Badminton for an obese... need help!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by green.blood, Jul 20, 2008.

1. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    Thanks guys, you all really being helpful and really appreciate it...

Keep the goods coming! Besides me there could be more players with obese problem...

2. DietCokeMan

DietCokeMan Regular Member

I know how heavy is 115kg 'coz I was 100 kg when I stopped playing for 1 year, then I went to the gym. Ran on trackmile, do skipping everyday..bla..bla..bla..and of course I controlled my eating habit then I started losing weight (I think around 25 kg within 1 year --> very slow ah??:p). I didn't mean to ask him to do it in an extreme way. He can start slowly. If cannot, then jogging will be another good one.;)

Skip the breakfast?? That's not a good idea. Breakfast is very important, and of course depends on what you eat. :D But, I agree with you with the midnight snacks and also please avoid drinking soft drinks.

By the way, I gained weight again. Now I'm 87 kg and keep going up...:D

#22 DietCokeMan, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  3. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

About the diet and the training:
    - Do jogging every morning before breakfast.
    - Oatmeal with milk or yogurt (but no sugar). Forget about kornflex, dried fruits, peanuts, peanut butter and so on...
    - For lunch and dinner -- a lot of proteins in order not to lose your muscles -- meat, eggs, cheese, whey, beans and so on. You need some carbohydrates of course -- but only from boiled potatoes and rice! Do not eat bread or any dough products. Before lunch and dinner eat vegetable salads, but no dressing (though olive oil is not bad). Salads are good thing, because it makes you feel not hungry.

That is from me for now. Good luck!
    :)

4. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

And if you go to the gym for weightlifting, do it before dinner and no more than 3 times a week. After gym training remember to eat your salad and potatoes or rice first and your main meal -- 40-50 minutes later.

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

If you're hungry when you wake up, that probably indicates that your fat metabolism is poor and that you're relying heavily on carbohydrates for energy. When your blood sugar drops overnight, you can't fill in the gap with fat burning, so you feel hungry. Worse still is that the typical breakfast - toast, juice, cereal, oatmeal, etc gets your blood sugar up then down, so you're hungry for a snack a few hours later.

There's actually a trend going on these days called intermittent fasting which involves extending the time between feedings. Imagine a caveman living in an age without restaurants, supermarkets and tv dinner. Suppose that one day he doesn't find any food; does this mean that he'll die of malnutrition the next day? In a world of survival of the fittest, going a few days without food is probably not going to hurt him. Contrast this with today's person who freaks out at the thought of missing a single meal.

Maybe you don't know about this, but there's actually a lot of research out there showing greater fat loss with anaerobic activity than aerobic activity. In fact, 4 minutes of highly anaerobic activity can result in greater fat loss than an hour of aerobic exercise. Just something to think about.

6. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

Swimming is quite good IMO. Especially if its a somewhat cold pool (maybe not possible in Malaysia). I think when I go swimming I lose more energy from the cold than actually swimming :D. So even if you arent able to swim much just sitting around in the cold pool could use energy haha.

Or your body could go into arctic mode and make a layer of blubber to keep you warm :D?

7. JayJayNYC

JayJayNYC Regular Member

Learning Products Engineer
    Green.Blood,

I was 125 kilos before (put on that weight during college - mamak food :() and 6 feet tall.

Now, at 24, i'm at 113 kgs.. (went down to 105 kgs for a while 2 years ago and it went back up to 125kgs after I started working in Dell :crying:)

Now, new job, more time for exercise... and breakfast :)

So, 7am breakfast (Rolled oats+Muesli [70:30] cooked in water and topped up with a little soya bean milk + sliced bananas) - this will easily last till 12pm.

lunch: normal Malaysian meal (not mamak food) - just consume half the amount of rice that you usually consume. - avoid oily foods :D

dinner: 4-5 slices of fruit and fresh salad (or substitute with fish-based meals if required - no rice or noodles or mamak food)

Try to think of other meals so you won't get bored - like multi grain bread - 2 slices with fresh Cameron Highland lettuce and fresh tomatoes - add a little Heinze ketchup to help you ease into the 'green' feel. A little cheese might be ok.

