Adding one extra cross string

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Blitzzards, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Bumping an old thread of mine with new information:

I have talked to my stringing fanatic friends about the issue lately and most everyone has agreed that the addition of that one extra cross string at the bottom does give a pronounced stiffer feel on the whole string bed. Since our respected stringing master Alan Kakinami has covered the pattern for the newer Yonex racquets as such:

[video=youtube;gkyPbOfzwrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkyPbOfzwrU[/video]

I shall present my idea on the older Yonex string pattern. I analysed racquets with the older Yonex string pattern and came up with this idea for the stringing pattern which will incorporate the extra cross:

The old Yonex pattern looks as such:

[​IMG]

I checked my AT700 and noticed that the grommets on bottom 7 and bottom 8 are double pass grommets (or large sized ones) which can accommodate two passes of strings ie for both main and cross or a tie off point. Thus technically there should be two options which can add the extra cross at the bottom:

1. The first option will be to tie off the mains at bottom 7 and start weaving the cross at bottom 8. This way the main tie off will avoid the starting of the cross string at the bottom but now we have a longer run of main string before tie off which according to quite a lot of stringers may cause the mains to loosen up in tension quicker since the overall string length is longer and longer strings scientifically have a higher stretchability.

2. The second option is the same with starting the weaving of the cross at bottom 8 but also using Alan's method which is to pre-weave the first three cross strings at the bottom right before finishing the last main string pass and then tie off on top of the cross string at either the default bottom 8 or as how Alan did it at bottom 9 (the whole method is as shown by Alan in the video above). This way the main tie off will be closer to the last main string pass and there will be no worries on the string being longer and thus maybe leading to tension loose. The only problem some people may face here is the rather specific steps that must be memorised and then replicated properly for the pattern to work or as Alan said in the video if you miss out tiny detail then you will have to discard the whole job :D

Comments?

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    true, adding extra cross string at the bottom increase the stiffness of the tension

also safeguard any mishit in that area

good job!

3. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Thanks for the Props!! Have to say I am no Master Stringer That title for me is Mark Lawrence and Tim Willis, the England Stringers!! Those guys are Masters, I learned from them.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Alan always so humble. :)

i learned a lot about stringing from Alan and he is never hesitant to share his vast knowledge. all around good guy!

kakinami likes this.
  5. sihker

sihker Regular Member

And how do you safeguard a racquet, whose engineers have safeguarded it against safeguarding? Arc-10 springs to my mind and certain Carltons. Mostly single pass grommet racquets. Has anybody tried to attach a string, whose ends are tied around the frame, not through grommets? And sorry, I haven't read this mammoth thread from beginning to the end :)

6. t3Ri1

t3Ri1 Regular Member

@kwun
    I agree with you too. I learnt a lot from him by watching the Stringfest recording. Thanks for sharing Alan!!

kakinami likes this.
  7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Thanks for the words!
    =)

8. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Actually back in the 1980's I had a number of people who used to break strings near the T joint, so I introduced an extra cross at 7 and converted to 1 piece stringing. After doing this, they were much happier and it was a lot more tolerant of mishits. This Carbonex 8 was strung a few years ago with BG65 at 16lb. You may also notice in the photograph that we used to add small leather pieces at the nearest grommets to the T joint - to give a little more resilience to the string at that sharp angle. This also helps against breakage of the center main strings. With these old racquets, if you were not careful, the head comes out more rounded than oval, hence it was important to properly secure the 2 point clamps to avoid movement. DSCN4498.jpg This gives some insight for the reasons behind adding an extra cross.

9. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I might add a correction. I think this one was moving number 8 to number 7 cross. Then I think at the top, we added an extra cross. This is if memory serves me correct - now that I look at it again. In those days, we did not have internet and stringers were only sports shops who did everything their own way. Also, in those days the racquets had single grommets - so Yonex learnt from this to add paired radiused grommets to the throat area where the main forces act.

10. General Foo

General Foo Regular Member

student
    I learnt a lot too.... appreciate the video!

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Thanks General Foo!!!

12. Din Lan

Din Lan New Member

Hello, I would like to start this old discussion again.
    I have a question for the stringing experts here in the forum.
    I bought a Yonex Astrox 100 ZZ and noticed that the racquet was strung with 22 cross strings.
    The seller says that this extra string serves as additional security in case of unclean hits and otherwise has no disadvantages compared to the official Yonex stringing recommendation and that I shouldn't worry because he knows what he is doing.
    The extra string is from Bottom B8 to b8. The knots are at the grommets Top A5, Bottom B6, b6 and B9.
    In the Grommet Bottom B9, cross and main strings meet, as well as a knot. It looks strange.
    I've searched the internet for information about these extra strings but can't find anything except this discussion on the BC forum, the last entry is from 2011.
    My question is, can this type of stringing damage the racquet, does this type really have advantages over the Yonex recommendation and has anyone on this forum had any experience with this type of stringing?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
    8789AB33-C5FF-49CC-8C7C-CFF62B405CFB.jpeg

13. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

I don't think the extra cross provides any advantage over the regular yonex pattern, but i don't think it can really hurt either, except maybe with unreasonable tension. You're not very likely to hit the shuttle with this part of the stringbed, and the shot will probably be terrible either way.
    I guess the main's knot ends up in B7 instead of B8, that means a little more slack string on the outside of the frame which i'm not a fan of, but that is nitpicking.

The knot placement is not totally unheard of, my only complaint with it is that no one calls it the "threesome knot" :p

Din Lan likes this.