[30s unfit uncle] String/Tension recommendation for recreational play?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by zeozeo, Oct 14, 2018.

1. zeozeo

zeozeo Regular Member

I just got back into badminton after a ~5 year haitus and I need to get all my old rackets restringed etc.
    I will be playing with much younger (fitter/better) people and I'm about 50% fitness compared to myself 5+ years ago. What string tension and type should I use now? I usually play doubles.

I have three rackets and these were the string/tension I used:
    APACS Lethal 70: BG65, 25/27 lbs.
    - I found this racket good for smashing as it's stiff, but it got tiring after ~10 minutes competitive play. It's hard to clear when I'm not positioned well or tired.

APACS Tantrum 300: BG65, 25/27 lbs
    - My main racket, balanced and good for doubles play. I can use this racket for the next 20-30 minutes of competitive play. After that, I tend to run out of stamina and have to play less seriously.

ApacsNano 9900 Power: Stern 9, 23/25 lbs
    - The racket I lend out to my female friends or use when I'm tired. Very powerful but control is poorer.

I used to use BG65 because I could only get my rackets re-strung once a year. Now, I can string every month, but I'm considerably less fit than I was years ago. What string/tension should I try to make it less tiring for me? Maybe BG80 with 24/26 tension? Or should I just go with my super old racket's loose BG65 string?

In addition, does anyone string at Kemin sports store @ Beauty world? How is the stringer there vs. the few @ Queenstown Shopping Centre? Thanks for your info.

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO you use a too high tension in combination of one of the worst currently available strings at 0.7mm and below. If you get after 10-30 minutes into trouble to clear your tension is too high and/or the racket are too demanding for you.

Since you come from a super soft string like BG65, you can switch too BG80, but should drop 3lbs to get equal. If I take into account that you maybe use a too tight stringbed, I would suggest something between 22-24lbs. Not higher. You can also give Li Ning No.1 or BG66 Ultimax a go. Not hard feeling strings.

BTW, are you playing feathers or plastics? This will also determine which string goes better and tension.

3. zeozeo

zeozeo Regular Member

Thank you for your help. I was using BG65 @25/27 lbs because I felt that it would stretch to become 23/25 lbs after a few weeks, as I could only re-string once a year. Thanks again for the tips. I'll try both BG80 @ 22/24 on the first and perhaps BG66 Ultimax @ 22/24 on my second racket? Does that sound about right?

Usually I use feathers but I might occasionally use plastics too. Which string is better for each type of shuttle?

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Okay, I see why you went higher, but I wouldn't suggest it. I would 1000times prefer a 2lbs lower tension than a 2lbs higher tension.

Normally for plastics it's better to have a more durable string and a lower tension, because it can injure your arm quite easy compared to feathers.

Ask the stringer for just 24 lbs. 2 lbs difference is not a standard on modern machines anymore. it's more 1lbs. Each stringer will know what works. On my machine with 2 lbs, the rackets will turn out slightly longer and narrow. I only add 1lbs on the cross, but it can depends on stringer and the used machine. Ask for 24 lbs. A good stringer will know how he treats your requested tension. :)

5. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Pls don't play with plastics. Totally different feel and will kill ur strings.
    Anyway ur frequency to re string is very long. Depending on ur frequency of play say once a week...3hrs game....I suggest minimum 6mths once.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk