What is the typical age one should start training to become a pro badminton player?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by vivien, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Shinto

Shinto Regular Member

Try to learn efficiently too. Don't mislearn something just to have to relearn it. Make sure you get your form and your footwork right and work on your stamina.

2. misterchen

misterchen Regular Member

sorry for bringing back an old thread.. but i just had to reply. i play badminton for my highschool and my varsity coach started playing badminton when he was 17 years old... by the end of high school he was able to beat national players that have trained all their life and at his prime he was in the top five or ten in the US for doubles and mixed doubles. so yeah IMHO what age you start badminton doesnt matter if you're dedicated enough to the game

3. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    How they train in Indonesia

At one of the badminton camps in Indonesia, this was their schedule from Monday to Saturday:

7-8:30am - conditioning, weights
    10-12 - stroke techniques
    (they go to school from 1 to 3pm)
    3:30pm - 7:45pm - games, game tactics

Then once a month, they had tournaments.

This is throughout the year. I think if you're willing to sacrifice and practice this much, you can become really good. You'll need exposure to good opponents who'll push you though and make you better.

Also take a look at the techniques of world class players from the book "Advanced Badminton Techniques" and see if you've mastered every aspect:

http://instructoons.com/book/

4. TLCal

TLCal Regular Member

I would strongly encourage to go for it, we both share the same goal!!! I am older than you, however, I train 6 days a week, approximately 3 hours/day, the other "one" day I don't train, but I still play badminton tho~~

A lot of people said that Taufik Hidayat is a genius who starts also very late and doesn't train that long... well, does anybody have a clue on what age he started training?? I mean not play, but training!!

5. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

hey there..so long time never post already. Let me contribute something.

i also dream to be a professional player. I started serious training at the age of 14 also. And now i am 16+. yeah, i do train a lot everyday. From Monday to Saturday i train nonstop. And now the result is i can beat some of the state players. Even i cant beat some of them, at least i can give a tough fight with them. Maybe after i finish my secondary school, im not going to collage to continue my studies anymore. I will spend my whole time for full time training.

So.. nothing is impossible in this life. Excelling in sports is about hardwork, discipline, detemination and sacrifse. good luck!:cool:

6. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

And here's something from me: If you take notice of the Chinese, the start very early (5 to 7 yrs old) and peak very early as well (20 to 24 years old). But because of that, they end very early as well, about 2 to 4 years after their peak. The Danes on the other hand, generally tend to start later and peak later as well. But they get to play the game till their 30s competitively. The reason why this is so is because those who started early and trained competitively have already worn out their joints and all.

But for someone like yourself who have not trained competitively very much, your body is still able to take the heat for many years to come, so really, age is not the factor that determines it. Even the great Han Jian of China only started training badminton at the age of 17. Like Yadi have said, keep focus, train yourself physically up very well and watch your diet. The fitter you are, the more hours you can stay focused on your training every day.

Regarding training schedule, break up your training to morning and evening so that your body has time to rest in between. This will help you maintain your focus during the technical trainings. Maybe 2 hours in the morning and 3 to 4 hours in the evening. Morning being physical training and evening being a mix of technical and physical training. With physical being only at the last half an hour of the evening training. I hope this helps, and if you think it won't fit in to your time schedule, feel free to PM me :)

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    One step at a time....

Yeah, it really depends on how much you want it and plan concrete steps to realise your goal. Just focus your will and energy on it.