If you have to go to the mamak stall for food with friends, the only thing you are allowed to eat is chapati with a little dahl. - plain water or limau ais will do. - 'Kurang Manis' (less sweet) is the word of the day.

NO FAST FOOD - McD, KFC, PIZZA, etc.... BIG NO NO..

Going for a movie?... skip the food at the concessionaires stand - plain water will do. The popcorn sold in Malaysia has caramel - fats...

Skip all forms of canned drinks and sweetened drinks - plain water as much as you can.... even 100 Plus has unnecessary sugars - good for healthy ppl, but we need to burn, remember?

I play badminton twice a week - Tuesdays and Thursdays
    - make sure you lunge correctly
    - play control shots more
    - warm-up properly before play and cool-down before heading off.

At the gym, spend 80% of your time working on cardio - use the elliptical cross trainer - to protect your knees and joints. Use the remaining time to work on your muscles.

It's gonna be difficult, i guarantee.. but after a month, you'll get used to it.

Skip the pills and other 'health' drinks, etc... for now - you're only 28.

One reply stated that we shouldn't skip the chicken and beef, but in Malaysia, the only chicken and beef we can find at food joints are either fried, deep-fried or soaked in oil then grilled - all with the skin still attached. To get lean chicken and beef, we have to prepare it ourselves - which is quite difficult for working ppl here. work hours are 8am to 7pm on most working days.... unlike in AUS/NZ where most ppl work 10am to 4pm... yeah, I dealt with AUS/NZ when I was in Dell. :D

Hope this helps :p

My target weight is 80 kilos - I was 80 when I was 15, runs in the family :mad:

#27 JayJayNYC, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Obesity has being linked to genetics but it is more of the environment that will affect how you eat.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's linked to lifestyle changes. I guess if you have a job that you have to walk around the office much, you won't gain weight so much. But for many, the office job (where you might spend 10 hours a day) means sitting at the desk.

Another difficulty in Malaysia is that it is extremely hot to walk outside. So people only take short walks outside or then drive during the majority of their waking hours. Walking to public transport facilities is less common for higher income group people. i.e. people who have sedentary office jobs.

In malaysia, the pace of life is slower, so people walk slower. So less need to use so much energy, right :) Overweight people are far less than in USA but you can see there are local lifestyle factors that contribute.

10. ShadowFury

ShadowFury Regular Member

11. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    No I don't believe in many common sayings ;), but I thought the one about breakfast was quite good. Eating a healthy breakfast has always been the one consistent advice I have been given from health / diet professionals - they can't all be wrong :). However, I accept completely that you can still lose weight without breakfast - especially if that breakfast is high in sugar.

One of the problems I have with diet advice is that there are so many schools of thought. IMO there is no simple solution other than burn more energy than you consume. Its just simple law of physics :( but so easy to say, so hard to achieve! For every one opinion favouring, say the Atkins diet or importance of breakfast :p, you will find another against it. Ultimately, the OP needs to find an exercise regime and diet that work for him and his lifestyle - and then stick with it!

It takes a great deal of determination to lose weight - its not easy at all, but the results should make it worthwhile.

I didn't know about the anaerobic exercise being more fat burning - that's interesting.:eek: It seems to go against main stream advice - but that does not mean its not true! Its great news for me because that suits the way I like to work out. :D:D Do you have any more information?

12. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    green.blood, your situation is exactly like mine. I'm 5'7" and 105kg. Badminton no problem for me, as well as other sports. but you need to exercise regularly. I still manage to play 2 times a week at least. just need to be more careful, that's all.

13. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Eating breakfast is the best way to lose weight. Having breakfast kicks starts the metabolism to start working. Its been proven time and time again that having breakfast will actually help you burn calories quicker later on during the day.

I could post many links on the subject but google will give the same results.

Can i suggest that Mr Green, you go onto www.muscletalk.co.uk and having a look at the dieting / cutting section, the nutrition section and the journals section. The journals are good as you get before and after pictures, and also a break down of there day to day eating habits and workout regimes.

Badminton is also an excellent way to keep fit and lose weight when played regularly, but if you do start feeling discomfort in your joints and muscles then I would advise against doing it to much. Maybe supplementing with glucosamine to aid in joint recovery would be beneficial.

