Reading the game

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AldrichAxelson, Mar 2, 2022.

1. AldrichAxelson

AldrichAxelson Regular Member

Is there an easy way to understand about "reading the game"?

Is it=

1. Reading the opponents position
    2. Opponents stamina
    3. Their weak point
    4. Their tempo --> disrupting it
    5. When to use Aggressive play --> fast end or Defensive play
    6. Is there strategy according to the current points, ex. 19-16 (end game) vs 12-6 (halftime)

Would really like to hear some thoughts, the more detail the better

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

For me
    1. Reading opponent skill by trying/testing the opponent. Every player always had their bad shot but ofcourse the better the player the less their bad shot & an even better had their bad not so bad.
    2. Reading opponent position. Knowing their skill you can read what kind of shot option they had & predict what kind of shot they might do. Ofcourse the more skilled opponent had much wider option which makes it harder to predict.
    3. Look at the pattern. People always had tendency to do some kind of pattern build from their habbit. See how the Endo/Yuta become cryptonite to minions. Kevin had tendency to suddenly move forward to intercept any flat shot but leaving his area open.
    4. Well after you read your opponent, consider reading your partner (if you play double). What shot you might do that are easier for your partner & what musnt do as its basically kill your own partner. For example if your partner getting out of position, its really bad to do flat fast shot. As opponent might be able to return it instantly & both you & your partner dont have enough time to recover.
    5. Read when to play fast & when to play slow. Get control of the games but not let yourself get carried away by opponent games. Use more brain above brawl. Play smart, not play hard.

But to be able to read you need good footwork & hitting skill beforhand. If you are to focused on your racket or always late to get the shuttle, you wont have time to think or read anything. After that, its a matter of your observation skill.

3. AldrichAxelson

Just go done with a match of level doubles. My opponent was a middle age man and a ex club player who was trained old school ( Singles for all). He had great foot work and tight net plays, when my partner dropshots, he always anticipates and increased the tempo exponentially, even if he takes the drop shot late, his cross net shot was too tight. Ended up losing 21-15 & 21-13. I would also like to have an increased stamina and footwork but still have to lose 15 kg.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

If this is a two on one,(or two on two), and your partner did a straight drop shot(not a cross court drop shot), and your opponent repies to your partner's drop shot late doing a cross court net shot and wins the point then that's totally your fault. You are supposed to be covering the front. (However overweight you think you are). And it is possible for the player at the front to intercept a cross court net shot.

Maybe you are not good at the front.

If you had said that when your partner does a drop then the opponents can attack it, then likely a bunch of standard things went wrong with your partner at the back. .

It's also possible he has extremely good deception skills on his net shots. and you moved too soon, and the wrong way, but you should learn how to deal with that

#4 ralphz, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  5. AldrichAxelson

Yeah, i remember that when my partnet did a straight drop, i was in the middle, i guess i have to look at strategies being the front player, how to pressure opponents etc. I saw that my opponent had faster single footwork so i asked my partner to do clears instead to get the opponent farther first, he also doesnt have a strong smash so its returnable even if hes fast. We usually play at a slow tempo hehe, and then when someone has a fast tempo it takes time to get some getting uses to.

How to not be tricked by deceptions haha, noted

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Are these new opponents?

7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

wake up early & go for running (not sprint just easy running) everyday. That would help to improve your stamina.

Im not a light weight either but many times i had to carry weakest player & need to cover 60-70% of the court myself. Ofcourse on hard games my foot would feel so much sore next day but well that what you expect from heavy truck that forced to move like Ferari:p.
    Few little mistake many does (including myself)
    1. Mentality. Mostly we just had weak mental. Its out of reach, its to late, its to far & unconciously tell your foot to stop moving. Makes a strong mindset.
    2. Standby pose. When the partner take the shot, many just stand still putting your foot on a sleep mode & when suddenly its your turn to move, you just lagging. Never let your foot stay idle. Do micro step sideway or front to back. Be a bounceman & bounce yourself all the time & keep your foot active.
    3. Wear proper shoes. Badminton are a very demanding sport. You accelerate fast, change direction suddenly, doing side jump, or high jump. You dont want yourself get injury & hang your racket forever.

8. AldrichAxelson

Yes, new opponents

9. AldrichAxelson

1. Mentality : i always go into a game with the mind set of if i cant get the point, ill at least make it hard for my opponent, be it long rallies, or reaching every shot if possible

2. Standby pose, Bouncy man= i think this is my problem as i usually wait for that flat cross return from a straight smash.

3. Shoes

4. I still have a problem with
    A. getting aced with a flick serve, for drive serves not so much
    B. Hits to the right hand or left hand corner when im the back court player

10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

if you could afford getting a coach just for a month or 2, that would help you leap up your games further. Badminton had so many techinical stuff that is hard to address just from your description. Me or the others at best can just share our experience & hope it could be helpfull to others.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Experience against different opponents is important against when playing against new players.

Experience helps you quickly work out the strengths and weaknesses of the opponents and how fast they can read your game.

For example, you lift the shuttle to the opponent and he smashes a winner. Next shot , in a similar situation, you lift but make it higher, he smashes again but it does not seem so accurate. Third lift, you lift again but you make him move more first to get to position and he dropshot or clears.

Another example, let’s say I play against you. I already noted that you have slow movement and overweight. If I play a shot that’s a bit faster and stretches you cross court, I will anticipate a dropshot or clear. After two similar rallies, I will have worked out your favourite reply. Then I will anticipate your shot much better. If you happened to be 15 kg lighter with more explosive movement, you might be able to play smash drop or clear from that situation - my anticipation will not be good as I need to prepare for three types of shots.

Flick serve analysis: the opponent has noted your relative lack of speed. That’s why they want to move you quickly. Ideally, if you can start to train your body to react (mind, body, muscle strength and muscle speed) faster, you will find you will get fewer flick serves . This, of course, will take time. The quick solution is to step back a bit when receiving serve.

12. AldrichAxelson

Mmm i'll integrate a couple of drills before my games in an empty court next time. And ill be sure to ask my partner to be mostly on the back so i can concentrate on being a front court player.

13. AldrichAxelson

Right on, new players are a blast of fresh air. Ill train the mind-foot reaction time.