RichF

RichF Regular Member

You could forget the racquet and just throw the shuttle since an overhead forehand is essentially a throwing action.

(I know, it's not exciting without a racquet!)

15. brokenchronos

brokenchronos New Member

Do you think theres a decent amount of power in my smash judging by it's sound and speed? Or it's something i need to work on or it cant be judged due to it mainly depending on the strings?

My racket is a ASTROX 7 BG 65 TI 24 lb

16. RichF

RichF Regular Member

It mainly depends on technique, not strings nor racquet :)

It's too hard to tell from that video, the sound is echoing in the corridor, we have no visual frame of reference since it's not a court etc.

Also, power is a relative thing, depends on how old you are, your level etc.

Once this current situation has (we hope!) calmed down then maybe you could make a proper video on court.

No matter what though, there's always room for improvement :-D

17. brokenchronos

brokenchronos New Member

Ah, thanks a lot. When practicing against i realised that when i give myself some distance away from the shuttle the shots are more steeper, could it be mainly footwork and how behind you can get from the shuttle to give it a steeper angle contact point?

18. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Swing the racquet slowly (without a shuttle) and watch the racquet face - when is it angled steeply? e.g. above your head or behind you or in front of you etc. ;-)

19. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Just to add, panhandle grip can contribute to flat smashes so check you're not doing that!

20. brokenchronos

brokenchronos New Member

When it's right in front of me starting to go down to head level? So would good footwork to get behind the shuttle and "taking" the shuttle at the highest point give me the advantage of a nice steep smash?