Can you help me get my smash back?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Craig B, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Craig B

Craig B New Member

Hi,

I've just started playing again after a gap of about 6 years and i'm re-gaining a lot of my game (i've played to county standard) all except my smash which seems to have deserted me.

I used to be able to smash from anywhere on the court (i'm 6"3) but now the only thing i can seem to kill effectivly is set-ups about a meter from the net :(

I'm getting 2 results so far, either the shuttle hits the top of the net, or it tends to go to flat and if it was left, it'd probably land in the back tramline.

Technique i'm using (as best i can describe because you don't really think about it when you do it!) is lining up the shuttle so it's slightly in front of me. As it comes down getting over the top of it as i push my body forward and twist. Snap my wrist on impact and follow forward.

I know you can't really do a lot with that description, but any tips, advice or drills you could suggest would be greatfully received.

2. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    Like you, I resumed playing after 8 years. I had lost the nuances of pretty much every shot. So I hope you do well, and don't get frustrated like I did!

For the smash, I think you could practise having multiple shuttles fed to you, and concentrate on the location and height of your contact point, and the downwards wrist snap. The key is getting back the timing and consistency of the downward smash.

3. Kutz

Kutz Regular Member

A friend of mine had a similar problem. He used to have a very powerfull smash with a lot of control, but then stopped playing for 5 years. When he came back to badminton his smash still had power but was always flat, almost like a low clear.

What we did is just feed him shuttles, with him first hitting slower steep smashes just to get his timing and action right. He then started to hit them harder by speeding up the same action.

When practicing, make sure you are behind the shuttle and don't go for too much power. Eventually you will start hitting harder once your action has adjusted to hitting the shuttle steaper. Try to hit the shuttle at a high point (easy at 6'3:D ).

To get more power make sure you are in position quicker which gives you time and balance to hit harder.

4. morewood

morewood Regular Member

What you need is someone brave enough to set you up time and time again, half an hour of consistent practice you should be hitting them from near the back line.

5. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

As you've had a break from playing for some time you'll be struggling a little with many aspects of the game that you probably took for granted before. I bet you used to jump smash, and were in a prepared position earlier. If you've become a little anxious with trying to find the fault and questioning yourself while playing then this in itself will reduce your consistency. Try to find that natural flow, which can only come from playing more regularly.

basics of the smash.

Grip - power grip - similar to pointing at something. The thumb wraps around the grip and pulls in towards the middle finger. Index finger commits up the grip slightly. (do not leave thumb out)

Preparation. - Will see the racquet arm elbow pulled back, (create a VEE angle in elbow with upper arm), upper arms raised up to horizontal position. Racquet strings will be held so that they are square to contact, ie not slicing across shuttle. this is crucial, any slice reduces power.
    make sure you have pivoted side on to shuttle with racquet foot back, weight on back foot.

Begin throw - starts with drive upwards from racquet leg, jump up if required,the movement begins with large muscle groups first, then down to smaller ones. (racquet leg, hips/torso twist, left arm and hand pull into middle of chest area as the racquet arm and elbow throw forward.

Contact

For a smash the contact will be in front of you. A clear will be more above your racquet shoulder.

When jumping up to hit the sequence in footwork will be. Drive up from right foot- land on Left foot slightly before right lands. So basically you have pivoted through nearly 180 degrees, maybe 160 degrees as 180 would mean you've gone too far and would be facing out the left side of the court.

Try going to http://[URL="http://www.badminton.tv"]www.badminton.tv[/URL]. They have some usefull videos there.

Its difficult to get the whole routine down on type without the aid of pics. I've probably missed out some details.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I would recommend against using a distinct "power grip", with the thumb wrapped/curled around the handle and pulled in towards the middle finger. This grip will naturally occur on completion of the stroke, after the fingers have tightened.

Using this grip before impact, however, will reduce your ability to produce power by grip tightening.

(And yes, I know Lee teaches this "smash grip".)

You just need to make sure that your grip is firm enough so that the racket will not turn or wobble in your hand -- and no firmer! The grip should remain relaxed until the moment of hitting.

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Thats a fair point Gollum has made. Its basically a very small adjustment in the grip but its important to note that the index finger remains above the thumb and not below like in some of the squash grips.

be relaxed in preparation.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, the index finger must remain higher up the handle than the thumb, for stability. This is especially important for the smash, where you need a stable (though relaxed) grip more than any other stroke.

9. kabalen

kabalen Regular Member

a follow up question regarding body movement before contacting the shuttle for gollum and coachgary. assuming one already has the correct form, grip, and follow through motion with the right sound of the shuttle coming out of the racket, what do you think is best -- having the vee type form, your body is more compact and tight with a relax grip and then explode for the smash or having the vee type form, the whole body relax and loose, with a relax grip and then explode for the smash?

which do you think will add more power to your smash? thanks for all your contributions!

10. Craig B

Craig B New Member

Thanks for all the advice so far, i must admit the one thing i didn't think of checking is my grip. I could easily be holding the racket incorrectly for this shot now :)

I've got a training session tonight, so i'll be putting all your advise into practice hopefully. If anyone has anything else to add, please continue to contribute as i'm sure it'll be of benefit to both myself and anyone else having difficulty killing a smash.

Also, if any of the experts would like to comment on new racket suggestions, i've got a thread open here http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=460034

11. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    try not to focus too much on the power first. get the old right feeling back by practicing the stroke, hitting the sweet spot and get your timing back

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's hard to know exactly what you are describing here, but in general I suggest you prefer "relaxed" to "tight".

Relaxed muscles are essential for powerful hitting. The muscles must only tighten when you are hitting; if you tighten them when you are ready to hit, then your hitting action will be inhibited by the tension in your body.

So, in general, make sure you relax in preparation and immediately before hitting, so that you can make the best use of explosive muscle movements.

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

sounds liek you mgiht be forcing your smash too much...Bracing all you muscles as hard as you can to get the maximum power...and it fails, so you try harder...

Maybe you shoudl relax more, when warmign up, or havign a trainign session, do a véry relaxed smash. cycle threw the entire motion, including the wrist snap. and then increase you're swing speed gradually...the fats drop, to half smash, to full smash...no forcing, no power-grunting or anything...rely on your technique;)