Advice for new stringing machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by sparn, Jan 24, 2024.

1. sparn

sparn New Member

Hi everyone,

I need to pick the brains of the stringers in this forum so here we go :)

A little bit about me: I am a german civil engineer / software engineer who started stringing around 2 years ago. The stringer in our badminton club left and I took the chance to start stringing for our club members. I bought myself the superstringer s70 for around 400 bucks to see if I would like it, and 146 rackets later I am still enjoying it:).

The reason why I am creating this thread is the following. I was offered a job from a local badminton center to string rackets for them which can be done from home. The expected amount of rackets per week is 6-10 (10 is rare I was told). On top of that would come stringing jobs from my fellow club members, so that I can expect an average of around 8 rackets per week. While I do like my first stringing machine I am aware of its limitations.
    I need a new machine and I would love to hear your recommendations (especially from the german stringers who are familiar with tennisman)

I want to have a machine that:

- Provides reliable quality for my stringing jobs

- Is nice to handle ( semi automatic bases, electric tensioning etc. etc.)

- Is preferably easy to ship to Germany

I have watched videos from s mair regarding the Stringmaster Deluxe Se and found this machine interesting. However, I have also heard from people on this forum, that the wise is quite loud, so I would like to know if there are any other machines from tennisman or other providers, that provide perhaps a better tension head and maybe already this glide gripper module and maybe other fancy things that I would enjoy:)

If I have missed any other aspects that I should definitely consider please do enlighten me:)

The budget is not fixed to a certain amount, but I doubt that I would want to have a new high end victor or yonex machine. Per racket I earn around 10ish bucks so you can do your own calculations:)

thyrif likes this.
  2. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I had the dropweight T20 and now upgraded to the dropweight Stringmaster Deluxe and it's been great, definitely an upgrade. Have the option to get a motor later (perhaps tennisman will finally release something this year).

Dropweight is plenty fast for me, I do 10-20 a month. Takes under 30m a racket.

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    This HEAD machine on tennisman.de looks like the OEM is the same as victor and li-ning machines. It has the same ratcheted fixed clamps:
    https://www.tennisman.de/en/Other/S...esaitungsmaschine-Head-Head-TE-3300-oxid.html
    (seems product might be mislabeled. most up to date version is the Head-TE3600)

I'd price compare this with a VE-50 Pro as the "high end" of your budget.

Otherwise the best long term bang for your buck is either the tabletop or floorstand versions of this:
    Non-wise:
    https://www.tennisman.de/en/Other/S...-Electronic-Version-2-Premium-Floorstand.html

WISE version:
    https://www.tennisman.de/en/Other/S...LE-Electronic-V1-with-premium-floorstand.html

Yes the Wise can be loud, but it's reliable and with plenty of support. Great value.
    The other motor, seems quieter and smoother. None can really comment on the longevity. I'm curious how many rackets have been done so far on it from an existing owner.

Regardless of which tensioner you choose of the stringmaster deluxe setup, you can always switch it to the other in the future.
    At the volume of rackets you are estimating to get monthly purchasing either tensioner even as an upgrade/replacement is very reasonable.

Also keep in mind that a used Wise tensioner in the resale market will get snatched up fairly quickly as they seldom come up for sale individually.

#3 DarthHowie, Jan 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If all-in overkill is on the table, here's what I would be drooling over:
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...-AC-STRINGING-MACHINE-3-0-LINEAR-GRIPPER.html

Same OEM and basically the same machine as the current high end Victor and many other branded machines (like the Head TE 3600 which also looks amazing!).

If you want to stay reasonable, then IMO the StringMaster Deluxe still is the best bang for the buck you can get:
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...xe-LE-Elektronik-V2-mit-Premiumstandfuss.html

I'm using the V2 tension head now for around 80 rackets and it performs just great. So much smoother and more quiet than the WISE - I would not go back to the WISE.

Another option would be the iTennis T2:
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...Besaitungsmaschine-iTennis-T2-elektronik.html

Build quality is on par with the StringMaster, main difference is the locking action of the clamp bases.

#4 s_mair, Jan 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  5. sparn

sparn New Member

Thank you very much for your advice already it is much appreciated:)

https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...-AC-STRINGING-MACHINE-3-0-LINEAR-GRIPPER.html
    while this does look like a sexy machine I am not sure I am willing to go all out yet^^ + the fact that they are warning about the weight is another point I am not overlooking.

https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...xe-LE-Elektronik-V2-mit-Premiumstandfuss.html
    This machine had caught my eye as well and at the moment this is my favourite. The only downturner I see is that this machine is currently not in stock (I think march is the date). Do you happen to know if there is any way to get this setup faster than march?

6. DarthHowie

It is probably worth the wait since we're already at the end of January. If you don't live too far, maybe you can save a few euros in shipping if there is an option to pick it up directly from them.

The wait doesn't seem so long considering many of the cargo ships from Asia are being diverted to take the long way (around south africa instead of suez canal) due to the armed conflicts. I'd lock in that price as future shipments may cost more to cover the added shipping costs.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

StringMaster machines are sold exclusively by Tennisman, so no chance to get the same machine earlier than that. You should still give them a call or write an e-mail and ask about the latest shipping information. Shipping dates have been pretty "volatile" in the past couple of years.

And speaking of weight - the StringMaster will most likely be shipped in two or even three separate packages. And coming from the S70, this will feel like a tank already. The Dunlop/Head might add another couple of kg, but I guess the issue with those is that they ship in one single package.

8. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I also think it will be worth the wait as tennisman is preparing for a new motor to be released (around Feb/March)

9. akatsuki2104

I also think it will be worth the wait as tennisman is preparing for a new motor to be released (around Feb/March)

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

last info I got about that V3(?) motor is that it will not be available before summer 2024. And from what I've seen in the first prototype video, it doesn't seem to be a real upgrade to the V2, but basically a comparable motor from Xpider (OEM of the StringMaster machines). So I don't think this will be worth the wait for another half a year if the V2 is available again shortly.

11. akatsuki2104

If so, then yeah, not really worth the wait. Plus, I don't see what could be improved from the V2 which looks already good and have every function needed

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

V2 is made in China, V3 then will be made in Taiwan (which doesn't have to be an upgrade per se) and from what I've seen will have a more smooth look. I will ask Tennisman if it's okay to share the prototype video in here, so you could make up your own opinion in terms of pulling action and other features.

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  13. akatsuki2104

I did share the last update out of excitement and completely forgot to ask for permission. I felt really sorry afterwards :oops:

So except from the look, nothing really change then

#13 akatsuki2104, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  14. DarthHowie

My VE-50 Pro came in 3 separate (heavy) boxes. I'm guessing it will be about the same for the Dunlop/Head.

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Turned out to be a good time to ask for an update. So here’s the latest facts regarding the V3 tensioning motor… the final name will be „Ennoxx“ by the way.

First of all, here’s the video of the prototype:

Second, the machines scheduled to arrive end of March will already be equipped with this motor. So it looks like this will replace the V2 very quickly.

Internally it’s supposed to be based on the same mechanics as the tensioner of the „big“ Xpider/StringMaster machines like the Diamond and Pro Tour. So… sounds all very promising.

16. sparn

sparn New Member

This does look indeed very promising. Difficult to stay patient now though^^
    Thank you very much for sharing more details

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

18. akatsuki2104

I would have love to have a color option like the white on the video haha :p

s_mair likes this.
  19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

agreed 100%, that adds a very nice touch!

20. DarthHowie

Mounting bracket for crank machine caught my attention!

s_mair likes this.