Advice on Duora 33 racket for beginner

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by optimystery, Jun 21, 2018.

1. optimystery

optimystery New Member

Hi,

Another newbie question here!

I just had my first badminton session (half coached half playing) in nearly 30 years.
    I'm male, 44yrs, 65kg and only previously played for 1 summer when I was about 16.. so, definitely beginner.
    I'm probably going to be playing once a week, mixed doubles.
    I'm reasonably fit and agile, and competitive.
    I don't know yet what my style is as far as attacking or defending.

I was recommended to buy a medium flex, medium balance racket for not too much money by the club, as well as shoes.

Got a good deal on Asics Gel Rocket 7 shoes, and after a lot of searching around decided to buy Yonex Duora 33 for £55. Mainly based on one review that said it would be a good balanced racket.
    I went ahead and ordered it, but afterward saw a couple of reviews saying its not for beginners, and is an attacking style racket.

My question is whether Yonex Duora 33 would be a suitable racket for me?
    I hadn't realised when I bought it that it has a forehand and backhand side, which are colour-coded.
    I think I should be able to get used to holding it the right way round though :)

Is there some other reason it's not meant for beginners?
    I can always return and exchange it

But maybe at this stage it doesn't make too much difference?
    Perhaps I should just chill and be grateful for a quality racket and learn how to play with it, but thought it would be a good idea to check on here just in case anyone has any advice to the contrary

#1 optimystery, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    you should get a Voltric DG racket. that will be somewhat better. totally from the PoV that they are more durable to be played in doubles and flexy eenough for a beginner.
    although, nothing on duo33, its a good racket for beginners. invest in your gameplay rather than your equipment. you have selected good shoes.

3. optimystery

optimystery New Member

Thanks, I will look at Voltric DG..
    For some reason there are basically no reviews of Duora33 anywhere!

4. optimystery

optimystery New Member

Except for this one:

which says the 33 is both stiff and medium flex in different parts of the review