India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Unnati Hooda/Palak Arora have registered for the Korea Open Super 500 in WD. I would call this poor planning by her team. She is too young to try Super 500 tournaments. Unnati should see if she can win Junior GP conistently at the international level. Following that International Series, International Challenge, Super 100 and Super 300 tournaments. She has just won 1 Super 100 in India. Guidance is important at this age to avoid injury and a proper path to the top.

https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=1B81B1D2-2354-444E-B6B4-67A38CFB1385&draw=2

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That is quite amazing they have got into the main draw.

I suspect they were entered without any expectation of getting into the main draw. It's pretty common to send entries that end up being 40 places down the reserve list.

3. GoodmintonLover

GoodmintonLover Regular Member

OMG! This is so sad. I can never think of Gopichand the same way now

4. GoodmintonLover

Also, shouldn't she focus on singles? She is young and if she focuses on two events, wouldn't it be too energy draining for her?

5. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Definitely at the senior level Unnati will need to focus on 1 event. She is exploring both a she is not sure which she will choose or to improve stamina and get more skills for 1 event.

6. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Yeah. Interesting to see her try doubles in korea. Korea is famous for doubles. Mind behind her actions is very intelligent to make her start her doubles debut in Kprea to check where she stands. Brilliant

badmuse likes this.
  7. Baddyforall

BAI to Conduct Selection Trials for Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, Thomas and Uber Cup

The Badminton Association of India (BAI) will conduct selection trials for the upcoming Thomas and Uber Cup, Commonwealth Games and Asian Games at the Indira Gandhi Stadium here, from April 15 to 20.

The selection trials will see participation of players ranked between 16 to 50 in the latest BWF world rankings, released on March 29.

“Players, who are ranked in the top-16 in singles and top-8 in doubles in the national rankings, based on the domestic performances in the senior ranking tournaments played in Chennai and Hyderabad, and the core group players selected by the BAI selection committee/Sports Authority of India (SAI) in 2019 will also be included for the selection trials," the BAI said in a statement on Saturday.

Players with notable performances at the international circuit in the last three months will be selected directly alongside those ranked in the top-15 in the world while the vacant spots will be filled based on the performances of the selection trials as they will be eligible for BAI/SAI assistance for training and competition.

While the Commonwealth Games squad will consist of 10 members with equal number of men and women, the Asian Games and Thomas & Uber Cup contingents will have 20 members each, including 10 men and 10 women.

Apart from senior selection trials, BAI will also conduct trials for the junior players, who will be chosen for the selection trials based on the performances of the upcoming U-19 ranking tournament to be held in Bangalore.

“With dates of Korean Masters clashing with selection trials, BAI will withdraw entries of its players from the Super 300 tournament and settle the withdrawal fine so that shuttlers can participate in the trials," the federation said.

https://www.news18.com/news/sports/...-asian-games-thomas-and-uber-cup-4936292.html

8. Baddyforall

kashyap, Sameer, Sai Praneeth, H.S.Prannoy and Sourabh . These players will be withdrawn from Korea Open.

Players with notable performances at the international circuit in the last three months will be selected directly alongside those ranked in the top-15 : No Clear indication how they will access the players. But i guess, Kiran George , who is currently 66 in the Ranking will be selected as he won 2 super 100 tournaments.

9. GoodmintonLover

Mithun Manjunath makes it to finals of Orlean Masters. Unexpected!

10. Baddyforall

Indeed it is unexpected. Indian MS players are performing really well this year. They have reached another Final , this time it is Mithun Manjunath.

11. mohans

mohans Regular Member

I feel conducting selection trials is the right thing to do in order to keep the non-performing senior players under check. But I’m worried HSP’s position is still a little precarious. Hopefully he gets covered under the notable-performances-in-the-last-3-months clause. Moreover I will be happy if the celebrity couple goes through this grind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. mohans

mohans Regular Member

I like how Kiran and Mithun are shaping up this year. This is good for IND MS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Baddyforall

Even I thought that too. Prannoy reached Swiss open final this year. That's a very good run . He even defeated Olumpics champion this year. Only 4 people defeated him after olympics

14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Prannoy is unlucky since BWF hasn't unfrozen the ranking or he would have been in the top BWF 15 ranking list. The selection trials are good as everyone will be pressed to do their best. No player can take their place for granted.

15. Baddyforall

I think he will be exempted from playing the selection trials. He has done a great job in this year not many did that in the Ranking gap 15 to 50.

mohans and badmuse like this.
  16. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    -

#4616 Sundis, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    Sumanth99 likes this.
  17. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Smartness is not in dictionary of BAI management :(. Let's see

rajat_remar likes this.
  18. GoodmintonLover

I hope all players are well on the selection day. Last year Lakshya was ill and as a result he was not selected.
    This trials is not only for Thomas and Uber Cup, but for Asian Games and Commonwealth Games as well (and perhaps also for training).

19. Baddyforall

Definitely some positive signs in MS after Lakshya Sen's improvement late last year. Until now, our MS players reached all the finals except Syed modi this year. Really marvellous. Even i am seeing a slight shift in WD players' mentality.
    Other categories look the same except for few successes here and there

20. GoodmintonLover

We had a pretty decent success in WS too with Anupama, Tasnim and Aditi winning titles.