Need help to become Badminton Monster

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pavlito79, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    When you look closely those Momota frames you notice how his front leg is bending from the knee. The same happens often when you watch late backhand hits. When I was young I thought my backhand should start by pushing from the floor. The kinetic chain from down to up. But it didn't work well except when backhand junp smashing. So I was wondering why the good players with strong muscles often kneel down flat footed so much before hitting the shuttle, backhand. That way you achieve a good support without really pushing from the floor. Please note, that the arm movement should start before you go flat footed. The racket head has a long way to go before it meets the shuttle.

Pavlito79 and BadmintonDave like this.
  2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Rolling the ankle is a subject in itself.. It could occur in a number of situations. There should really be a chapter in coaching manuals just on that subject. What the causes are (I think it relates to chasses gone wrong). How to fall safely and preventing any harm to ankle. And if the ankle does roll and get sore, to take some time sitting out and not walk on it straight after when it's stiff. Tennis player Boris Becker recommends playing tennis with an ankle brace.

Yeah on backhand overheads I used to land and then swing and was coached to adjust that, swinging while the foot comes out. Hence one reason why I chose my words carefully re contact after the foot lands. (which is not to say start the swing/racket action then!). Indeed for a backhand overhead, the swing is taking place at the same time as the racket leg is coming out.

Another reason for the crouching low , in the case of a backhand cross court net shot, at varying degrees below the net tape, and crouching lower when it's lower, is to get the eyes at the same line / similar level as the shuttle on contact. If one is head is a bit high above the racket then it's below their line of sight then it's harder to aim(whatever mathematical calculations the brain has to subconsciously do must be much harder when the racket is below the line of sight! / the data the brain has must be much better when the racket is at the same level as the eye! ). It'd be a similar principle if shooting a gun.

For backhand clear there have been many that have said that power comes from the floor, and i'm a bit skeptical of it, as you are.. Though it might be within the realm of possibility that some people can. Wtih the backhand overhead clear it's often considered the hardest shot in badminton and part of that is it's hard to get power and part of that is it's hard to time.. And on the backhand overhead the foot landing the moment before contact could help with timing. That's something badminton insight mentioned on a backhand clear video,about it helping with timing, and that helps with power. There might be some minor last minute customisation that can be done in terms of where exactly the foot lands. Rather than landing the foot and waiting. . And rather than hitting it before the foot lands). And a main reason for the minimal delay from landing of the foot to contact, is because that will work when there isn't much time.

If there's lots of time , and opponents aren't good, it is possible eg for a net shot, to stroll over casually, then put your racket out then wait for the shuttle to bounce off it for a good quality net shot. Though that's not a serious footwork.

In a (serious) footwork that I practised, / was coached on, was getting fed shuttles for net shots or net kills but that required different timing, and so rather than just having one speed, and sometimes being too early. The thing to do was, perhaps starting at the same speed, but slowing down the footwork where necessary. and that helped loads also with the timing. And that might also help prevent other possible errors like not getting too close. I also practised moving out at various angles. When shadowing people tend to do it or think of it as one or two ways for each corner but there's the .consdieration that the shuttle could be in various spots even in one corner, and adjustments in the footwork re that. It's possible to hit it with the racket in the right spot but the foot or feet not in the right spot. It's a funny old game. A lot of what should be where. And when!

visor, Pavlito79 and Simeon like this.
  3. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Can someone recommend any other shots what I could practice in close space in my garage ? Keep focusing on net shots and tried cross court and also hairpin but still plenty to learn

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Net kills !??

Pavlito79 likes this.
  5. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Sure you should practice turning the net drop to a drive, or what ever the name. Hit the shuttle flat to the back court. Or to the opposite wall at your carage. Even when the contact is under the net height. Also practice to work with vertical racket hitting with the handle going first.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

The low serve is probably the best shot for you to practice in this setting. Set your net height at 5 ft, and mark 6.5 ft on the ground on both sides of the net.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Pavlito79, viver and Mason like this.
  7. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thank you for all suggestions, I will slowly implement some of them in my daily routines

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Normal terms are Net Shot . And Drop which is from the back.

Using the word "drop" in a phrase for a net shot has no advantage and is unnecessarily confusing. (And moreso in a game)!

There are funny terms out there like calling a lift a clear(on the basis that it's an "underhand clear" - another funny term), and calling a lift a lob, calling a smash a slam, besides the one you mention there "net drop" for a net shot!! or worse some simply call a net shot a drop!

#208 ralphz, Apr 15, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  9. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Interesting. Now we have also verb for the word. I place the pupil at the net. I tell her to net drop the shuttles she is being feeding at. Should I instead tell her to net shot the shuttle?

10. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

That net shot statement or any statement saying net shot rather than net drop is much better

You could tell her to Do a Net Shot!

I wouldn't personally say "the shuttle", 'cos it's superfluous, she's not going to pull out a Rolex and try to net shot that!

Or if a verb is important, then you could tell her To Net Shot it!

You can say somebody cleared it(if they did a clear), so, while it'd be uncommon to say, one could say they net shotted it, if they did a net shot!

if for present tense, they're "doing net shots", or a phrase that would be very unusual, "they're net shotting"!

