Altitude training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Magwitch, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Altitude training is quite common in sports due to performance enhancing benefits. Do elite badminton players do it? I haven't heard anything.

2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Define "quite common"...

One problem of altitude training is that the intensity of the training will suffer. Badminton is a sport with extremely high intensities and very short intervals. The benefit from altitude training is also temporary.

For badminton, you need technique, explosiveness and its endurance, stability, mobility, coordination, ... altitude training can even have negative effects on some of these due to the lower intensity and the body reacting by degrading to compensate for the lack of oxygen.

While there might be some positive effects as well, even for (aerobic) endurance disciplines, they seem to be overrated.

3. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

My bad. I didn't actually mean do any badminton training at altitude. Altitude training usually involves living high, but doing training at low altitude. It can also involve simulated environments. Mo Farah, winner of the 5000m/10,000m men's double at the last two Olympics, always sleeps in an altitude tent when he isn't at altitude.

4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

That's one way to do it, trying to reduce the negative effects. That's the only way I can see it having any positive effect for badminton players. Since your body is working/regenerating/building during sleep, I wouldn't be surprised if there still were negative effects, though, but I don't know any studies on that.

So... what exactly do these disciplines have in common with badminton?

Altitude training is common in some sports, all of them are focused on endurance, not explosiveness and short intervals.

Where do you want to do with your question? Do you have any data that suggests it's beneficial for badminton?

5. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Actually I did come across this article about the Malaysian team doing altitude training, and training at altitude
    https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ot...to-undergo-highaltitude-training-at-highlands

I can only find one study looking at altitude training for sports involving short intervals, and the study had some limitations. That said, whether badminton is focused on endurance, endurance is a major component of it
    https://shuttlesmash.com/endurance-...badminton is the,to the body more efficiently.

6. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I always thought heat training was better for badminton players than altitude. So many major competitions are held in very hot and humid countries that if you are used to a cold place, you can just fall apart when you end up in a hot/humid country.