which shots would you use a panhandle grip for?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ralphz, Dec 7, 2020.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I am just making this thread because the subject recently came up in another thread..

I noticed a contributor to the forum thought that you don't use it for net shots, but I don't think that's correct, as i've seen it used for net shots.

Which led me to consider when they are used?

We know it's used for some drives. and for some net kills.

Also,

-backhand pull shot,

-some net shots

And, I'm not sure about this one but how about if it's very wide on the forehand side about waist level, and too wide to use forearm rotation then maybe panhandle could be used there?

Note- not sure if a RTH shot is counted as a forehand.shot? perhaps it could be said that a RTH can be done with panhandle?

#1 ralphz, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

I use it when I don't have much time to react in front court for net kills, net shots, drives. Yes forehand pronation yada yada but using the pan handle grip is inevitable when playing a fast doubles game.

3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You mention "net kills, net shots, drives". . I already mentioned those. .

You're misunderstanding what people would have said to you or you read, regarding forearm pronation, Everybody would say panhandle technique is fine for scenarios that you just mentioned. The point people are making about panhandle, that you describe as "yada yada", is regarding not using it for a forehand overhead. Nobody has told you or would tell you to not use panhandle for forehand net kills.