#210 ralphz, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  11. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Hi have been a while since last update . Can I have some feedback please if I progress or not much change .

12. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Your garage setup is good..

In the garage you've done some tight net shots there, and some ones that are too high.

When it comes to feeds, sometimes variation is beneficial and sometimes not.

At the moment you'd benefit from a set of feeds that were the same.

I think maybe that machine is sending some shuttles a bit further from the net and some nearer.

What you could do that would help improve your forehand net shots, is if you have a coaching session and a coach hand feeds shuttles

One thing that a coach tends to do is they'll say "stand here", and they'll measure their feed according to where you are standing.. and let's say you do a very good set there, then they could feed slightly differently eg to a different spot or a bit further from the let. And let's say you do that well, then they might vary them.

And then you could see how insights gained there apply to your performance in the garage.

It will not cost a fortune to have some sessions with a coach focussing on net shots..

Also, sometimes the right shot is a net kill rather than a net shot.. and to understand "the net" .. playing at the net.. even understanding when to do a net shot.. you have to know when in a game one would kill it. I'm not necessarily suggesting you do net kills yet,, but just mentioning them! And I think that'd be quite enjoyable for you to practise in the garage too at some point.

Also another thing to look at, is how are your net shots in games.

Also, look at 9:50

Net SHOT vs PERFECT Badminton Net Shot - Top 20

Chen Long , the guy in the red, does a net shot from quite far from the net, (in the axis of the floor), i.e. past the net. And tight. And notice his racket action, he isn't tapping it up. And it's a tight net shot even tumbles over. LCW still amazing and gets it back. LCW has to wait for the shuttle to stop tumbling so takes it low with a hairpin net shot. But Chen Long's shot would be a winner against most people! Ifi when you get a feed further from the net you deal with it like Chen Long then that's perfect.

I did once ask a coach about net shots from a certain distance from the net, between net and service line.. and they said they wouldn't attempt one from there.. (maybe they'd do a flat lift, or some other shot but not a tight net shot), 'cos it's too hard to do.. I'm not saying to take that view as gospel.. I think Chen Long shows how it's doable. But no doubt if it's further from the net then it's harder. You could practise them from there and be a net shot badminton monster! I haven't played for a few years due to an injury and hardly train at the moment but not a bad idea to try net shots from a further distance. But master close ones first, and as mentioned, having a coach hand feed will help with that.

#212 ralphz, Apr 29, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  13. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thanks Ralphz for big and really detail feedback. Yeah garage setup is good and I try practice some of the aspects of game in real confine space. But its like I say every little bit of practice is good and hopefully polish my badminton skills. Yes feed is not always stable with this model of Siboasi and is bit annoying sometimes as shuttle going higher or to deep in court. (its not happen really too much but its depend of condition of shuttle and some other things)
    With me I noticed like you said lack of consistency in performing tight shot every time. They go sometimes too high and in real game that would finish bad for me. I could setup to maybe go net backhand and forehand to mix a bit but I really have lots to learn and dont want to start to much at the same time. Also I dont want spend too much on one shot. I will try push machine a bit back to give those tight net shots and check if that will work. And question to you mean close net shots are mean distance from the net and serving line ?

14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

The term "close" is indeed a bit ambiguous because it could refer to the dimension that is perpendicular to the floor, or it could refer to the dimension that is parallel to the floor. Looking at the context of the line where I used the word "close", i'm referring to the dimension that is parallel with the floor, and i'm referring to the feed.

I have another idea, that is cheaper than 1hr with a coach.. 'cos you don't necessarily need 1hr..

Look for group trainings in your area. They can be £10 for 2hr. The coach will often spend some time with each person.. and sometimes they have an assistant that will spend some time with each person.

See how it goes with them feeding. See what they tell you.

They'll get round to net shots at some point especially if you tell them you're particularly interested in it.

And if you get on with some people there you could ask them to feed you for a or a few net shots , between an exercise. and give them a few if they want.

And you can even try playing net games with people.

One of the difficult things in badminton is that inconsistent feeds(at least when at the back of the court) are going to happen! 'cos lifting accurately is hard even for most coaches. So things are still doable even with dodgy feeds. (and one can make some decision e.g. leave it, or do a different shot, or go for it. And often a player learning isn't consciously aware of differences in feed at the time, because so much is unconscious). Sometimes a coach will do a bad feed and apologise, so then you know. And that can help so you know if it was you or if it was the feed. And sometimes you can get good at the bad feeds too. But I think maybe hand feeding net shots reasonably accurately, is easier for feeders than lifting reasonably accurately.

Even going to multiple group trainings is beneficial.. Especially if you don't have 1-1. (It can be that after some years of 1-1, group trainings become too basic but you're not there yet).

Being hand fed by a coach, and a bit of interaction with them, eg in 10min of a group training session, will help you get even better with the machine in the garage, and give you ideas.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  15. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

I will try to look but where can you look for groups and coaches like that in my area ? Any suggestions?

