A problem with return backhand service in single.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Simone_olivelli, May 13, 2007.

1. Simone_olivelli

Simone_olivelli Regular Member

Hi, i am an advanced player.
    My sparring and me are at the same livel.

I have a problem when play against him when he serves with backhand service and a i don't know if he will serve high flick or short.

(A thing: in my opinion, his flick service are fault:) )

Anyway sometimes, in our matches there is this situation:
    - he starts tu serve with forehand service and i can earn a lot of point, then he changes his service in a backhand service and i loose 5 - 6 points :confused: !!!

I don't understand if it is a only tactical problem or menthal too.

a) he serves short: if i return lift i should create a normal situation (like a clear after a long service) but i don't know why but i loose the rally

b) he serve flick: i can't change my return in attack, and so if i do clear he can smash, if i drop he can attack.

Strange situation.
    Help me.

What are the best returns to backhand service (if it is short and if it is flick) in a single?

Thanks

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

just make a mental note "Okay, servign backhand, be ready" and try and intercept any (faulty) flicks. Don't jump the gun, but try and attack his low serve...

are your lobs deep enough? does he see them coming?

being a short-server in my singles as well...I can sometimes scrape together 5 -8 points per set by cutting of bad lobs...or attacking from step 1.
    if you do some deception on your lob/attack he'd be in more problems! sometimes a very short return throw them off as well!

3. Simone_olivelli

When i do lobs should I try to do them very high (and slow) or more fast but not very high?

And the deception on his short serve, should i do push on his body or to the angles? The same for flick service: should i try to smash on his body?

I try to do different choice: if i smash on his body he defend easily because he have not to move to the shuttle, but if i smash to the angles..it is more difficult for me.
    Sometimes i try to deceptive his short services but if i do a bad push, i am died because i can't cover the court because i am too on the net; so often i prefere to do net.

4. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

When he serves short...do a drop shot away from him...thats what i do

5. webolution

webolution Regular Member

Ciao Simone - da dove sei? Stavo giocando a Milano, adesso vivo in Malesia pero - Great place to play Badminton!.

I had the same problem with change from forehand to back-hand serve during a game and used to loose 4 to 5 points. I have discussed this with some top players and they helped me adjust the strategy. So now I normally don' t loose any point or can keep the damage down to 1, max. 2 points.

Here what I do:
    1.) and most important - once you see your opponent change to back-hand,
    BE MENTALLY READY
    2.) Adjust your receiving position and move slightly to the front - just slightly
    3.) if the serve is short, you can return either with a short return very close
    behind the net, play an aggressive clear but be sure it is low and long or
    you just play a high return to the base. for this one you can as well send
    the birdie to the base T - as long as it is on or close to the line.
    4.) Flick serve - try to intercept as early as possible and smash/block with an
    interception with 1 step from your receiving position. If you can not
    reach just go back and build-up your normal game.

Most important is your footwork - be quick in intercepting and make sure you are ready for the next shot.

Maybe I meet you one day on an italian court?

Saluti da Kuala Lumpur

Andy

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

clear... if you're good you can win the rally.
    or do a drop. dont worry about attacking the low serves as you may never know if he is going to flick.

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

stop tryign out standard solutions..you'll become very predictable and it'd score you 4 points at best before he figures you out...

just experiment...

8. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

It sounds to me like you have problem when he starts attacking you. Based on what you said, you seem unwilling to be on the defensive because you lose when you are on the defensive. In that case, you really should polish up your footwork and defense. When it is a game, you should be able to switch tactics from offensive to defensive and still win the rally. If you can't, then you better keep on practicing on that tactic until you can.

You should get a coach to assist you with more of the basics. These kind of things are very basic stuff. And I think the quality of your shots can be improved a lot more if you have a good coach to help you.

9. Simone_olivelli

Ciao Andy, io vivo e gioco in Sicilia. Giocavi per il B.C Milano? Quindi conosci Luca Crippa?
    I was talking to him few minutes ago.

Thanks for your ideas.

I already tried to be ready for the service changing; but i can't do it very well but i hope i can develope it soon.
    Anyway i understood that it isn't very important if i lift on the center or on the sidelines. Is it true?
    The same thing for the smash?

10. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

It is important whether you lift on the side lines or centre because the way they take the shuttle is different and different opponent have different skills that makes them reply differently from the others. Based on the different replies, you should choose to avoid their strengths and attack their weakness.

11. Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool Regular Member

badminton
    i can understand your frustration about opponents changing serve tactics....for me all above are good advice ...most important is to be "mentally ready" .....

by the way, my opponents hate me coz i do that, changing from high/low, backhand serves and flick all the time....

i normally get on average 5-6 points on serve alone...!
    that's why they hate me....lol...

few weeks ago, i even got 11 straight points....only one serve...!

be strong and anticipate your opponents next move...that's all i can say.

cheers

12. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

you said "I dont know why i lose the rally", when yo uare receiving a low/short service. Consider and analyse how you are losing these points. Are you losing these rallies because he has hit a smash winner? If so, why was it a smash winner? was your lift too short? And was your base too far forward? Are you moving your base too far forward when receiving the serve, upon lifting the serve to the rear do you move your base further back to give you more time to react to a smash? Do you lift to the centre of his court, or to the sides? if forced to lift then maybe it would be better to lift to the centre, giving you less angle to cover.

Do you give the net return of service any disguise or spin?

Do you angle your stance/feet to cover the court.

Your base position should cover the straight high risk area, but your brain and feet should cover the cross court drop.

COVER STRAIGHT - LOOK CROSS.

Try not to get caught with the sucker punch, the cross court dropshot. If you can get it back with interest then you're putting your opponent in all sorts of trouble!!

Again - please analyse how you are losing these rallies after the receiving a short serve.

13. battousai15

battousai15 Regular Member

Sometimes your stance gives away the general area where you're most preapred to receive the serve. Maybe analyzing your receiving stance would help.

14. Simone_olivelli

Thanks to everybody

15. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Here are some of my advices:

Be in a ready position where you can push either forward and backward.
    If you are too eager to go forward then a flick serve will make you at a very disadvantage.
    Same disadvantage if you too eager to go backward.

Not all short server have to be push.
    You can do net shot too which will more likely to bring him to lift.
    Varies your shots to keep your opponent guessing.
    Recieving a low serve, you can flick, push, net shot or lift.

My only conclusion that he can attack you when you drop is that your drop shot when he flick must be very poor one.

Again if he flick, You can use a variation of shot.
    You can clear, smash, punch(flat fast clear) and drop shot.

Most important is your ready position where you can push forward and backward and keep him guessing what you going to hit.

16. Lloyd2709

Lloyd2709 Regular Member

Hi Guys, great advices, I am getting some issues with service and returns also.

For example, when I play single, and serves backhand short serve, the opponent usually take the shuttle quickly with a tight net shot.

And this is difficult for me to retrieve.

How should I do my service to avoid this? If I flick the service, they might be able to smash it.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    1) Make sure you serve slightly flatter, slightly faster and slightly longer I.e. Aim it landing past the service line. This makes it more difficult to play a good tight netshot.

2) Watch very carefully which shot the opponent uses to play a good netshot. People usually have a good side and a poorer side. If you aim your usual serve to his backhand and he plays a good netshot, then you must note this and vary the serve slightly left or right. Of course, if you are feeling confident and want to take a chance near the end of game, deliberately serve to make him play the netshot. Since you have predicted it, as soon as he touches the shuttle, go straight into the net to kill it. This produces two things - a) a point win, b) unnerves the opponent.

3) improve your backhand flickserve in singles

4) train defence after a flickserve. I often like the opponent to smash because they are jumping backwards as they smash and it is physically harder to return to the net. Obviously, here, I am looking to push their anaerobic capacity early in the rally so that after another ten or twenty shots in the rally, they start to feel it weaker earlier.

Lloyd2709 likes this.
  18. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    In singles, when you're serving you should not be toeing the service line. You should be a pace or two back. To compensate your serves should be a little faster and deeper. If you serve softly you'll get these tight net shot replies.

It's hard to do consistently, but tilt your racket head so the strings are facing more towards the floor than up towards the ceiling. Striking like this puts top spin on your serve, making it harder to play tight returns. This'll require some practice and refinement to avoid serving into the net.

Again if you're receiving serve in singles, you shouldn't be up on that service line. You have a longer service court to cover, and nobody else to pick up anything missed while you're off balance.

I haven't seen you play, but make sure you're using split steps and good lunges to reach at the net.

Remember to make your opponent move, try playing to each corner of the net, rear court, and sometimes to the middle. By doing this you avoid being too predictable, and having your shots cut off easily.

If you can, add a little disguise to these shots, reach them with time and control the shot well. If you're always swinging straight away and never using 'hold', you broadcast your intentions and they can start moving to retrieve the shuttle before you've hit.