Wrist part of swing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Jan 6, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

I can hold racket in pic 1 style. I can also swing it till it looks like what it is in pic 2, i.e. the forearm and the racket both are in 1 direction. However it feels very weird for the wrist...the movement also doesn't feel powerful enough. As if the wrist is restricting racket from being swung to its max capacity.

My 2nd concern is that I feel I can't swing racket and get it to look like what it is in pic 3.

P.S. my comfortable way of swinging is pure forearm rotation, with racket nor parallel nor perpendicular to forearm. But that's giving very flat smashes over the months as can't seem to press smashes downwards.

Could someone make a video of only the wrist part of smash swing or link me to 1 in which its clearly shown?

Attached Files:

2. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

Take a look at this video from 3:04 :

If your smash is flat, then fix your contact point, the technique itself does not change.

Cheung likes this.
  3. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

Are you able to perform punch clear or backhand clear yet ? Could you be able to perform “swing”(like throwing) motion naturally yet? If you could swing naturally ,you could add finger motion into play. Wrist part of a swing is a part where you transfer energy from forearm to finger. Try to suddenly tighten up the grip with your finger. At the same time, you will see your forearm and your wrist will slightly move naturally. Dont bother about the wrist. It is natural reaction from tighten up your finger. Focus more on your swing then to add power use finger (the harder you grip the racket at impact point the more power you generate and add into shot) without correct grip technique you wont be able to perform this action as well because of the mechanic thats why v shape gripping technique is important.

visor likes this.
  4. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Usually, it's not about whether you use your wrist/pronate but more about the timing or the sequence of things. It should be: hip (body turn), then elbow (shoulder turn), arm unfolded and most importantly at the very last, pronation (wrist).

I saw the video of your smashing in the other thread, because you were trying too hard on the arm swing, often your pronation was too late, only half way or after birdie was hit. Also, your body turn was too too early so core power was lost. What you need to do is stop your arm swing at the highest point and let your pronation/wrist do its job. It's literally like throwing your racket away. Watch the video below very carefully, especially the 3rd section at 3:52.

Abdullah Ahmad AAK likes this.
  5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

How do you even know what the swing of the guy with the yellow shirt looks like with just screenshots, without seeing his swing in video, otherwise you're making assumptions and then saying oh it doesn't feel right to you when you try to replicate it. It may well be some incorrect assumption that makes the difference. But we can't see your swing or his swing and your anatomical terms are (knowingly or unknowingly), dodgy.

Also your title about "wrist" is problematic.. you've been on the forum long enough to know why your title is so problematic. You know that, right?

As for videos, there are smash compilation videos with slow mo that you can even also set to slow mo.. (though I don't know if maybe some might say it's better to look at regional level players swings than pro players).

#5 ralphz, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Abdullah Ahmad AAK likes this.
  6. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    We are in pronation again.
    We should add pic0 before the pic1.
    Pic0 shows you are leading with elbow and your pinky finger.
    You are able to avoid the position in pic2, but that means you are avoiding hitting high, right.
    When pronating you go through pic 0-1-2-3 and your racket will be facing to the right. If doesn't , then you need to relearn pronation. Of course you may follow up your pronation so that your racket will go down left facing backwards.
    In pic2 you don't hurt you wrist, if you are swinging. But if you are learning some kind of pushing motion you may l hurt your wrist and shoulder

7. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

I did try this technique though long ago and recently. Even in swinging without shuttle at home I can feel my shoulder being utilized too much.

I have a history of impingement due to playing wildly without technique + brutishly for 2 years of my life. Nowadays some weeks it dies down some days it just pops up again. Is my shoulder too damaged to adopt this technique, seeing I get slight pain even swinging without shuttle ?

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Try using less shoulder but more emphasis on the forearm and finger technique.

If you can hold your arm up, you can still practice the forearm and finger part of the swing with the racquet. It will be a smaller swing but still good for practice. Then, when your shoulder gets better, introduce small range movement of the shoulder with the swing.

That video posted by @Ffly at 3.04 onwards is very good. Concentrate on the part just before striking the shuttle.

9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Watching the Coach Won video, At 1:07-1:29 he mentions two grips, that he calls Eastern and Western.

The Eastern one is definitely what is known as the V grip. Standard forehand overhead grip.

Is the grip he is doing that he calls Western Grip,, a panhandle grip? (it does look to me like the kind of thing people would call a panhandle grip)

I've no doubt he's using the "Eastern grip" for the shot, in the rest of the video