16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

a) put your postcode into meetup.com and search for badminton, there is loads of badminton in the UK. From group sessions for beginners, to intermediate games sessions and some more selective clubs.

b) there used to be a website called nostrings badminton that then got moved to a section of the badminton england website, called discover badminton, which besides being not as good as the old website, is currently down too https://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/return-to-play/rtp-support-resources/discover-badminton-tool/ But if somebody emails them to tell them it's broken then they might fix it.

c) And when you find clubs, if one has no coach there then you can ask the organiser if they know of places with a coach that does a group lesson. I know of one place in london (not near you), but that ha a coach there that they send players to at no charge while others play games, if they think they need it. And they would also suggest two other group training sessions that had coaches.. So my point is that sometimes organisers know.

You could email badminton england ask them what clubs there are near you.

And players at clubs will often play at different places, you can ask them where they play.

#216 ralphz, Apr 30, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
    Pavlito79 likes this.
  17. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thank you for your help

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    From your last video,

a) you’re using more of a backhand grip to play forehand netshot.

b) you haven’t yet recognised the different angles the shuttle comes to you and therefore not able to adjust. For example, when the shuttle is more to the left of the body, you are still trying to do an inside out or a straight netshot. Once you learn the outside inwards spinning netshot the shots coming to you directly or slightly left will become easier.

c) your foot landing to striking the shuttle timing has improved. However, sometimes after hitting, your right heel moves outwards. That indicates you have not got the consistency in landing your weight on the right foot or there is some lower limb weakness - maybe in the calves or muscles controlling the ankle joint.

BadmintonDave likes this.
  19. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

That's an interesting observation about his front foot heel moving out. I see it at 0:21

I am very skeptical of the idea that it's lower limb weakness... This footwork is a mild movement.

When training forehand high serve a long time back, I noticed there's a relationship between where the pelvis/hips are pointing, and where the toe points. And how much danger the knee is in, and the body wants to ensure that the knee doesn't twist too much.. (And it probably doesn't need to in any badminton movement - badminton players moving well should be gliding around with things in alignment). (If somebody were to turn the hip a lot while the back foot were planted, , a movement that the body wouldn't do naturally but somebody might under some unfortunate circumstances, then it wouldn't be good for the back knee.. And it's also possible to overturn the hip and be not good for the front knee.. ).

The issue might be more than he forced his foot to point in the right place when coming in and putting it down, but then it's not consistent with where his hip is pointing. So as soon as his foot came off the floor the heel came out putting the foot into a more comfortable position for the knee.

If so then maybe if he comes in towards the shuttle. Doesn't hit it. Lifts his foot off the floor, lets the heel come out. Then sees where his foot is pointed naturally, which is then aligned better with his hips. more naturally . Then, he can see where he should move his hips, to get his foot to point right. And then he'll see how to do the footwork to the shuttle with his feet and hips naturally in sync. That's one possibility..

Or he could do some experiments to figure out why his font heel came out sometimes

Another possibility, is it's a balance issue. Maybe things aren't right with the back foot. And he's a bit off balance. And his front heel came out as some kind of way to rebalance.

I remember when I was very early beginner in badminton, a coach in group coaching would say " it's not ballet".. He was saying that players are coming onto one foot when they do their shot. I don't know what that coach in group training saw.. How excessive he was talking..It's not something I ever looked into in depth. So I don't know a lot about that issue. But is there anything you don't like about his back foot? e.g. do you think it's possible that his heel of the front foot is coming out because of some balance issue maybe related to him coming off the back foot or if not then even having balance shifted too forward in some way. I know with some shots a player below regional, can have an extra unwanted stuttered movement. Some coaches say "strength", but i've found it's more to do with balance, or something like that or some fine detail.. Badminton needs endurance.. And not overtraining.

Sometimes things can be made to look right but it's the body compensating to fit what its meant to look like, and there's an underlying cause that can be fixed with an earlier tweek up earlier in the movement that'd actually do it properly!

I can't get further into the nuts and bolts of it because I haven't ever had that particular thing happen to me myself.

Also something I learnt a whole back is there's two ways of going in at the forehand side.. one is very sidways on, the other is not sideways on.. (On the backhand side iirc maybe it has to be sideways on, i'm not sure). The pelvis would be different in each case.

I haven't looked into each style that much.. But.. my main point is.. Likely that,

Either,

His front heel coming out is something to do with the relationship between where the pelvis is oriented, and in relation to where the foot is pointing. And an unwanted twist on the knee that the body is naturally fixing by pushing the heel out.

Or

A balance issue on that shot

(or maybe a mixture).

Another reason it could happen which is also to do with the hip is if the hip "turns" after he hit it, anti-clockwise, when he decides to move back, and his heel is turning out to be in line with that.

I can't say for sure though..as I haven't had exactly that happen to me myself..Or if I have in the past then I didn't notice it and investigate it.

Or even some other explanation other than "lower limb strength", seems more likely to me!!

#219 ralphz, May 4, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
  20. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

With that hill I will try experiment next time and try find a reason why is like that. Thanks for all feedback

ralphz likes this.