Remember when you do have a diet, to replace normal carbs with complex carbs, such as brown bread, sweet potatoes, wholegrain past, brown rice etc.. not white bread, potatoes and normal pasta....dont forget essential fatty acids, and vitamins too.

Cod liver oil/Omega 3's capsules will be good to supplemt with your diet. Like i said, go register on muscletalk.co.uk. There is a wealth of information there and they are a great bunch of guys, with plenty of professional dieticians and the likes, including a registered doctor.

14. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    A little history of mine. when I was 16 I weigh 95 kilos. Without exercise, I managed to slimmed down to 72 kilos in 3-month in a very unhealthy way. Being very stressed (first time in boarding school! :D), I lost my appetite! My body became weak, lost my muscles and excessive skin problem. Learning from that experience, I want to do things the correct way!

I agree breakfast is essential to lose weight. Furthermore I eat less at lunch and dinner whenever I had breakfast.

Normally I would eat a lot at breakfast (as follows). This is based on some advice I recieved from this forum + some from my doctor...:D

1. Hi-Fibre bread/oatmeal
    2. Scrambled Egg
    3. Hot organic soy bean

when I'm going through a busy day I add some chicken to the menu. Normally grilled chicken (tandoori, for the flavour... buy at night and heat it up in the morning). This maybe twice a week.

This would keep me full even after lunch but anyway I take some fish + vege in small servings just to avoid feeling hungry until dinner. I avoid supper now.

For supplement I take some but not really for weight control. On daily basis I take Omega-3 fish oil, redoxon (vit-C) and L-carnitine.

It has been great, I don't feel sluggish as much as I did before. The biggest chalenge is to keep myself motivated and be very disciplined about it.

15. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Good to hear. One more little tip. Eat little and often rather than lots at once as this will spike your insulin levels. Keep food at a constant but keep it healthy. Eating to much for breakfast could have adverse affects ;)

Keep things simple and avoid sauces such as tandoori...as these contain lots of sugars...unless you prepared the sauce yourself :D

16. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

People always mention the first law of thermodynamics, yet I wonder how many people have actually studied it. Sure, you start out with a simple equation, but if you fill in the terms on both sides you'll often find variables on one side of the equation influencing the other side. For example:
    - eating lots of protein raises body temperature, thus increasing energy out over an equivalent amount of carbohydrate
    - an intense, heavy workout makes you very hungry
    - an extremely long, low intensity workout might make you lose your appetite
    - if you eat too much carbohydrate, your blood sugar goes up as does your insulin levels -> it is much harder to burn fat when insulin levels are high

The term "moderate" is often used, but to use it properly you must look at the human diet across all of human existence, not just modern diets. Humans hunted/gathered for a million years, started eating grains a fews thousand years ago, started using vegetable oil about a hundred years ago. Some misguided nutritionists then recommended that grains should be the foundation of our diet and vegetable oil should be used instead of animal fat?! Not a moderate solution at all! Keep in mind that ancient humans hunted big scary animals to extinction using little more than pointed sticks.

If you hook someone up to a respirometer (a device to measure CO2 and O2 volume in/out), you can infer their energy expenditure by how much oxygen is transformed into carbon dioxide. So, if you were to do a test on a treadmill, oxygen consumption would gradually increase up to a certain point, meaning that the aerobic system has maxed out its power output. Past that point, additional power would come have to come from anaerobic pathways. However, the ability to sustain that power drops sharply with increasing intensity.

So, suppose on a treadmill you test someone's ability to run until exhaustion. Since oxygen use has a maximum, the respirometer would ignore the energy expenditure above that intensity. So, you can optimize a solution in terms of overall energy spent - this will give you an intensity somewhere below the maximum oxygen level and the associated time until exhaustion. Usually this is called the "fat burning zone" for this reason.

However, it turns out that there's something else that should be measured - excessive post-exercise oxygen consumption. Basically, your oxygen consumption rate stays elevated after you exercise. This is especially so with higher intensity activity. So while you burn less energy in a 4 minute high intensity workout than a 1 hour low intensity workout, your overall energy expenditure may in fact be greater with the higher intensity.