Backhand Lift under extreme pressure (way below net)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

9:22 to 9:24 , Goh V Shem does backhand clear/lift under extreme pressure. What is the correct technique for that? I know the proper way for a normal backhand clear, as taught in singles training, but whenever I do this one, the power is too less.

I can of course use brute force to increase length of clear but that gives me shoulder pain almost every time (i have a slightly limited range of motion there)

2. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Do you have a video of you doing the backhand?
    You have to be as relax as possible to be able to whip out the power

3. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

The correct technique is what gvs did. It's not like he has power either, (his shot reached half court) so not sure what you're worried about.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Why are you asking about backhand lift and backhand clear in the same thread. They are completely different shots

Lift is low to high

Clear is high go high.

Also many people train for years and never manage a good backhand clear! How many players on most clubs have a good backhand clear? Single digit percentage? Or maybe even less than one percent!

#4 ralphz, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

Grip tightening will get you that power

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  6. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Before you hit you load your arm to the left. After that you will have a short feeling that you are not doing anything with your arm. Then you feel your right foot planting, and then you swing and hit. You will feel the chain of movements. Lastly your thumb.

7. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

calling the shot a lift or clear is kinda confusing. it is closer to, what's called in the old days, a danish swipe - not sure if the term is still used. it was a shot taken around waist height on the backhand side to clear the bird to the back, used primarily by those who could not play high back hand clears or in this case, very late backhand. it is a desperation shot, why draw particular attention to it.

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Out of interest, if you were in the situation that player was in, would you do the shot the way he did? Or the more modern way?

You say that what he did is closer to the "danish swipe", so what would you say is the difference between the shot the guy in that game did, and the "danish swipe"?

The subject of the Danish Wipe(that's the proper name!), comes up from time to time, you can't wipe the historical record completely! Even if you say , as people do, that it's not done anymore, and that one should use supination instead. There's no harm in knowing of it as well as knowing better ways to hit it other than the Danish Wipe.

And if a top level player does do it, that's very interesting. I had thought maybe the Danish Wipe was more shoulder level, though you're suggesting more waist level.. Could be.. I have heard of it being an old shot so it's interesting that you think that player did that.

9. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

not responding to questions about things i didnt say. the rest i am sure you can look up.

10. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I see, so maybe you weren't claiming that the player in the video was doing a danish wipe or anything close to a danish wipe. Either way

The OP seemed to show a video clip of the shot he is referring to. So I don't see why you are even bringing up about the Danish Wipe.

And re you asking me to look things up(presumably look up the shot). If you are going to ask somebody to look up the shot, then you should look it up far enough to at least get the name of it correct!

And yes the Danish Wipe(not swipe!) is an old shot that pretty much any coaches i've spoken to say is not done anymore. I don't know why you brought it up at all.

#10 ralphz, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  11. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

i remember the name wrong, no need for testiness. grow up.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

I've been caught in this exact same situation before. What GVS did is purely a desperation lift to half court which would be killed instantly. Another shot I'd suggest (which I had done before) that is less defensive and may catch your opponents off guard is a whipped drive shot cross court just above the tape, assuming the opponents are lined up anticipating your straight return and none of them are lefties, this would at least allow you to increase your chances of winning the rally.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#12 visor, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Abdullah Ahmad AAK likes this.