Play badminton in HCMC VIETNAM

Discussion in 'Vietnam' started by tifam, Mar 21, 2005.

1. permanis

permanis Regular Member

badmint cum holiday in HCMC

Hi All,

I guess we are should be enternally grateful to Birdiegut in providing helpful info regarding badminton in HCMC. To side track the matter, I believe tourism there is set to boom. Now that relationships between American and Vietnam has improved with Vietnam Airline flying to America this month (after 30 long years of waiting), there will be lots of Americans who will be visit Nam either as a place or for sentimental reason such as the war veterans who fought in Vietnam ( including US presidential hopeful Senator Kerry whose fighter plane was shot down and was jailed in Hanoi Hilton). This was reinforced by yesterday TV show interview with Eugene Levy and Samuel L Jackson ( the duo in their latest movie), where Jackson mentioned that his next holiday is to visit HCMC and check it out for himself because he has heard so much about the place. That was a good promotion for Vietnam. David Hasselhoff was on the first United Airline flight to HCMC early this year.

A holiday combine with a bit of badminton will be fun in Vietnam. If you can, make a side trip to Nha Trang in Central Vietnam for a holidays. People keep saying it is like Phuket 30 years ago.

Permanis

2. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Playing in HCMC

Hi Permanis,
    Good to hear from u. I am now in HCMC for a week till this Saturday. By then I will be back in Spore. Hope that when u are up here, u can guide to some of the delicious food locations. I think u know quite a number of places for good food;) Introduce to all of us,ok:D . We will love to hear from u.Besides having fun in games, we can enjoy good food too.:p
    Lee:D

3. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hi Birdiegut
    Good to see you are a frequent visitor to Vietnam.You should be getting all the frequent points judging by all the trips there.I hope you do play some badminton there. Yes there are lots of eating places in HCMC but in actual fact I was eating Malaysian food regularly at Satay House in Mach Din Chi. Maybe it was near where I lived.But the pho place next door is equally good too if you want a change of taste. As for the river cruise, you might as well skip the food (so and so only) and just take the boat trip which usually leaves at about 9.00. After that you can all have a drink or two at that cowboy pub opposite the pier shouting Hoi ( I never knew what hoi meant but I believe it to be cheers/yam seng/kam pei). That's all for food and drinks for the moment.Now, we must not divert from badminton....
    Cheers and all the best.

Permanis

4. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    Playing HCMC

Hi
    Just imagine today, I play with the Distric 10 champion at 553, Nguyen Tri Phuong. Wow, his skill is fantastic. Heard that he played badminton since he was a child.:eek: Well, my vietnamese partners and me got thrashed, 21 to 12:crying: My opponents kept on attacking my partner. Maybe they know my partner is not that experienced.:eek: Well, that is the way of the game. His weapon is his powerful smash. Got many good players too.Enjoy the games there. In future, if u are here,hope u can join in:D
    Adidas:)

#24 adidas_lee, Oct 28, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  5. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hello Adidas,

Your District 10 champion certainly looks impressive.HCMC is the powerhouse of badminton in Vietnam and the top Vietnamese players are from that city ( it's similar in Australia where most of the top players are all mostly Victorians).Their standard is nowhere near to the other South East Asian powerhouse like Malaysia, Indonesia or Thailand.However the game is extremely popular there and they have hired many Chinese coaches to raise their standard.It's a matter of time before their standard starts to attract attention but not now.They have only one good player Nguyen Tien Minh at regional circuit level.I read somewhere that a Vietnamese player is the captain of the NUS badminton team.On the whole, their standard can only go up.

Cheers

Permanis

6. grace_ngan188

grace_ngan188 New Member

A Vietnamese girls want to join

Hi,
    I am Ngan, a Vietnamese or (Grace-English name). I am living and working in Singapore.

While I am Looking for somebody to play badminton in Singapore, I got some information related to a Vietnamese who play badminton with others. I am very glad to join with you.

Just start to play and looking for playing partner or somebody who can help me to play regularlly.

Anybody can help? Pls email me: grace_ngan188@yahoo.com

Thanks and Best Regards!
    Grace

7. grace_ngan188

grace_ngan188 New Member

Hi Lee

Hi,
    Sorry for asking you in the first contact. Are you a Vietnamese? As I am a Vietnamese, living in SIngapore and really like this kind of sport. I am looking for somebody who can help me to play well.
    Should you are a Vietnamese, Pls drop me a line at email: grace_ngan188@yahoo.com.
    Thanks in advance!
    Ngan

8. kawasaki

kawasaki Regular Member

STUDENT

yes. i am vietnamese . i current stay in singapore now.just call me or sms me follow this number 81670450...contact me as soon as u can ...

9. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Hcmc

Hi Kawasaki,
    I am going to Vietnam Today 14/11/05 for 2 weeks. See u whern back ok? Contact Edward if u need any update on games. :confused: Thanks.

10. kawasaki

kawasaki Regular Member

STUDENT
    sorry Mr.Lee. i reply you too late.you are now in Vietnam and the day u come back sing 28/11 which before 1 day i return Vietnam.so , i can not go with you in Vietnam and Singapore either ..i am in vietnam from 29/11 until to 10/1/2006.
    on that period, u can contact with me ..about my mobile number in Vietnam, i dont have yet..dont worry i will give u as soon as i can ..i got yours number already..i can contact with you ..

have fun ..thank you ..see u in vietnam again

11. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Hcmc

Hi Kawasaki,
    U have long didnt log on BC Forum. That is why u reply me late. Anyway, i will be back to Singapore by 25/11/05. Hoping can see u there. i might be in Singapore for a week only. Might come to HCMC on 5/12/05:confused: Hope to meet u soon,ok.Wish u a good holiday in yr hometown too.;) Best of all to u, man.

12. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hi Birdiegut,
    Long time we have not touch base.Have you managed to get some badminton games in HCMC on your trips there? I will be there next week for about 1 month.If you can introduce me to some badminton kakis there, I will appreciate.

Permanis

13. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Hcmc

Hi Permanis,
    Good morning to u. How is things getting on? What is the date u will be in Vietnam HCMC? I am currently in HCMC till 07/04/06. If u are up here, do pm me and I will give u my VN mobile. Thanks.

14. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Dear Birdiegut,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we will just miss each other as I will only fly into HCMC on the 9th April and leave on the 6th May. I will bring my racket any way just in case. If you can help me in any way on playing in HCMC, I will be most grateful. I will be staying in the Nguyen Dien Chieu area near to Cach Mach Trang Tam.

Many thanks

Permanis

15. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Hcmc

Hi Permanis,
    See yr pm. I had replied yr questions.;) Ok. Good luck n enjoy yr stay in HCMC.:D
    Lee:)

16. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Vietnam is maybe the most friendly place to play in the world...No matter what your level just walk into any court and you will be asked to join in the action....

17. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Badminton in HCMC

Hi Dream Hai,
    Agreed with u that these guys are very friendly and sociable. Few can cammunicate in simple English. I think they tend to speak more French than English. :p I found these places are one of the cheapest in S.E.Asia. 3 times per week and cost per month is VND100,000/- per month is pretty cheap.:eek:
    Only the shuttlecocks used are of slightly lower grade. per tube is about VND 50,000/-;)

18. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hello BirdieGut,
    Just been back from HCMC after one month there.Was just able to play at Le Van Tam park with a group of local players. The upside is that you get to play the game but then downside is getting up at 5.30a.m to play. Again language is a barrier as I cannot understand a word of Vietnamese and they cannot understand English or Chinese. I just keep hearing them shouted kay wah during play so I presume it must be attack or good shot.I cannot understand the score.The only time I know the game is over is I see the other players walk off the court or change ends.
    Nevertheless the Vietnamese are very friendly people.I enjoyed playing badminton there and I suppose we can just use hand signs to keep up the score. After the game it is always nice to have a bowl of bum bo. Avoid the char siew pow or Singapore pow that you find everywhere (called banh bao) because they are just not what you eat in Singapore.While there I did see the 2006 Robotic Baminton tournament and I saw Ronald Susilo crashed out in the qf and the Singaporean ladies (mainland Chinese) came 4th. I think age is catching up with Ron. The Malaysian players fared better and all reached the semis and they were all junior players.

Permanis

19. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Hcmc

Hi Permanis,
    Wah, u are lucky guy man. But to wake up at 5.30am is way too early for me. I wake up at that time to wash my clothings.:eek: Hopefully I will still go up on 22/05/06 for a week. I am being posted to China Suzhou with effect from June 2006 onward. If u do come to Suzhou, please contact me then. Maybe we can have a game or so there.:p I will be there for a longer period. I have managed to find some locations for this game. Hope to see u if u are going there.;)
    Lee

20. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Places to play in HCM

:D There are hundreds of places to play here and almost always you will find someone who speaks english.
    If you are coming here contact me at vietnamnam@yahoo.com I will help you find places to play....I play for the Binh Thanh team (only foreigner on a vietnamese team) that I know of and half of the players speak english so it is easy for you to play at our club or many others clubs in the city.:D