2013 Indian Badminton League (August 14 - 31)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Feb 19, 2013.

1. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    I can't even understand why this argument is even going....All we know is China/Korea and Indonesia didn't allow their payers to participate..No matter what 24 international players are still playing who made themselves available....and it's still only the first edition....

2. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    That's why I compared it with IPL...Indians always see it in IPL...people taking away hundreds of dollars with playing minimum to no matches...

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    just saw the mention.
    but not that interested actually
    haha
    all the best for tty

4. madbinton84

madbinton84 Regular Member

yes who is she? overly excited!

BTW how are you watching IBL in the uk? youtube?

5. madbinton84

madbinton84 Regular Member

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Comparing the 1.2 million SSP in Korea:

1. $0 for not playing; vs $26,333 for not playing at IBL
    2. $1,200 (+ no more playing) for losing one match; vs IBL: $12,677 for losing
    3. $3,000 (+ continue playing) for winning 1st round; vs IBL: $2,200 for winning
    4. $3,000 (+ continue playing) for winning 2nd round; vs IBL: $2,200 for winning
    5. $10,200 (+ cont + medal) for winning quarter; vs IBL: $2,200 for winning
    6. $28,200 (+ cont + medal) for winning semi; vs IBL: $2,200 for winning
    7. $44,400 (+ medal) for winning final; vs IBL: $2,200 for winning

Unlike IBL(Mumbai specific here) paying $26,333 for not playing, KO paid $0.

IBL(Mumbai) paid $12,677 for losing a match, KO paid $1,200. At KO, if you lose, you get small money, and no more games. At IBL, if you lose, you get huge money, and will still play.

IBL(Mumbai) paid $2,200 for winning a match, KO paid $3,000 - $44,400 for winning a match at different rounds.

I thank IBL spending big money on badminton, from the bottom of my heart :) . But I don't like how the money was spent. :(

At Chinese league, a player (especially foreigner) got paid $20,000 per match. If winning, there's extra bonus around $2,000.

7. Drive Warrior

Drive Warrior Regular Member

Engineer
    Citation needed...

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Definitely.

2cents. Obviously the first IBL will have some analomies in pricing. That's because it's the first one. But later, due to the auction system, the players will drift to their market values in subsequent IBLs. Although you compare the different leagues, the china league is a more established league so it's not fair to compare a startup to the China league. Again, the marketing value is different to your perception. As an outsider, unfamiliar to the Indian market, your perception will hold less weight. However, the converse holds true as well.

9. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

IBL is like a lump sum payment. While Chinese league is different. The club has to pay 基本工资 + 转会费 + 出场费 + 赢球费. These fees are set to make sure, playing (even losing) will get paid more than sitting, and winning will get paid more than losing.

It's not public how each player gets their pay. But for Taufik, it's said the 出场费 is more than 100,000 Yuan, and less than 500,000. (divided by 6 to get US $) (http://www.gzba.org/club2011/Show.asp?id=1266). Plus other fees, Taufik should get paid around $20,000 for one match. Unfortunately, he usually got just 1 match to play for each year.

For other players, like Lee CW, Setiawan,..., their clubs claimed the package is similar to Taufic.

10. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    There is a lot of discussion on value etc here.

But, all I want to say I had a blast watching the matches. There were interesting pairups and matches like KKK/JG against JFN/Ashwini. I would not have predicted that Ashwini/Fischer would win.
    Youtube live streaming is pretty good move. It works on mobile devices too. BWF can learn a little bit about broadcasting the sport more widely from these folks.

11. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

that's just my personal feelings. I thought no matter what kind of tournaments, the winner should be paid more than the loser, at least at average level.

I know some boxers paid depend on the historical performance before the match. I hope IBL can adjust its pay next year at least based on this year's performance.

12. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    OMG...Not this thread too.....Wow..can't people stop this ...For God's sake how many times is this repeated..If a person plays this league well..He will obviously be sold for a higher price in the next auction...And isn't it the same in every league in the world which has a contract...Why don't you go and say the same to every one around the world....

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Cool. In fact this issue has been explained many times in thread already. Just click back and the answers are there. Nobody claims it will be perfect. Nobody says it has to run the same format as other leagues. It is run differently and therefore has different advantages and disadvantages to the other leagues. As with other things in life, it can evolve and change but something has to start somewhere. That it has more locally based players is totally understandable. That happens in the China league as well...

It should be applauded that we have another league for professional badminton players. Another way for promoting badminton to even more people.

#393 Cheung, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  14. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    to me Ashwini is much better player than JG...JG is just more famous for obvious reasons...

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    This IBL is setup to provide badminton entertainment

Agree. :):):)

While BWF is organising tournaments to determine who are our better badminton players (worldwide), this IBL is setup to provide us with badminton entertainment.

While some BCers here have talked about value/money to be paid to certain players, the IBL organisers are more concerned about their 'crowd-pulling' value.

Having said that; We thank the IBL organisers for staging this badminton league.

India has organised league matches for cricket and field hockey (sometimes I follow/watch). It's about time for India to organise some badminton entertainment. :):):)

#395 chris-ccc, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Well here we go again today. The match later on today should be a good one as both have already won one.

1.PNG

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Mystery solved with how Sidek communicates with everyone, He just did an interview and understood and spoke english.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2013 Indian Badminton League (17-August - staged in Lucknow)

Just wondering how many spectators from Lucknow will be turning up to watch today's badminton matches.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

How Sidek communicates

Where can I find to listen/read the interview?

Please post the link to it.

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I am just watching the live stream http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF9tjtLtdTE
    Indian badminton league has their own you tube channel plenty stuff on there already. If you rewind the live stream from that link you will see the Sidek interview.