stamina problem help please

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by llpjlau, Jun 12, 2006.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

hi all,

i play badminton for my school. when i play, i can win the first set 15-10, 15-8 or so. (we still use the traditional 15 point scoring system).
    however, i feel so tired after the first set and i dont have much energy left to play as good as i was in the first set. (i am already on energy drinks like powder gatorade or powerade)
    and in the second set i lose like 15-4, 15-2 etc, and in the third set even worse.
    i experienced this in most of my matches and i find it so annoying. i know its a problem with my stamina and fitness and i know that i have to start taking runs and jogs to improve on it. however, in the mean time, what can i do to counter my stamina problem? what can i do so that i dont tire out so easily?
    any styles i should play in the first set so that i have energy left in the following sets?

#1 llpjlau, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  2. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

stamina

There are no short cuts to getting lots of stamina. Just do lots of cardio regularly, and keep it up - it takes a much shorter time to lose fitness than to gain it.

3. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Play smart and effective shots [​IMG]

4. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

try conserving ur energy. and bring water.....?

5. Oggie

Oggie Regular Member

Bank Employee
    this works for me if I want a temporary boost of energy during the game: a.) eat banana, just a bite will do (tennis pros also do this), b.) just a sip of water or power drinks (not too much coz it makes ur tummy heavy) and c.) breathe.

6. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    long distance runs, or practice footwork for an hour training session.

footwork will help you move to the shuttle faster, and you would expell less energy by scrambling around the court.

make your opponent move around the court by using the four corners of the court.

push your opponent to the baseline, you know they are only going to drop or clear so you will use less energy by being prepared for the shot.

#6 robc06, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  7. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

haha see how serious you are... do 2 sets of 400m sprints with 3 minute break a week. 10 reps each time. Your goal is 1:10 each but anything under 1:30 at first is really good!

8. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    10 reps of 400m and a goal of 1:10 each ?? :eek: ... how fast can you guys run? ... wow I feel so slow right now :(

9. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    Jogging is a good excercise to gain stamina. I advise u to do jogging for 30 minutes for every session (may be 2 or 3 sessions for every day or every 2 days). If you can perform jogging continuously without stop for 30 minutes, that indicates that you can play a one set of 30 minutes game without losing yr breath :D .

10. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    so 400m, 3 minute break, 400m.. 10 reps?.. eg. 10 'sessions' per week? (so 3 days you gotta double up)..

11. black_knight006

black_knight006 Regular Member

Work at a pro-shop
    This Works!!!

Smart man you are Eurasian! I joined the track team just so that I could practice and get my endurance up for our year end tournament. I did it and they started us off running a 400, then walking a 400, 6 reps! The goal that they set for us was 70 seconds which was attainable. I got around 70 seconds, +/- 2, every time and by the time of the tournament I was beating some of the best players at our club. There were adults that are much better players than me but I had the endurance and speed to get to the birdie faster and make them run harder! You don't have to be a better player if you have better footwork and better stamina. Altho I guess that makes you the better player:p Good luck. Remember, run a lap, walk a lap. I don't know what your level of stamina is currently but try a "beep test" and see how you do. But generally I would suggest that you aim for around 80-85 seconds if you are not a frequent partaker of physcial activity. If you run a bit and get out on the courts often aim for 70-75. I can run it now at around 62-63 seconds, and I wanna shave around 5 seconds off of that by the end of summer! Good luck!

12. black_knight006

black_knight006 Regular Member

Work at a pro-shop
    By the way, you don't have to do 10 sessions per week. I usually only do 6 400m sprints with the walking lap in b/w, but I only do it 3 times a week. It's not like you have to do it 10 times per week and 10 sessions. Altho that would be a bigger help you'd probably kill yourself:p Anywho, I would say that 70 seconds is average...I've gotten it down to as I said, around 62. If you can get down to that level you will be great! Also...70 seconds all depends on how long your legs are. If you are like me and 6'1" and most of it is legs then you don't have a problem taking long strides. If you are 5'6" and short then that might be a little much to expect. It's all in retrospect!

13. Eurasian =--(O)

I am currently in the off season. Not doing 400m sprints. I'm going to start up doing them once a week again next week tho probably. My hip and knee were injured from use during season, my knee is good now but my hip is still a little off. 400m sprints are like the basic badminton standard for fitness at training centers around the world. 400m and skipping (plus a ton of other stuff... lol a ton)

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Currently starting hill-up sprinting...murder...
    Find a nice hill wich will take about 10-20 seconds to sprint up at 100%. if possible one with sand. 10 reps at full throttle. gruelish..

but for me it works. i;ve done it about 4 times now (really just starting) and I feel I'm getting faster on court, playing before I did that was more like "I knów I can do it faster, but how come I'm not?"

15. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Gosh.. starting out with eurasian's routine seems hard enough, let alone yours.. I used to run 2 laps of 500m (our australian football ovals are a bit bigger), and then walk one lap.. 2 sets is enough for me.. eepp..

16. Eurasian =--(O)

Walking for an entire 500m is too long a break!

17. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Do you wanna kill me? heheh.. lOlz

18. RevoWithin

RevoWithin Regular Member

pharmacy undergraduate
    ya ya...

jogging...30 min... at least twice per week.
    physical training in court.
    i always hv vitamin before badminton game. it boost me up. haha...
    sometimes chocholate bar before badminton matches.