Malaysian MD - a new force to reckon with

Discussion in 'All England 2006' started by wl2172, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In contrast I thought I heard him encouraging Lin Dan, who had fallen badly in the second game against Lee Hyun Il in the final. And that worked wonders for Lin who managed to fight on gallantly and completely surprised even Lee, who was unable to capitalize on Lin's setback and lost gamely in the end. :)

2. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    The danes were also allowed a towel break when the same umpire had previously refused the Malaysian twice.

#42 Kamen, Jan 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  3. eskey

eskey Regular Member

http://www.kompas.com/kompas-cetak/0601/20/or/2381724.htm

You are Malaysian, so I suppose you can understand bahasa indonesia as well.

below is the part where the INA manager said that.
    ”Sejak pindah tempat banyak mati sendiri, servis nyangkut. Servis mereka juga di-fault enam kali. Candra/Sigit sempat protes, tetapi itu mengganggu penampilan keduanya,” kata Lius yang dihubungi seusai pertandingan.

4. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

BTW, I have a fundamental question on this topic. How can a judge tell where the waist line is ? Everyone's body structure is different, especially when a player does not tuck in the shirt. IBF has a rule that concerns a waist line but there is no rule to mark where the waist line is for each player....kind of stupid. Its like telling everyone the speed limit on the freeway is 75 mph but its up to the traffic cop to judge the speed you are travelling at.

Here is what IBF can do to correct what is missing:

1. Each player has to go through a physical exam to mark where the waist line is and certified by a doctor.

2. Every player is required to tuck in his/her shirt, this is a hard rule...no exception.

3. On the shirt, a red line is drawn to mark the waist line. Any attempt to cover this line is penalized.

4. A laser beam is added to the tip of racquet head. This beam allows the line judge to tell if the head is pointing to the sky, to the horizon or to the ground. A perfect racquet is one that includes a speaker that reads out loud the degree its pointing at such "thirty degree downward" to alert the player. Of course, there is a button on the racquet to turn it on/off....(you think I forgot about this right)

This creates "undisputable high tech evidence"

5. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

LOL....that will fix it good!!!!

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    FYI Everyone:

Gan was faulted for his service actionin previous round, including QF and 3rd Round. I didnot see them play in 1st or second round matches.

He was faulted more commonly in the SF however.

He was faulted for the racket head being above the wrist when serving.

IMO the serves were fault, and even some of them not called were dubious.

He was not put off that much by this, and this is a good sign from him. Lee Wan wah was much worse just for getting a yellow card in AE final 2004.

The Umpires are similar for all tournaments and feel although sometimes the heat ofthe moment gets to them, on the whole they are fair and unbiased. Protesting during matches would kill the game as play would have to be stopped while the problem is mediated. Umpires decision is final.

If rexy and Gan are smart they shall review footage and alter his service action accordingly. And come back stronger. They handled it very well under the circumstances they were under.

MAL MD has bright future on current form.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

This was a far worse decision, it was at least 5mins and 8point including long rallies when they were refused, then DEN allowed straight away. Again however they didn't let it affect them. I am very impressed with the temparament and mental strength of them.

8. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    My 2 cents...

Hi guys,

After reading what you all wrote, while as a Malaysian I do feel a bit sad that the way the service judge made his call against our players, and while I agree that it would certainly made a difference to the score of the game and the psychology of the players affected, bear in mind too that the match's not won or lost simply on service only.

If the Malaysians were amazing (more so than already were that day), then somehow, I would like to think that they would still have won despite the unfair service calls. As top professional players, I guess their challenge would be to rise above this type of unfairness and in fact, use it as a motivational tactic to help them be more determined to beat the 'odds' and to win despite the unfairness. It's a case of either relenting because of the fact that the glass was 'half empty' as opposed to concentrating on filling up a glass that was 'half full'.

In any case, 'nasi sudah jadi bubur', so let's focus on the next time when our top men doubles players will rule the world! Malaysia boleh! :D

Cheeky Malaysiankiwi,

Adelina

9. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator

sigit/chandra were was (unfairly) penalised for SIX TIMES by the service judge agaist CTF/LWW :D

10. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

So I jump into conclusion, the service fault call does affect a player's concentration during a game and it can be used as a weapon to influence the outcome of a match.......like what happened to AE.

11. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Ok, back to the topic of this thread, do you guys really think that Mal MD has a bright future? Knowing Malaysian, i personally think that 3 pairs in semis were fluke.

12. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Quite worried also. I personally think that when we put high hopes and expectations on malaysian players, they will falter. But when they are underdogs, they can perform far above our expectations. So it will be better for us and the malaysian media not to express our expectations to the players.:D

13. happy go lucky

happy go lucky Regular Member

This incident was really absurd:rolleyes: TV1 interviewed Rexy while the XD was playing and he mentioned about sending a letter to IBF about the service faults.

14. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Loh Ah Heng

I think so, remember Loh Ah Heng! anyone recall??? he is also a AE semifinalist.

15. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Somehow I dont think they will fizzle out like Loh Ah Heng. The young pairs have pretty decent rankings, top 15 if I am not wrong.

16. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Who is Loh Ah Heng? Pls tell more abt him. When did he enter AE semi?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    YOu should go back to 1995(?) to and his s/final against Heryanto Arbi. He nearly won first set!

But that is a topic for another thread - not this one

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Don't think you need to go back as far as 1995.

Remember a player called Hafiz, at one point he even won the All England!

19. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Malaysia Boleh!

See we are living in BolehLand, everything can happen. :p

20. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I think the Malaysian MD are definately players to watch out in the future.
    This was not one good result, but THREE malaysian pairs in the semis, which is a very impressive result.
    And these pairs are already well placed in the world rankings, this is not their first good result...
    (Choong/Lee were #1 in 2004, Lin/Tazari are currently #11 and Gan/Zakry are #12)