2014 Maybank MALAYSIA SS Premier : SEMIFINALS & FINALS (18th & 19th January 2014)

Discussion in 'Korea / Malaysia / India Open 2014' started by CLELY, Jan 17, 2014.

1. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

Yea you're right. It did look like he was saying "this is the final time, don't tell me what to do again"

2. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Well, going to start a long analysis of what happen to the taunting and excessive provocation and celebration in the match. What I am focusing at, is what happen before the match that leads to the situation
    So is taunting even acceptable? Well some said it is unsportsmanlike. Well, it is certainly ungentlemanly, but hardly illegal. There are a lot of such behaviours in sports, look at CR7, ibrahimovic, Mohamad Ali, Mike Tyson, Usian Bolt, O’neil…. 2 things that’s different from them with the Malaysian pair:
    1:they are on top of the world,
    2: they are in full contact sports.
    Si how big is this game? Well, we have the Olympic that occurs only 1 in 4 years, so lets put it aside. Other than that, we have the World championship, SSF and All England, which is an SSP event that usually viewed as bigger than other SS event. So is this a big event? I guess to most players, it is.
    It is the first time an SSP event held in Malaysia. China already secured 2 wins and in the hope for another 2.
    Malaysia, on the other hand, has probably 90% of winning one(at least to most Malaysians) and the other one lies with MD. Before the tournament starts however, things doesn’t seems well for the Malaysians. KKK/TBH has always proven to be a disappointment for last few years. Lim/Goh on the otherhand, was drawn against Bo/Mo, which was a hot favourite. Others, nobody can be sure about their performance. However, after the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round, it was Lim/Goh as the sole survivor, after overcoming the notorious fellow ungentleman Danish pair.
    Things get better and they are in the final, against the Chinese pair who beat Koo/Tan in the first round. What is more appealing to the fans is that Koo/Tan has been suspended, finally, by BAM. It is their chance to shine!
    What is more significant is probably, other badminton fans around the world, they are looking at this match as China against the world. Fans attitude are against the Chinese, and home fans are pro the Malaysians. This is not the usual A vs B team. It is an underdog vs a chines pair, although new, has their individual performances proven before.
    Wont be saying what is right what is wrong, but perhaps, maybe we can take a look at what is at stake for the players.

3. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Its part of sport - taunting or whatever - its up to the umpire/referee to
    control and the mantra is WIN AT ALL COST.
    Anyway showmanship/taunting are sign of confidence and they are smart
    enough to utilise the home crowd.
    If you win, all is forgiven - anyway isn't it better to win loudly than lose
    meekly as many mas players seem to do.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, the pressure on MAS pair to win was tremendous.
    To the CHN pair, it was probably just another tournament.
    To the MAS pair. it was probably now or never.

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

Agree with your post. As many had said the CHN pair was exceptional in MO14, I have not seen all the games the CHN pair played to reach the final. As I saw the MDF game, except for Hong's overhead kill, the CHN pair was average. GVS/LKM with so many serving giveaways and still won the match, lady luck was on their side. I agree with previous posters that had GVS/LKW's opponent been the KOR or INA top pair, they would make GVS/LKW pay dearly. Enjoy this SSP title, they need it. I am not optimistic this pair will win another SSP.

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer

Limsy 'Mr knowEverything in MAS baddy'...we need you to dig up some juicy gossipy news about this:D

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Limsy's base is Kota Bahru, Kelantan, same place as BAM's president and his speciality is MAS badminton. Not sure if he has much on CHN badminton.

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    not really,i am pretty faraway from mas badminton nowadays.
    if 2009-2012,maybe yes:p.

he is talking about goh/lim i guess:confused:

9. MikeYeap

MikeYeap Regular Member

Engineer
    what I saw was Xu Chen telling Ma Jin : " That was your ball, you should take it ". A smash was aimed at the center court but just a little more towards Ma Jin's side. I saw the lips of Xu Chen when he was telling Ma Jin that. And its quite easy to read their lips...

another was Xu Chen telling Ma Jin " Just push the ball downwards and it wont be so hard for us "...

10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    For a while they are like the Hatfields and McCoys with MJ straddling her hands on her hip looking stern and the same for XC...so they are just discussing strategy about how to hantam the DEN pair next time, so all is good, happy couple again:D. One thing, this MJ shortie can be quite bossy with no respect to tall people:p, maybe XC has enough of being boss around and finally unload all the years of pent up hot air in his lungs...just guessing:D

11. MikeYeap

MikeYeap Regular Member

Engineer
    that match MJ was not performing that well at a particular time. So XuChen step up the role and corrects MJ's wrong method of playing. MaJin respects XuChen as senior in the team coz she addresses him as " XuChen Ge" - Bro XuChen...

Its rare to see XuChen being the boss of the court...haha..

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    No doubt XC was on top form, excellent play. MJ even in her off day as you said was still reliable and fast at the front. I always like this pair.
    Do you agree that short women are usually bossy, just look around...now for sure I get hecked for saying this:D

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Probably you have one at home. Just guessing.

14. MikeYeap

MikeYeap Regular Member

Engineer
    I have one at home.. :p

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

I think the boo were louder in 2012 and 2013. For this year, as our PM came personally for the prize ceremony(with the power of kangkung), therefore the boos is not really significant although I watched back the video the boos is really loud and significant. :D
    Was sitting a few meters from the players. It was the MAS players who started first by staring arrogantly towards the Chinese pair after winning a point. The atmosphere of Malaysia Open as usual is extraordinary but the crowd and the players got themselves really high that day, most probably because of 2 malaysians in 2 categories in FINAL day.

#615 george@chongwei, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  16. george@chongwei

Unfortunately, the organizing of event for the spectators and fans is not anywhere near the standard of a premier super series. I remember last year they had a big shuttlecock in front of the entrance for fans to pose photo, live stage band concert, contest for fans to estimate the height of the shuttlecock and a lot of sports car on display plus astro Arena booth was there. P/s Red Fm and 988 car cruiser was also there to give fans some goodies and support for the tournament. MAYBANK need to significantly improve their event organizing skills if they are to lure more fans to the tournament for the Premier super series level for years to come, as LCW also stated he is not participating in MAS Open anymore, so MAYBANK has got a lot of homework to do!

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Does anyone have links to Goh/Lim vs Boe/Mo game? Would be much appreciated... :)

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    they appreciate that kangkung is cheaper:D
    (but i read it's price raised 17% for last month:p)

because bam lost some sponsor,so it become rather boring :p
    is the stadium full?

19. george@chongwei

1st round and quarter final is not full. Semi final and final for premium seat is sold out, however plenty of seats can been seat at the upper tier area and another side of lower tier which is above the prize ceremony podium. Thought you attended the event?

20. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    No worries. Sure got lots of girls coming when Georgie boy attends. ;).. lol

#620 extremenanopowe, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014