2004 World Junior Tournament...

Discussion in 'World Junior Championships 2004' started by Kelvin, Apr 12, 2004.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    sneaky. Phonecamera?

2. verve_pipe

verve_pipe Regular Member

student~!duh...
    more pics please...snap malaysia's team when there are in action..esp the boys doubles:)

3. thebestofall

thebestofall Regular Member

Student at DT!!!
    Depends what I am Doin!! If i m doing line Judgin! No cant do! i might be able to do some SScorekeepin! then i can take some snap!

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    pre-semifinal results...

here are the results of the group matches up till the semi-final.

China hasn't lost a match yet, while INA / KOR / TPE all lost one match and advanced to the top bracket semi-finals.

there are 5 brackets semi-finals.

also noticed that Malaysia was stretch to 3-2 by Slovenia :eek:

CAD / USA are in the bottom bracket. i was expecting NED to do well.

Attached Files:

5. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Terrific games on Friday.

Hi,

The games were very exciting. Malaysia's boys double was beaten by China's pair. But, the Malaysian pair won the second game after their disastrous first game. They put up a good fight but lost to China (I think it was something like 15-10). Both teams showed some extraordinary moves on second and third game. The crowd gave loud applauses to both teams (we happened to sit among the Malaysian fans). Malaysia Tourism gave out some hats and little flags to the supporters. Some fans shouted, "Malaysia, Boleh!" But, we were not as noisy as the Indonesian team. China eventually won by 5-0. Malaysia's girl single was no match to China's. It was over in a blink.

The girl single between Indonesia and Denmark was also very exciting. Here, the indonesian voice of support and drum(empty shuttlecock container) were deafening after they found themselves in a situation of 2-1 against Denmark. They played 3 games. Indonesia won the first game. Then, Denmark won the second by a close margin(I think it is 17-16, but Indonesia tied it at 12-12 after falling behind Denmark by 8 points. And then further advanced it to 13-12. From this point on, quite a few switches had happened before Denmark won it). In early third game, it appeared that Denmark found a way to block the two short Indonesian girls' smashings by standing closer to the net. But, after a few mistakes, the indonesian girls got out of the difficult situation by mixing their smashings and clearing (to the back of the court). Also, they made very good drops, especially the girl named Polli. The final score was around 15-10.

The boy single (Denmark vs Indonesia) showed a little problem on a court. The Denmark player found himself stepped on uneven surface after a small carpet wrinkle built up under the back of the court.

The court next to their games were played by Sweden and Russia. It was 2-1 (Russia lead) so they have to play boys double. The Russians were around 6'5" to 6'9" tall. Their third game tied at 14-14. Then, Russian won it by 2 points.

Korea beat Japan and Hong Kong (2 tall Koreans did damaging smashes -- boys double). Hong Kong boys double lost confidence in their first game against the Korean pair (15-1 or 0, I forgot). They were able to block some of the smashes at their second game. Their smashes were ineffective against the Koreans in the first game, but they got through the Korean's defence at the second game. They lost the second game but at least they tried.

At the second halve, Singapore lost to India (3-0), Japan lost to Korea (3-0).

The person sat next to me told me that she was hoping that CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company; national tv) would cover the finals. No TV crew were there. Personally, I found advertisements about the event was lacking. This is one of the reasons that not many people knew an international game was held in Richmond. My friend lived half a block away from it and she didn't know it too (to be fair, she doesn't play badminton). On the other hand, I was happy because three of us were able to sit on the front row seats to watch the games :D. I stayed from 9:30 am - 11:10am, then from 1pm to 10:10pm to watch the last games in the day.

From pseudo-Reporter,
    Ted.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

thanks for the report canuckbur. Junior russian 6'5" - 6'9" tall ?:eek: I like to see their jumpsmash :D

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I did see a CityTV cameraman taking shots during the first day of the tourney. That's all for badminton in TV world:rolleyes:.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    For their height, they still JUMP SMASH:eek: No where to go but down:rolleyes:. Our Canadian boys got done in against them cuz they lift too much:crying:.

9. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Anyone know who's playing in the first round tomorrow at 9AM??

If China and Korea aren't playing until the afternoon, I'd rather sleep in and show up for the last round at 2PM. :p

If anyone knows, please post tomorrows time schedule.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is saturday's schedule:

Attached Files:

11. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Thanks Kwun! Looks like I get to sleep in tomorrow! Yay~~~ :D

Of course I'd prefer to watch the entire day, but I just don't think I could manage it tomorrow without my health suffering! :eek:

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did anyone spot the Chinese Junior coach (also 2000 Olympics MS Gold medalist) Ji Xinpeng in Vancouver?

he got married last week, i am just wondering if he has made Vancouver his honeymoon location.

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Any News or updates? on the matches?

14. thebestofall

thebestofall Regular Member

Student at DT!!!
    Heres The Pic !!! thebestofalL~!! is the best

Attached Files:

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The pics are a little blur.. just wondering why is the "net" thing doing behind the court..

16. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    The net is to catch all the shuttles that go astray from the players defending all the nuclear smashes! Heheheh :p

Minoru Arena is an ice rink. The net is there to catch all the hockey pucks that deflect upwards, and protect the spectators from them.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

our canadian hopeful lost :eek: , to nederland :crying:

Canada...... Alex Pang 15 3 4

Netherlands Saber Afif 6 15 15

probaby get goose eggs if we play china. :(

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

canada just lost the MD in 2 to nedereland also. :eek:

maybe we would play better if our players put on skates and wield a hockey stick instead. :eek:

19. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Well, it was fun today working the security detail. There are two stringers available to do stringing with two helpers. Jennifer Lee is one of the two stringer and they were both using desktop flying clamps machines (6 points with crank). I was watching them string and the tension is only around 24-26 lbs for this particular Taiwanese player.

Good games all around. Hong Kong vs India was very good with long matches and basically going down to the wire with HK finally pervailing. They started at 9:30 and didn't finish until 3-ish pm.

Korea vs Taiwan was another good match-up and ditto for Denmark vs Malaysia.

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    That confirms Asia as the best place in terms of high-quality baddy training. :D Horrraaayyyyy for HK :)